PDA

View Full Version : Oversubscribed UBR's - how many ?

Spooky_uk
01-03-2007, 14:57
Interested in what areas of the UK have oversubscribed UBR's at the moment? Definatley here in Bradford, and I have heard plenty of places mentioned in various forums - just trying to get a picture of extent of the problems.

In my own case they (telewest) admitted my lack of 10mb is down to that and could not give a timeframe for the upgrade. Virgin do not seem to be upfront with the problem either. A status page with which areas/UBR's need upgrades with date to completion is not too much to ask surely! And in light of the 20mb announcment - they need to pull their socks up pretty sharpish...

Anyway - fire away :)

york
01-03-2007, 19:23
Lincoln is oversubscribed, has been for months.

Haggis36
01-03-2007, 21:06
Yup, pretty much (after lots of ranting) got told it's a UBR problem.......

and yeah, 20mb! they can't even sort out 4 and 10 yet!!!

concepttwenty20
01-03-2007, 21:29
20mb will be a challenge

Redbull69
02-03-2007, 08:23
Kettering in Northamptonshire is oversubscribed, my 10 Mb connection by the afternoon is down to under half a Meg, again as you state Virgin will not tell me when they propose to fix it? so far it's been like this since Christmas.

Spooky_uk
02-03-2007, 11:37
can anyone posting, post what area they are in too(if not already done), thanks :)

REM
02-03-2007, 12:19
I get consistent 10mb/s 24/7 here in Coventry. Does that mean my UBR is holding up ok?

awibble
02-03-2007, 12:23
SL1 has been getting near constant 10mb/s

Spooky_uk
02-03-2007, 12:51
obviously just taking the ****, I am not interested if you have the full 10mb. What does the thread title say??

It really is like banging your head against a brick wall isn't it?

brundles
02-03-2007, 13:00
But by posting an area that is known to be OK and not suffer from over-subscription you'll cut down on posts along the lines of "does anyone know about my area?"

Oh, and I'm glad my local area (SL1 :) ) is fully stocked ;)

drbop
02-03-2007, 15:03
Here in Stoke (ST3) its a similar story. Sorry your UBR is oversubscribed and we don't know when its going to get upgraded.

Thankfully I'm having BT reinstalled. :cool:

awibble
02-03-2007, 16:03
obviously just taking the ****, I am not interested if you have the full 10mb. What does the thread title say??

It really is like banging your head against a brick wall isn't it?

Well if i can get near constant 10mb it means that its probably not over subscribed. If you find there are 10 that are over subscribed, and no one tells you about the undersubscribed ones, how will know if they are over subscribed and no one from the area comes on the forum. Was trying to help, thats all

Oh, and I'm glad my local area (SL1 :) ) is fully stocked ;)

Yeah, You oviously know the area so if i tell you im off richards way in cippenham (just near the school / community centre). Actually everyone but one house down this street has Virgin now, so it might be getting worse, but still good speeds.

Haggis36
02-03-2007, 18:14
I'm in Edinburgh, running at between 2 and 4mb depending on time of day. Should be on the 'up to 10mb' service........not really too much of a problem, but annoying when they advertise the XL at those projected speeds when they should really come clean and say it depends on area etc.

This particular clause doesn't explain enough......

*** The speeds we quote are based on our technology, and yours, working at optimum speeds. In practice factors like the speed a website can support, the amount of traffic accessing it, and content caching, can cause speeds to vary.

awibble
02-03-2007, 19:30
I'm in Edinburgh, running at between 2 and 4mb depending on time of day. Should be on the 'up to 10mb' service........not really too much of a problem, but annoying when they advertise the XL at those projected speeds when they should really come clean and say it depends on area etc.

This particular clause doesn't explain enough......
Try calling faults, they got mine upto 10mb from 6mb

sollp
02-03-2007, 19:55
Can anyone give anyone proper evidence towards the conclusion that there UBR is, "Oversubcribed" other than, "my connection is slow so thats the proof".

Without sounding arrogant your not going to know this is the case, you'll speak to Broadband support and to be honest they not going to know if it is most of the time.

Like with BT the equipment is upgraded or in Virginmedias case the UBR and other equipment in the network is upgraded in stages when nearing certain criteria. After reaching a certain point work is carried out until the next stage is reached and so on.

There might be 100's of reason's why your connection is slow including contention issues ect

Haggis36
02-03-2007, 20:02
Been there, done that.........and after lots of testing, they're calling it a over-subscribed UBR problem :(

Will stick with it though......if I go quiet they'll forget ;-)

awibble
02-03-2007, 20:04
i would asked to be charged for what youre recieving then

Haggis36
02-03-2007, 20:13
Not knowing is not exactly helpful it is........you can't state on the BB XL package 'up to 10mb' and then put - "if you don't we don't know why!"

To keep badgering, is to find out what's going on to a certain degree (and yes, they won't give you exact details) but from what I can see they have a big problem getting 'up to 10mb' for a fair number of people and surely that is enough to keep at it. I may have tried some 20 of the 100 odd reasons you suggest, others may have tried more or less. At the end of the day, especially for non-technical people, they are expecting a service that they upgrade to without having to go through all these tests and more.........

If they can't provide the service nationwide then they need to make that clear and have timescales for updates of work in progress in order to unify everyone's connections.

Don't know if this is any help, but this is from the newsgroups

When slow speeds are reported we check using a number tools. We can quickly
check the upstream utilisation in one tool, it links to graphical tool that
gives upstream & downstream bandwidth usage. We can then run checks
directly on the UBR to show utilisation in real time.
The fixes are varied. It could be just balancing required, by moving some
customers to different upstreams, to an updated IOS, to updatedhardware, or
a new UBR.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Can you get a discount though if it's part of a package?

Spooky_uk
03-03-2007, 00:41
Can anyone give anyone proper evidence towards the conclusion that there UBR is, "Oversubcribed" other than, "my connection is slow so thats the proof".

Without sounding arrogant your not going to know this is the case, you'll speak to Broadband support and to be honest they not going to know if it is most of the time.

Like with BT the equipment is upgraded or in Virginmedias case the UBR and other equipment in the network is upgraded in stages when nearing certain criteria. After reaching a certain point work is carried out until the next stage is reached and so on.

There might be 100's of reason's why your connection is slow including contention issues ect

2nd line support confirmed it to me. as for upgrading before I managed to drag that confession out of them they admitted they had known of the over-utilisation for 12 months and would be 6-12 months until any upgrade(no guarantees - it still may not happen), and my experiences through all of this are posted on a thread in amuch bigger forum than this one as it happened with regualr updates so its all out there. SO yes you are being arrogant, I started this thread because I know my UBR needs upgrading and there are plenty others too, I wanted to know which. VM are aware of this issue and if want to question it **** off somewhere else to do it ok?

brundles
03-03-2007, 01:02
Yeah, You oviously know the area so if i tell you im off richards way in cippenham (just near the school / community centre). Actually everyone but one house down this street has Virgin now, so it might be getting worse, but still good speeds.

That's way too close - probably about a minutes walk in it! Get off my bandwidth! :p:

jerryl
03-03-2007, 09:32
portsmouth po5 area, according to engineers it is an overused UBR area, they tried turning it off but they said it kept on "resetting" which is hard to believe since im having a problem from october until now

murfitUK
03-03-2007, 10:31
I'm in Stoke ST4 and had an engineer out in response to my complaints of slow/non-existent internet connection. He confirmed that the box was oversubscribed and didn't know when anything would be done about it.

After 6 months of complaining eventually got CS to agree to half price internet. Was supposed to show in this months bill but still full price for the 4meg service. I was on the phone again yesterday and the CS rep said the bill had been adjusted from next month - I'll wait and see.

allanprg
03-03-2007, 10:40
portsmouth po5 area, according to engineers it is an overused UBR area, they tried turning it off but they said it kept on "resetting" which is hard to believe since im having a problem from october until now

My 2mb is alright in the PO5 area. The only trouble i had was between September and November. I get near full speed day and night. I'm on the 250 modem.:)

hooli
03-03-2007, 11:20
Been there, done that.........and after lots of testing, they're calling it a over-subscribed UBR problem :(

Will stick with it though......if I go quiet they'll forget ;-)

Hi there, I'm in EH11 of Edinburgh and I got the same answer as you. I've stuck with it for now 6 months. High packet loss and high latency are my bugbears, I'm personally not bothered about bandwidth as long as I can play on line fine with no lag - which I've not been able to do since the summer.

I will add that I've been doing several trace routes and I personally think its VM's backbone that is the problem. The routers based in South London where I go through to get to any london based servers are getting critical pings, sometimes over 3000ms.

Haggis36
03-03-2007, 11:58
Hi there, I'm in EH11 of Edinburgh and I got the same answer as you. I've stuck with it for now 6 months. High packet loss and high latency are my bugbears, I'm personally not bothered about bandwidth as long as I can play on line fine with no lag - which I've not been able to do since the summer.

EH4 here - seems a long standing problem for a lot of people.

Unfortunately, those looking at the VM site and packages, and deciding to switch over to the 'up to 10mb' service will no doubt be dissapointed. As will 'new' customers.........but yeah, it's more of an issue with online gaming etc, so your general web surfers will not be too bothered about just sticking with 2 or 4mb.

Carl J
03-03-2007, 13:51
Shhh all of you, you do know that cable gives full speed all the time unlike ADSL, the ads say so so it must be true ;)

stooeh
03-03-2007, 14:50
Leeds LS6 over subscribed - student haven, problems went away over xmas when they went home to parents lol. Blackpool FY1 is not overscribed btw :D (my old house).

swapshop1
03-03-2007, 15:12
To York post 2: my area of lincoln is fine. 10mb all day every day, birchwood area

Haggis36
03-03-2007, 15:15
"VM gives you wings" :)

bilal
03-03-2007, 15:26
Well I had a disconnetion problem for ages and it would disconnect at peak times at 4-5 and I would have to reset the modem to get my connection back.

After various phone calls to tech support I finally got someone who knew what they were talking about. They go the UBR I was with was oversubscribed and they said they'd move me to another one and in a couple of days it should stop. Couple of days went by and it stopped disconnection at the usual 5 o clock time.

This lasted for a while and about 2 months ago it started doing it again. Haven't been bothered to phone up yet but will do when I can be bothered.

janipewter
03-03-2007, 15:51
I don't think my UBR is oversubscribed, just buggered. A typical speed test between 10am and 10pm will give around 1Mb. Did a test at 5am this morning and it was 0.5Mb.

sollp
03-03-2007, 20:46
2nd line support confirmed it to me. as for upgrading before I managed to drag that confession out of them they admitted they had known of the over-utilisation for 12 months and would be 6-12 months until any upgrade(no guarantees - it still may not happen), and my experiences through all of this are posted on a thread in amuch bigger forum than this one as it happened with regualr updates so its all out there. SO yes you are being arrogant, I started this thread because I know my UBR needs upgrading and there are plenty others too, I wanted to know which. VM are aware of this issue and if want to question it **** off somewhere else to do it ok?

MMMM, was going to suggest you PM me post code so i could look at the UBR and see for myself, don't suppose i will bother now.

Any suggestions where i can go?

Spooky_uk
04-03-2007, 00:43
MMMM, was going to suggest you PM me post code so i could look at the UBR and see for myself, don't suppose i will bother now.

Any suggestions where i can go?

If you are a VM then identify yourself as such instead of skulking around, after the hassle I have had off VM CS/TS I am in no mood for games.
You wonder why customers get hacked off? I guess not. If you were paying for a service you were not getting and got messed around and passed between CS and TS you'd be ****ed off too. And my patience is all but gone now. (I do have tape recordings with your TS telling me different stories one after the other and 2nd Line confirming my UBR is oversubscribed) but now they tell me it isn't anymore. Whats going on? Do I know? No. Does VM TS know? Looks like not. shocking. no wonder Mr Branson was against it.

Kiigan
04-03-2007, 10:52
I'm in Dundee, going to a UBR in Glasgow apparently.
Since the 18th Feb 2007 my net connection has been pretty unusable, and VM are claiming it is down to high TX on the UBR ("which is affecting about 20 people from your area"). The issue was raised on the 18th, and they still have no movement on this issue and no estimate for when it'll be solved.

I don't really have much choice - I have to go back to ADSL now, because I need net access at home and can't wait indefinitely for VM to get their thumb out. The best line I've heard so far? One genius at VM told me "that's not too bad, some people have been stuch with oversubscribed UBR problems for more than 8 months". Doesn't that just fill you with confidence!?

Carl J
04-03-2007, 14:39
I'm in Dundee, going to a UBR in Glasgow apparently.
Since the 18th Feb 2007 my net connection has been pretty unusable, and VM are claiming it is down to high TX on the UBR ("which is affecting about 20 people from your area").

*snicker* so 20 people have oversubscribed your connection.

I sense bovine excreta.

If you're a former Telewest customer it also seems a bit odd that you'd be going to ntl equipment in Glasgow rather than using the routers in Dundee that have been there for years.

My other minor concern with that is that your connection can only travel 100km of cable length before it has to reach a UBR due to latency and timing restrictions, while the distance by road between Glasgow and Dundee is 90 miles.

I call BS and blaggery on what you were fed from start to finish sir.

Paul
04-03-2007, 14:45
I'm in Dundee, going to a UBR in Glasgow apparently.No you're not - I can see you are on Dundee UBR06.

sollp
04-03-2007, 19:04
If you are a VM then identify yourself as such instead of skulking around, after the hassle I have had off VM CS/TS I am in no mood for games.
You wonder why customers get hacked off? I guess not. If you were paying for a service you were not getting and got messed around and passed between CS and TS you'd be ****ed off too. And my patience is all but gone now. (I do have tape recordings with your TS telling me different stories one after the other and 2nd Line confirming my UBR is oversubscribed) but now they tell me it isn't anymore. Whats going on? Do I know? No. Does VM TS know? Looks like not. shocking. no wonder Mr Branson was against it.

I can understand frustration, but to tell anyone to **** off, when either giving advice or not, or a VM employee or not, isn't the correct thing to do on this forum.

NTLVictim
04-03-2007, 19:13
I can understand frustration, but to tell anyone to **** off, when either giving advice or not, or a VM employee or not, isn't the correct thing to do on this forum.

It is if you cannot reach them by any other means....VM, that is.:)

Virgin Mary
04-03-2007, 19:18
DocsDiag is no longer working, that is

jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -traffic

no longer works, so how can one tell that their ubr is oversubscribed?

A different question, did they fix the problem when all the modems used t end up to the same up-stream? How frequently do they balance (refragment) the ubrs?

jerryl
04-03-2007, 20:12
allanprg, i phoned techincians and they knew the area was either getting high latency issues or low speed issues, im getting high latency all day but perfect speed day and night.

Spooky_uk
04-03-2007, 22:23
I can understand frustration

You have absolutley no idea. NO IDEA. So stop pretending you do.

Don't try skulking around in the shadows of a public forum, singing the praises of your employers and dropping in toeing the party line and attempting to offer assistance with taints of sarcasm when its not needed, because the whole place needs a damn good clean out - it really does.
You really think you can do a better job than the countless 1st and 2nd line support that have already spoken to me? Actaully probably slightly yes seen as they must have had one brain cell between them. Whatever just do yourself a favour and try not to antagonise me any further. When VM sort their house out and actually provide a service that delivers what they advertise/promise and what I supposedly pay for every month I'll chill out, until then it's war and it going to get bloodier as far as I can see. Telewest could do it 12 months or so ago, until NTHELL took the reins that is, shame VM have yet to take up the challenge.

And that's what the forum auto-censor is for.

Hugh
04-03-2007, 23:06
Wow!
(mental pictures)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/03/13.gifhttps://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/03/13.gif

Spooky_uk
04-03-2007, 23:32
Wow!
(mental pictures)

http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/11.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/angry1/5.gif

yes Mr Angry is here, and he ain't taking no VM prisoners :D

Paul
04-03-2007, 23:40
And that's what the forum auto-censor is for.No it isn't.

I suggest you count to 10 before you post again because you are currently heading towards a warning for abusing other members.

sollp
04-03-2007, 23:40
You have absolutley no idea. NO IDEA. So stop pretending you do.

Don't try skulking around in the shadows of a public forum, singing the praises of your employers and dropping in toeing the party line and attempting to offer assistance with taints of sarcasm when its not needed, because the whole place needs a damn good clean out - it really does.
You really think you can do a better job than the countless 1st and 2nd line support that have already spoken to me? Actaully probably slightly yes seen as they must have had one brain cell between them. Whatever just do yourself a favour and try not to antagonise me any further. When VM sort their house out and actually provide a service that delivers what they advertise/promise and what I supposedly pay for every month I'll chill out, until then it's war and it going to get bloodier as far as I can see. Telewest could do it 12 months or so ago, until NTHELL took the reins that is, shame VM have yet to take up the challenge.

And that's what the forum auto-censor is for.

Who's skulking round in the shadows you fool, antagonise you, why not. Like I said previously I give advice but don't expect the reaction I got, ever wondered why your not getting the help?

Try being civil and people on here and they might go out of there way to help you.

You talk about having no idea as if it is unique to yourself, remember we all encounter problems with various companies that provides services or goods, so your not unique in your frustration.

NTLVictim
05-03-2007, 00:05
Just a thought, members of Parliament and local government have to declare their interests in public, how about the VM employees on here all coming clean?

Spooky_uk
05-03-2007, 00:27
Who's skulking round in the shadows you fool, antagonise you, why not. Like I said previously I give advice but don't expect the reaction I got, ever wondered why your not getting the help?

Try being civil and people on here and they might go out of there way to help you.

You talk about having no idea as if it is unique to yourself, remember we all encounter problems with various companies that provides services or goods, so your not unique in your frustration.

Here will not resolve my problem. I may be venting but whose fault is that? Not mine matey. You'll have to look closer at home.

Ok then Mr Know it All - quick summary

Spring 2006 (Telewest) 10MB all fine - getting up to 10mb.

April 2006 - September 2006 - speeds decreasing slowly but surely until less than 2mb. Kept putting it off thinking they'll be doing upgrades, give them the benefit of the doubt etc. speeds will be back up again in notime.

OCtober 2006 - Speeds dropped to less than dial up levels. Had enough, called C/S & TS. Now listen up - this is where it gets interesting. Over a period of 6 weeks or so I spent over 26 hours on the phone to them. Yes that is a correct figure (a lot of it on hold mind you). I spoke to numerous people. I was passed around dept to dept. My equipemnt was blamed, wrong. Sent an engineer out - confirmed everything ok at my end must be a network problem, passed this back to whoever. Consistent follow up calls after the visit to find out any further info resulted in every person I spoke to go going through their script and tests yet again, every time. What a waste of time and resources? Already been there and done that. I spoke to 2nd line of several occasions and was told one thing after another. I made them aware I was recording them and have several recordings telling completely different tales and dismissing the last person as not knowing what he was on about when I told them what I had been told previosly.
Eventually got to speak to a manager in 2nd line (mid november time) who explained that the UBR I was connecting to was over-subscribed they had known about it for qite a few months and that there was no date for upgrade, and at least 6 months away, probably more in reality. suggested i downgrade to 4mb. why should I? You were and still are advertising/selling 10mb in this area and not warning customers of this issue. Mis-selling at best. Its a shame the regulator has no teeth in this matter.

Also the next bill that came after the engineer visit they tried to charge me £10 for not been in when the engineer called. what a load of BS.

Speeds are still bad now, they picke dup slightly in Jan/Feb and in the early hours managed up to about 5.5MB. Fastest in a long while. did not last long htough and is now down to ususal 2-4mb in I am lucky. Much much slower during normal use periods (every eve and all weekends).

I called last week to enquire about the UBR and any upgrade date yet and guess what - I was told there were no reported issues at this time. Wheres that brick wall again.

When you mess customers around this much, what do you expect?

Trying to get everybody together that has experienced similar issues to either demand/force action, investigate legal routes or embarress them into doing something is useless, as its everybody for himself unfortunatley.

As for your last statement - I do not need to remind you just how well thoughtof NTL Customer Service/Technical Support was/is. It is legendary, everyone knows it, everyone. you fool no-one.

---------- Post added at 00:27 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Just a thought, members of Parliament and local government have to declare their interests in public, how about the VM employees on here all coming clean?

yes a valid question.

Here's sore more - VM know that UBR's are over-subscribed and upgrades are not forthcoming (for whatever reason).

Why not come clean and admit this?

WHy is this not conveyed to not only current customers but new ones signing up for (and paying money every month) speeds they will not attain until VM invest more at their end in affected areas. Why the secrecy?
(you can't hide behind "up to 10mb" if you are getting dial up speed - pretty sure that would not sit well with any judge if brought before him)

Are all UBR's going to be upgraded before the PR stunt of 20MB rolls out?
If not I would say thats going to more than embarrass you (especially if it tips more UBR's over the threshold)

Kiigan
05-03-2007, 12:20
No you're not - I can see you are on Dundee UBR06.

Ah, it is the lies that hurt the most. Now I don't know what to believe :)

Forgive my ignorance, as a consumer I haven't a clue when they chuck all this mumbo jumbo at me.

I think they meant that Dundee UBR06 is in turn is connected upstream to a router in Glenrothes, which is where the high Tx problem lies, apparently. The bottom line is that they claim it'll be fixed before April, as they have decided to upgrade the equipment at the exchange in Q1 (which ends at the end of March). Not sure I can hang around on the off-chance they'll do what they say they will though.

Haggis36
05-03-2007, 17:03
Ofcom won't even deal with until you've made a formal complaint -

If your Internet Service Provider refuses to resolve your concerns - or says there is nothing it can do - then please make a formal complaint to the company. You should find details of how to do this on your Internet Service Provider’s website. If you can’t find these details, the company’s customer service staff will tell you how to make a formal complaint.

If after that you get no luck then you have to complain to ADR!

All companies must belong to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. The ADR scheme acts as an independent middleman between the company and the customer. If the company’s in the wrong, the ADR scheme can order the company to fix the problem and, if needed, pay compensation.

You should find details of the company’s ADR scheme either on the back of your phone bill, or available from the company’s customer services staff.

Phone companies are breaking important consumer protection rules if they don’t belong to an ADR scheme. So if your phone company won’t tell you about its ADR scheme, we need to know about the company so we can take investigate further.

The problems you are experiencing may be complex. In cases such as these it is usually best to talk through what has happened with one of our specialist advisers. This will enable us to get as many details from you as possible and give you specific guidance on what you should do next.

No luck from that.........then Ofcom! In the meantime weeks and weeks, months and months, go by and probably by the time your complaint is actioned upon, you're finally getting 10mb, presto! - So what's all that for! complaining should be quick and efficient!

And, on the VM site, I can't even find a "Complaints Procedure"?!!!!

Carl J
05-03-2007, 17:29
Ah, it is the lies that hurt the most. Now I don't know what to believe :)

Forgive my ignorance, as a consumer I haven't a clue when they chuck all this mumbo jumbo at me.

I think they meant that Dundee UBR06 is in turn is connected upstream to a router in Glenrothes, which is where the high Tx problem lies, apparently. The bottom line is that they claim it'll be fixed before April, as they have decided to upgrade the equipment at the exchange in Q1 (which ends at the end of March). Not sure I can hang around on the off-chance they'll do what they say they will though.

*Collapses in fits of laughter.

Hahahaha so they've oversubscribed a core network link between your UBR and the rest of the network and it's only affecting 20 people. Only 20 people on a UBR, uber :D

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

<snip>

The really sad part is that we are talking about companies that have been offering broadband for 6+ years now, it should be immediately obvious that there are congestion issues.

You wonder how much money they waste on truck rolls and repeat tech support calls for congestion issues. They should really have a very simple little flashing light on someone's account when the tools are used to check out their line that says 'OMG it's busy'.

Really not that hard, but it's things like this which are why in all its' years and debt for equity swapping UK cable still is unable to make money.

horseradish
05-03-2007, 17:39
You are better off writting to Watchdog (BBC), if they get enough complaints it will bring the whole issue out and they will have to publically admit the issue.

I am in Croydon and have the 10mb connection, although if you check it its more like 4mb.

Which is a **** take as I am paying the extra for no additional services. In fact BT offer a 5mb which would be just as fast.

Spooky_uk
05-03-2007, 17:48
How much money did the rebranding cost? Quite a lot I bet (having worked for a large UK company when they re-branded - milllions)

How much money will be wasted in Bransons ill-fated attempt to fight SKy and buy show rights for VOD?

All the while they can't deliver the internet speeds they still continue to advertise.

Carl J
05-03-2007, 17:49
The crappy part about it all is of course that all major ISPs here seem to reserve the right to give customers the mushroom treatment :(

Tiscali, VM, yes yes Sky, BT, all big ISPs do it :(

All you can do is scream and complain and hope that they get it sorted.

sollp
05-03-2007, 23:02
The crappy part about it all is of course that all major ISPs here seem to reserve the right to give customers the mushroom treatment :(

Tiscali, VM, yes yes Sky, BT, all big ISPs do it :(

All you can do is scream and complain and hope that they get it sorted.

Must agree they do.

Spooky_uk
05-03-2007, 23:41
Must agree they do.

I see you are avoiding the questions I put to you. Can't say I am suprised, because there is no defence. All talk.

inquisitor
06-03-2007, 18:25
Edinburgh ubr12 (EH11 area) here. I'm technically paying for 4Mbps, but I haven't had that for two months now - the worst is on Saturday afternoons where it generally lulls around ~200kbit. Every time a question is asked on the support newsgroup about this (it has a ticket number, and has since October) from one of the many people there with the same issue, it is responded with "it's an overloaded UBR, we're asking for an update from planning since it doesn't have a date for when it's fixed, sorry". This has been at least once a week since the end of January. No updates whatsoever.

It's seriously frustrating - before this, I could get full speed downloads at any time of day or night without hindrance, straight from when I joined Telewest to January this year. Uploads, oddly, are still very much OK - even when the line is at its worst I get a full ~370kbps upload speed - so it's very much an issue with the UBR's downstream. Why they can't even give a date for fixing it after so long since the ticket opened is beyond me.

JamShady
07-03-2007, 19:45
I'm supposed to be on 10Mb, and at best I'm getting 2Mb (Cardiff btw). Virgin have confirmed the UBR is over-subscribed here.

The funny thing is, I moved into my current place at the end of November from a flat 2 miles down the road. In the flat I had 10Mb for over a year at 10Mb during all times of the day, but as soon as I got here I've had nothing but problems.

qasdfdsaq
07-03-2007, 20:17
EH3 (4mb), EH9 (10mb) and CB1 (10mb) services all seem fine to me. I find it hard to believe the rest of Edinburgh is having such big problems...

Copperfaced Jack
07-03-2007, 21:18
NE26 Whitley bay in the North east here - has been going rapidly downhill in the last six months. Don't really know about d/l speeds but huge ping/latency increases which have ruined online gaming for me (which is why I got the connection in the first place. In the old Telewest days I used to phone up and they would move me straight away, saying my 'node(?)' was congested and that solved the problem with one quick friendly phone call. Happened three or four times. However since September or so, phone calls to TW - NTL - VM now result in; .....'there are no problems, we cant find anything wrong, must be spyware/malware/your pc.....and so on and so on.
Do not intend to put up with it much longer, only thing holding me back is not having a clue what to switch to.
I'm on the 4 meg service with a motorola sb5100 modem.