PDA

View Full Version : Homeplug works...sort of...

Marky Sparky
28-02-2007, 08:33
Hello all

I'm trying to set up a homeplug network with a Belkin 4-port switch router and a cable modem on virginmedia. The router is plugged into the cable modem via the wan port, and into the mains by connecting a lan port to a solwise adapter which is then plugged into a mains socket. Several solwise adapters elsewhere in the house carry the signal from the mains into the ethernet port on 3 other computers.

This ethernet over mains works very well, but only if I have one computer switched on at a time. I assume this is a limitation of the router, as it only expects one machine at the end of each lan port. Does anyone know how to work around this problem?

cheers

Mark

zing_deleted
28-02-2007, 08:44
Ive had no problem with this before.Ive had multi networks set up with no problem. I take it your router is set up as dhcp?
:welcome: to the forum :)

jamiefrost
28-02-2007, 08:44
depends how clever the solwise adaptor is.

I have 2 pcs connected to 1 port via switch. What is the problem exactly? Any details of the solwise kit may help

JJ

Marky Sparky
28-02-2007, 08:49
The router is an old Belkin wireless router set up with DCHP. Before homeplug, I had it working fine with one fixed connection and several wireless connections. I am using solwise 85Mbps adapters (PL-85PE). I also have one of their wireless access adapters. It's just the daisy chaining aspect that isn't working

Mark

zing_deleted
28-02-2007, 08:49
you are also using straight patch cables also?

Marky Sparky
28-02-2007, 09:03
The cable are cat 5 patch cables. The only difference I can ascertain is that the cables from the wan to modem and router to solwise have UTP NetX stamped on them, whereas the cable from solwise adapter to computer just have UTP.

jamiefrost
28-02-2007, 09:10
I take it the additional PCs are not being assigned an Ip address by the router, only the first PC to be switched on.

Can you manually asign an IP address to the PCs that are not working, can you then ping the other PCs?

JJ

Marky Sparky
28-02-2007, 09:17
Problem solved!

Thanks for your help. It was the cables. The whole system now working perfectly

cheers

Mark