PDA

View Full Version : how can i persuade them i need a new modem?

hurricane
26-02-2007, 11:45
i currently have an ntl:120 modem, and since i upgraded to the vip package i have been suffering regular dropouts of service which can only be cured by a modem reboot, in addition to a 5mb service (i believe the 120s are only capable of 5mb?) the customer service chap i spoke to told me its because the modem isnt compatible with windows vista, which cannot be true because it worked fine on vista before i got upgraded.

cheers!

NTLVictim
26-02-2007, 11:49
A cable modem is operating system independent afaik, the VM cs bloke was talking crap.

Tell them the service is no good, so fix it or you'll leave.

bigcat
26-02-2007, 12:55
i currently have an ntl:120 modem, and since i upgraded to the vip package i have been suffering regular dropouts of service which can only be cured by a modem reboot, in addition to a 5mb service (i believe the 120s are only capable of 5mb?) the customer service chap i spoke to told me its because the modem isnt compatible with windows vista, which cannot be true because it worked fine on vista before i got upgraded.

cheers!
Wrong on both counts!

The 120 will happily handle 10mb with the correct firmware, and as for being not compatible with Vista rubbish again!:confused:

Are you connecting the modem via ethernet or usb?

Are you connecting through a router?

If the levels into your property were marginal before you upgraded, maybe the extra stb has pulled them down even further.

Have you tried the obvious, i.e making sure all the connections in the property are tight?

Do you suffer from freezing pix on either of the stb's? (a sure sign of a levels issue)

Failing that your gonna have to give BB support a call & get them to check the modem out with Bluetools (assuming its still in use of course). A handy tool we used to use in Surveillance that interrogates the modem & shows packet loss, percentage of time online, power levels, flapping etc..

hurricane
26-02-2007, 13:50
ok fair enough about the 10mb, just what i had heard! i've got no idea what firmware its got but this is what's in the operation config:

Network Access : EnabledMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum Number of CPEs : 1Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cprSoftware Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgradeSoftware Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

im connecting through usb, as i only have one ethernet port which is required for my network. i've never had any problems with it before and have always had full speed on the 4mb service. not connecting through a router.

ah, you misunderstand about the stb's. i havent got them installed yet, i've ordered them, but the broadband was upgraded immediately. i think ill have to give them a bell, probably tomorrow!

bigcat
26-02-2007, 15:00
Have you tried plugging the modem into a different usb port? (usb is not the most reliable way of connecting the modem btw, even tech support are aware of that, but if its your only option..)

If you dont want to buy a router (the best option) you could always install a 2nd network card

IIRC ntl_0002 is the correct firmware, I'm sure it was ntl_0003 that caused problems so it was rolled back.

As for a new modem, well the ntl100/120 had a "dodgy" ethernet port on some of them, which could cause a poor connection and sometimes an ethernet cable "could" get jammed in at a strage angle making the modem useless;) Not that I would suggest such a thing of course:angel:

Had a report of a cat peeing on 1 once...

Nikesh
26-02-2007, 16:24
I think it's because your using USB. If you test it out with ethernet you will find out whether it is your modem that's faulty or whether it's just because you're using USB.

hurricane
26-02-2007, 22:57
:D bigcat.

i'm sure it's not usb thats causing the problem. i've been using usb to connect my cable modem for about 5 years and never had a single problem, and upon upgrading to 10mb i get dropouts? surely the two must be related?

hurricane
27-02-2007, 16:06
incidentally, will they want to route the bb through the stb when they install my v+?

Nedkelly
27-02-2007, 16:40
10 meg through usb .I have always been told that this is not possible .As for the modem its a 50 / 50 thing i change these as i have seen a lot of faults with these 100 and 120s

Rone
27-02-2007, 16:53
I hear the new modems dont have a USB connector at all, just ethernet, so someone obviously does'nt think much of usb. ;)

Nedkelly
27-02-2007, 16:58
Yes the new VM 255 does not have a usb port its ethernet only we will start to see these in March :)

Horizon
27-02-2007, 18:08
....What will virgin do if customers don't have ethernet and can only connect via usb?

Nedkelly
27-02-2007, 19:36
We are getting ethernet to usb dongles for those customers who do not have ethernet:)

Horizon
27-02-2007, 19:45
Interesting, thanks.

Nikesh
27-02-2007, 19:58
We are getting ethernet to usb dongles for those customers who do not have ethernet:)

Wouldn't it be cheaper if Virgin Media just kept using modems that had both USB and ethernet...? :confused:

Rone
27-02-2007, 22:36
Wouldn't it be cheaper if Virgin Media just kept using modems that had both USB and ethernet...? :confused:

Probably saves at least 5p on the manufacture of the modem. ;)

Dont forget theres almost no motherboards come without ethernet these days. NTL looking to the future.