PDA

View Full Version : Car Servicing

Virgin Mary
25-02-2007, 08:47
How much is the current rate for a full service? (1.6 engine)
I only managed to get one quote, £184 from a Nationwide Autocentre for a full service. They want £224 for a major service.

To me, that's a bit steep...

bopdude
25-02-2007, 09:41
Depends on make and model of car and what garage you take it to, i.e. a main dealer will charge you more than a 'non-branded' garage mechanic. Still believe in doing it yourself is the cheapest way, if you know how that is, it's not rocket science, unless you have a super dooper flashy type engine :D

Virgin Mary
25-02-2007, 09:56
Depends on make and model of car and what garage you take it to, i.e. a main dealer will charge you more than a 'non-branded' garage mechanic. Still believe in doing it yourself is the cheapest way, if you know how that is, it's not rocket science, unless you have a super dooper flashy type engine :D

It's an old Citroen ZX 1.6, I only do 1-2,000 miles per year, I use trains all the time. I know it's easy to do but oil change can be messy :)

Xaccers
25-02-2007, 10:00
Get yourself a book of lies (haynes service and repair manual) and that will list the things you should do at the current service.
Wear thick marigolds to keep your hands clean.

Chris W
25-02-2007, 12:19
Kwikfit do servicing as well - full service £139

Virgin Mary
25-02-2007, 12:21
Kwikfit do servicing as well - full service £139

Really? Many thanks!

fireman328
25-02-2007, 14:00
I have a 2 litre auto and about 2 months ago service and MOT cost £300 from a local garage.

MovedGoalPosts
25-02-2007, 14:08
The cost of a service often varies dependant on the car and even model. Accessibility to the components, and the cost of components will affect the time needed by the garage.

Most modern cars in fact don't have that much to "service" with things like self adjusting tappits, and the like. It's a quick change of the oil and filters and maybe spark plugs and your off again. But a true service may need the engine to be checked on some sort of computer for it's emissions. Someone should also get the wheels off and have a good check of the brakes. Fluids in the braking and cooling systems might need a change. Yes a lot of that can also be done by the home mechanci, but how do you really know if the garage did it or not?

Dan_Sette
25-02-2007, 14:10

Depends on the main dealer, depends on the car. Service intervals on mine are every 18,000 miles and are split, fixed price, servicing at the main dealer. They alternate betweem an "A" service £129 or a "B" service at £359.

But, by servicing at the main dealer, you maintain the 30 year warranty. (yes, not a typo, 30 years on major components)

Dan