PDA

View Full Version : Using a Modem from my old account for a new account

williamsdaduk
01-03-2007, 23:43
Hello this is my first post here, hoping someone could help?

In january I cancelled my ntl account (tv,phone,braodband) mainly because I wanted to go to sky for the tv. I've since been involved in a very long and drawn out process of trying to get sky broadband through my phone line. I gave up today and phoned what is now 'virgin media' and signed up a new account for just broadband.

I start a new job working from home on monday 5th and desperately need to get a decent connection sorted as i have now been without broadband for 2 months! I was less than delighted when Virgin Media scheduled an engineer to install my new cable modem on 26th March!! which is a complete joke ...

I asked if i could simply plug in my existing modem NTL250. I was transferred. The woman i spoke to said no i couldnt because its mac address has been registered under my old account. I said could they post me the new modem?

I was transferred again. This time the guy i spoke to said that they were having distribution problems and could not post it ... however, he assured me if i re-ran the setup cd with my existing modem and entered my new PIN it would work ok and that it would be good for me as they wont actually charge me until the new modem is fitted by an engineer on 26th!

Having been given two conflicting opinions, I went for my only option and ran the install cd. Everything went fine except when it went to register on the network it recognised my modem and asked for my login details of my OLD account before i'd had a chance to enter in the new PIN i've been given.

So it looks like the first person is poke to was right. Does anyone know a way around this? is it possible to de-register a modem? can i change the mac address?

Chris W
02-03-2007, 00:20
:welcome:

You can't change the mac address. Unfortunately you will have to wait for a new modem.

REM
02-03-2007, 12:38
"I'm sorry to hear that the 26th is too far away for installation. Of course you can use your old NTL:250 modem. Let me just transfer the mac address from your defunct account to the new one. OK that's done. You should be ready to go. Thank you for saving us the trouble of sending out an engineer. We'll give you the first two months free. Welcome back to Virgin Media. Have a nice day"

That should have been the conversation with CS