PDA

View Full Version : V+ and moving an existing cable modem

clueless Graham
24-02-2007, 18:13
H yet another question

I have cable broadband at the moment, but having read through some of the various post on here am I right in thinking that this changes in some way when I get V+ ?

I am moving my pc to a different room and I was just going to re route the cable to the new location. Will I be Ok moving the cable or is it a different style of cable or is it a different method of connection altogether.

You can see why I have called myself Clueless Graham :dozey:

Stuart
24-02-2007, 18:38
Depends if you are currently using a Cable Modem or STB for Broadband. If you are using a STB, the engineer will probably install a Cable Modem for you as Virgin are not supporting Broadband via STB for any new installs (your V+ will count as a new install).

You can specify if you want it installed in another room, or simply get a long ethernet cable and leave the modem where it is.

I wouldn't recommend that you move the cable modem or STB yourself. If you do, you can cause problems for yourself and other people in your street. Also, if something goes wrong (at the time or in the future), regardless of whose fault it is, you run the risk of the engineer just blaming what you've done, fixing it, and then Virgin charging you for the repair.

clueless Graham
25-02-2007, 00:08
Hi Stuart

I have a cable modem and basically all I would be doing is disconnecting the cable from the back of the modem and routing that end (not disconnecting anything else) of the cable in to another room and re connecting it back in to the same modem / pc etc that I will have moved there.

Can this cause a problem too others ?

Thanks
Graham

Stuart
25-02-2007, 00:37
Hi Stuart

I have a cable modem and basically all I would be doing is disconnecting the cable from the back of the modem and routing that end (not disconnecting anything else) of the cable in to another room and re connecting it back in to the same modem / pc etc that I will have moved there.

Can this cause a problem too others ?

Thanks
Graham

If you are going to be re-using the same cable, it should be OK, as long as the connectors are tight. It's when people try and buy in or make their own cables it can cause problems.