PDA

View Full Version : STB or Modem?

Martin999
26-02-2007, 18:40
Hi
I have been having TV problems with my STB (lock ups, non updating guides, sound sync out, etc. etc.) needing it to be rebooted several times a week. At the moment my Internet (4mb) access is via my STB, would I be better trying to persuade them to give me a seperate cable modem when they replace the STB or is there no real difference?

I get a wide range of speeds when I test my link, anything from 500mb to 3.8mb but usually working out around 2.4. Not great when I am paying for 4mb. But then I am paying for Sky 1 as well!!! but that is for another forum.

Cheers
Martin

MovedGoalPosts
26-02-2007, 19:18
Presumably you have a Samsung STB. Those are definitely capable of handling the 4 meg service. Since broadband comes down the same cable as the TV signal, a separate modem and STB won't necessarily sort your problem.

Have you called faults? I'd suspect the signal getting to the STB is at an incorrect level and needs some sort of adjustment.

When you get problems does the broadband keep going while the TV fails, or do both drop out?

micah56
26-02-2007, 19:49
Sounds like the the problems i used to have, your best bet is to get a cable modem. Then hopefully these problems will go away :)

Martin999
26-02-2007, 20:03
Presumably you have a Samsung STB. Those are definitely capable of handling the 4 meg service. Since broadband comes down the same cable as the TV signal, a separate modem and STB won't necessarily sort your problem.
Yes it is a Samsung

Have you called faults? I'd suspect the signal getting to the STB is at an incorrect level and needs some sort of adjustment.

Not yet - I was going to do this later in the week as I will be off if an engineer needs to visit.

When you get problems does the broadband keep going while the TV fails, or do both drop out?

Not sure as I am watching telly at that point - don't think it fails but may relate to a slow down.

MovedGoalPosts
26-02-2007, 20:08
Not yet - I was going to do this later in the week as I will be off if an engineer needs to visit.

Make the call soon. That way, if an engineer visit is needed, you have a better chance of a convenient appointment. If you phone the day before you want the engineer and appointments are full you'll be out of luck.

ntl.wotcha
27-02-2007, 14:03
Hi
I have been having TV problems with my STB (lock ups, non updating guides, sound sync out, etc. etc.) needing it to be rebooted several times a week.

I had the same problem. It's a signal level problem, the engineer needs to come out and check it over. He put an attenuator on mine and it was perfect after that.

Martin999
27-02-2007, 20:12
Thanks for all the input - I will report it tomorrow as I am off for 8 days after that.:D