PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Drops Every 5-10mins

benjy_reed1986
01-03-2007, 17:57
Hey ive been having a really annoying problem as of late where if im downloading at full bandwidth (500kb/s) my net drops after about 5 mins, sumtimes as fast as 30 seconds, all i have to do to have a connection again is enable and disable the connection in network connections and im fine for another 5 mins!

I have a NTL250 Modem and live in Huddersfield HD3 area

Playing online games is usually fine as my connection holds up wen just browsing or playing sumthing like counterstrike but it is by no means stable, i have ping spikes and a general laggy feel, and if i use a teamspeak program such as Ventrilo i have the same problem as with the downloading, i disconnect every 10-15 mins.

p.s Im new to these forums so if u need any information ill be happy to post it.

Saying that it just disconnected in the time it took me to register and write this! wen i pressed submit new thread it tried loading, i disabled and enabled the connection again and here i am posting it!

knrodgers
01-03-2007, 18:55
I sometimes have the same problem & have to use the repair connection icon in the system tray, or sometimes have to reboot the PC to regain the connection. VERY annoying, but doesn't seem to happen anytime I'm actually surfing from page to page, just when I stop on a page for 10 or 20 minutes. Must admit it hasn't happened much recently (fingers crossed).

paul nolan
01-03-2007, 19:22
I had the problem of dropped connections for a number of months, and eventually found it was the "Zone Alarm" Firewall programme causing all the problems.

I changed Firewall to Comodo, and no problems since....

Paul K
01-03-2007, 19:30
If you have a software firewall sometimes you have to list the UBR IP addresses in the trusted list or you can actually cause your own problems.

benjy_reed1986
01-03-2007, 20:00
I use Norton Internet Security 2007

where do i find my UBR IP address's?

sorry im new :D

cheers for the quick replies

Could it be Ethernet Settings, such as Flow Control and Hardware Checksumming, Interrup moderation Speed & Duplex etc?

Paul K
01-03-2007, 20:02
If your settings were left as default then you should be fine. If you read through here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/ipaddr.html#ubrip) you will find more info on how to get your UBR IP.

benjy_reed1986
01-03-2007, 20:04
Thanks Alot Paul, hope it works :D

Paul K
01-03-2007, 20:07
One thing you could try which is a more drastic action would be to temporarily uninstall Nortons, enable the Windows firewall and see if it continues.
Can you give us more information as to how you are connected and what hardware/ software is in your setup?

benjy_reed1986
02-03-2007, 21:32
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers for my ethernet card and it really feels abit more stable but i havent fully tested it out yet so ill post back if this aint worked!

Just incase:-

Windows XP Pro

Asus A8R-MVP Motherboard
^uses a Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Controller

AMD Athlon X2 4800+

2Gb of Corsair RAM

Radeon X1900

AndyCambs
02-03-2007, 21:34
I used Norton once and found it a complete and absolute pain.