PDA

View Full Version : Euro PS3 to play fewer old games

TheBlueRaja
23-02-2007, 18:57
Sony spokesperson purportedly stated that "backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as in the US and Japanese models." The reason, while still not pinpointed, could potentially be linked to the Euro-spec'd PS3 rocking a "new chassis" designed to bring manufacturing costs of the console down, which might have demanded some hardware cutbacks

I love Sony - you pay more, get less...

Did you know an Xbox 360 is now available for about 200 quid... Chuck in a Wii and its still cheaper..

Linky.. (http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/23/europes-ps3-to-have-limited-ps2-backwards-compatibility/)

Gareth
23-02-2007, 19:33
Oh dear... you really couldn't make this stuff up and have people believe you :D

Sometimes I think Sony have a lot of MS shares they're trying to cash-in on

LostintheNW
23-02-2007, 23:16
way to go sony! loved the ps1 and ps2....the ps3...nope really is not drawing my attention in at all. So glad i went with a 360 first and didnt want for this heap of junk to come out! Sony really need their @ss's kicking for the huge mess they have made with this console...a year after the 360 and it isnt even any better!

zing_deleted
23-02-2007, 23:29
interesting figures here (http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2007/02/22/us_sales_figures_put_wii_at_top_but_ps3_improving. html)put the Wii top of the US sales list

Halcyon
24-02-2007, 11:40
Keep on digging that hole Sony.
They are really loosing it with the PS3.

Kellargh
24-02-2007, 12:42
And they say that they can't make anything better until 2010...

...is that because they're losing money on this junk? Coz we can make much better with the money they spent on the PS3!

STONEISLAND
24-02-2007, 14:23
Like I'm spending all this money to play OLD ps1/2 games?

Who cares? :rolleyes:

ethan_hunt202
24-02-2007, 17:14
My sentiments exactly....never owned a PS2 anyway...makes no bones to me

LostintheNW
24-02-2007, 18:59
I love how the fanboys can't accept this system is a failure...a lot of people who were thinking of getting a ps3 actually owned a ps1 and ps2 and still like to play those games...just coz some of you didn't own one or don't want to doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat. I have had a psx (first gen ones) and got my ps2 on day of release.....but i am avoiding this one as I can see its a waste of money

Gareth
24-02-2007, 19:32
Like I'm spending all this money to play OLD ps1/2 games?

Who cares? :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly....never owned a PS2 anyway...makes no bones to me
I know a fair few people that do care. They were/are PS2 owners who didn't want to have to keep a PS2 in their set-up for space reasons or were selling their PS2 to try and make some cash to afford the overly-expensive PS3.

They were looking forward to having the supposed 100% backward compatibility that Sony had promised. I also remember the Sony fanboys laughing at Microsoft when they announced that there wouldn't be complete backwards compatibility between the 360 and the XBox mark 1. All of a sudden, though, this compatibility issue isn't as important any more :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's another thing to add to the list of how Sony appreciates its loyal European fanbase... they make you wait 6 months longer than the rest of the world, they charge you a helluva lot more, and it's a cut-down version that you're getting anyway! :rofl:

shawty
24-02-2007, 19:43
I love how the fanboys can't accept this system is a failure...a lot of people who were thinking of getting a ps3 actually owned a ps1 and ps2 and still like to play those games...just coz some of you didn't own one or don't want to doesn't mean everyone else is in the same boat. I have had a psx (first gen ones) and got my ps2 on day of release.....but i am avoiding this one as I can see its a waste of money

I love how these supposedly none 'fanboys' are saying something is a failure in just under 4 months of a 5,6,7 or even 10 year life cycle of a console.

Stuart
24-02-2007, 19:45
I doubt that any of us know if it will fail or not, but, TBH, the current figures where the PS3 is on sale do not look good, and the fact that Sony are still altering the specs suggests major problems.

shawty
24-02-2007, 19:59
I doubt that any of us know if it will fail or not, but, TBH, the current figures where the PS3 is on sale do not look good, and the fact that Sony are still altering the specs suggests major problems.

If you read through the lines, it was supposedly what Sony wanted to do all along, way back when they realsed the specs apprantely. Also if you read through some more lines, you will find Sony has actually sold more on its launch than the Xbox 360 did on its launch.

Stuart
24-02-2007, 20:27
If you read through the lines, it was supposedly what Sony wanted to do all along, way back when they realsed the specs apprantely. Also if you read through some more lines, you will find Sony has actually sold more on its launch than the Xbox 360 did on its launch.

Although the 360's sales were held back by supply problems, and both have been beaten by the Wii..

shawty
24-02-2007, 20:53
Although the 360's sales were held back by supply problems, and both have been beaten by the Wii..

PS3 supply problems at the begining? PS3 high price? PS3 not many games? PS3 not out in Europe yet, 360 was worldwide?

At the end of the day they both had stuff holding them back. Im not a 'fanboy' i just see things how they are. Obviously the PS3 isnt were Sony wanted it to be sales wise, but still beat the 360 launch. Whatever happens after this we have to wait and see. On numerous times ive stated come back later on in the year and we will have a better idea of what is happening, but i just keep seeing cheap little digs at a not even 4 month old console like "I love how the fanboys can't accept this system is a failure" and "So glad i went with a 360 first and didnt want for this heap of junk to come out". These are 30 and 40 year old people saying these things, seriously i would have thought at that age people would be quite sensible when it came to discussion about these things. But apprantely they all act like little kids, my watch is better than your watch, my fart was louder than your fart ect ect.

STONEISLAND
25-02-2007, 10:26
---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

And they say that they can't make anything better until 2010...

...is that because they're losing money on this junk? Coz we can make much better with the money they spent on the PS3!

Keep on digging that hole Sony.
They are really loosing it with the PS3.

I know a fair few people that do care. They were/are PS2 owners who didn't want to have to keep a PS2 in their set-up for space reasons or were selling their PS2 to try and make some cash to afford the overly-expensive PS3.

They were looking forward to having the supposed 100% backward compatibility that Sony had promised. I also remember the Sony fanboys laughing at Microsoft when they announced that there wouldn't be complete backwards compatibility between the 360 and the XBox mark 1. All of a sudden, though, this compatibility issue isn't as important any more :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's another thing to add to the list of how Sony appreciates its loyal European fanbase... they make you wait 6 months longer than the rest of the world, they charge you a helluva lot more, and it's a cut-down version that you're getting anyway! :rofl:

Dont hate the PS3 because you cannot have one. :p:

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

PS3 supply problems at the begining? PS3 high price? PS3 not many games? PS3 not out in Europe yet, 360 was worldwide?

At the end of the day they both had stuff holding them back. Im not a 'fanboy' i just see things how they are. Obviously the PS3 isnt were Sony wanted it to be sales wise, but still beat the 360 launch. Whatever happens after this we have to wait and see. On numerous times ive stated come back later on in the year and we will have a better idea of what is happening, but i just keep seeing cheap little digs at a not even 4 month old console like "I love how the fanboys can't accept this system is a failure" and "So glad i went with a 360 first and didnt want for this heap of junk to come out". These are 30 and 40 year old people saying these things, seriously i would have thought at that age people would be quite sensible when it came to discussion about these things. But apprantely they all act like little kids, my watch is better than your watch, my fart was louder than your fart ect ect.

:clap: Great post.

I find it difficult to understand how anyone can criticize anything thats less than a year old.
What will be interesting is what you 360 'fanBOYS' will be saying in a year or so time. Once the developers have got there head around the far Superior chip than the 360s I reckon your eyes will be opened wide with jealousy. Which i feel this debate is all about. I reckon some are a little miffed its out of there price range.

Damien
25-02-2007, 11:32
I cannot belive this spin. You are paying more than America and Japan for your PS3 and you are actually getting a worse product. How can you possibly justify that

STONEISLAND
25-02-2007, 11:59
I cannot belive this spin. You are paying more than America and Japan for your PS3 and you are actually getting a worse product. How can you possibly justify that

But thats not unusual we pay more than them for cars, mobile and PC. Welcome to rip off Britain.

Tech_Boy
25-02-2007, 12:03
I have been offered a J reg Mercedes E190 in Mint Condition, with 12 months MOT, for Less than a PS3........

I'd rather take the Merc:D

Uncle Peter
25-02-2007, 12:05
Personally I was hoping that the PS3 did live up to the initial hype and did become a great success story but I am very disappointed in some of the issues that have been flagged up within the industry to date.

Things like the slow data transfer rate of the BD drive, the undeveloper friendly cpu architecture which has been met with a frosty response to say the least, the fact that the console is over a year late etc etc.

Did Sony make some poor, key design decisions? it would appear so. Unfortunately it seems that they are going to pay for this dearly because Microsoft are now some way along the development cycle of their next console. It's not the 90s anymore and Sony can't afford to rest on their laurels when their main competitor has pockets as deep as Mr Gates et al.

Anyway it's quite clear at this point that the software is the factor that will either make or break the PS3 so we shall just have to wait and see.

Damien
25-02-2007, 12:21
But thats not unusual we pay more than them for cars, mobile and PC. Welcome to rip off Britain.

No, But having a inferor console is different, plus the usual premium is much higher than normal with the PS3, I mean £425!!!

STONEISLAND
25-02-2007, 12:41
No, But having a inferor console is different, plus the usual premium is much higher than normal with the PS3, I mean £425!!!

Show me the link where you can get a blue ray dvd cheaper?

Show me the link where you can get a multi media system cheaper?

What do you care anyway if your not getting one? ;)

shawty
25-02-2007, 12:52

Oh come on, they have took out the Emotion Engine and replaced it with some different hardware, they have done it for reason and not actually to **** of Europeans like some people seem to think. At the end of the day, the people who want to play there PS2 games they are going to keep there PS2 or just buy a new slimline one for £50. All these people say, oh im not getting a PS3 now, come on they wernt going to get one anyway. Yes its a bit crap, yes its a bit of a pain, but i cant see it making a difference for some reason, hey it didnt stop the 360.

Damien
25-02-2007, 13:35
Well stop pretending its a normal/fine thing for Sony too do. When you refuse to see flaws then your just a fanboy. People may not want both consoles out, but the point is that American and Japanise Models work fine with it.

Sony could ship dog turd instead the a PS3 and you would still call it ice cream

shawty
25-02-2007, 14:46
Well stop pretending its a normal/fine thing for Sony too do. When you refuse to see flaws then your just a fanboy. People may not want both consoles out, but the point is that American and Japanise Models work fine with it.

Sony could ship dog turd instead the a PS3 and you would still call it ice cream

Your way of logical thinking scares me, i never once said its normal/fine. I said "Yes its a bit crap, yes its a bit of a pain" but its not going to change the fact if the PS3 fails or not. Those people stating that they were going to get a PS3 but are not now due to this are lying, not because i want to believe that but because you wouldnt let a stupid thing thats not going to affect the majority of your game playing. If playing PS2 games is that important, then you keep the PS2 regardless if you really want to or not. Its not like it was going to make much money if you sell it. They have done it for a reason and will most likely be doing it to Japan/America also. If you dont like/want a PS3 thats fine, if you want to pick up on its bad points, thats fine. What im sick of is 30/40 year old grown men acting like kids, my console is better than yours. Its shocking that people of that age are acting like that. All 3 systems are great and have advantages and disadvantages. Anyone acting like a kid needs seeing to really, its pathetic.

LostintheNW
25-02-2007, 15:11
lol love how i am being called a fanboy and also being told i cant afford a ps3? sorry but i can afford one and i am far from a fanboy of any company seeing as i have machines from nintendo, ms and sony. Get over yourselves will you. My opinion in this machines is a pile of crap and really needs removing from the shelves and starting over. The fact we are again being screwed over is out of order, and shows jus what sony actually think of their own machine if they can do this

STONEISLAND
25-02-2007, 15:24
lol love how i am being called a fanboy and also being told i cant afford a ps3? sorry but i can afford one and i am far from a fanboy of any company seeing as i have machines from nintendo, ms and sony. Get over yourselves will you. My opinion in this machines is a pile of crap and really needs removing from the shelves and starting over. The fact we are again being screwed over is out of order, and shows jus what sony actually think of their own machine if they can do this

Sorry forgot we have a console connoisseur in our mist. :erm:

LostintheNW
25-02-2007, 15:44
Sorry forgot we have a console connoisseur in our mist. :erm:
Oh get a life will you...as i stated my opinion, and just don't seem to agree with how you can call me a fanboy given i dont go for just one system. Perhaps if you looked at your little avatar on here and then reassessed the meaning of fanboy?

If you don't like what i am saying about your precious ps3 ignore it.

STONEISLAND
25-02-2007, 15:53
Oh get a life will you...as i stated my opinion, and just don't seem to agree with how you can call me a fanboy given i dont go for just one system. Perhaps if you looked at your little avatar on here and then reassessed the meaning of fanboy?

If you don't like what i am saying about your precious ps3 ignore it.

Put your hand bag down :D

Damien
25-02-2007, 16:10
Your way of logical thinking scares me, i never once said its normal/fine. I said "Yes its a bit crap, yes its a bit of a pain" but its not going to change the fact if the PS3 fails or not. Those people stating that they were going to get a PS3 but are not now due to this are lying, not because i want to believe that but because you wouldnt let a stupid thing thats not going to affect the majority of your game playing. If playing PS2 games is that important, then you keep the PS2 regardless if you really want to or not. Its not like it was going to make much money if you sell it. They have done it for a reason and will most likely be doing it to Japan/America also. If you dont like/want a PS3 thats fine, if you want to pick up on its bad points, thats fine. What im sick of is 30/40 year old grown men acting like kids, my console is better than yours. Its shocking that people of that age are acting like that. All 3 systems are great and have advantages and disadvantages. Anyone acting like a kid needs seeing to really, its pathetic.

No, Its not 'my console is better than yours' is perfectly valid critism of another console. The PS3 is not immune from it simply because its a difference machine and some people may like it. You can like it, you can but 1000 of them if you want. That doesnt mean we not allowed to point out obvious flaws.

djstevie
25-02-2007, 20:14
I bought a PS1 on launch day, queued in Virgin for hours to get one :D. Then got the PS2 a month after launch cause i couldnt get my hands on one before then. Have always enjoyed Sony products and due to peer pressure from my mates, and the fact my PS2 was ageing and PS3 was a while away at the time, i decided to get an Xbox 360. Must admit im chuffed to bits with it its fantastic. Have i made the correct decision? Who knows! I may pick up a PS3 when the price drops below the £300 mark which means i will be in for a long wait. I for one am annoyed that they have opted to omit several features from the European model as opposed to their US and Jap counterparts. In the meantime im more than happy with my 360 and believe, from at least what i've seen and read of the PS3 so far, that i've made the correct decision buying a 360.

Gareth
25-02-2007, 20:54
Nicely put, DJ Stevie :) I know a lot of people in the same boat as you, previous PS1&2 owners who bought a 360 as a stop-gap console and haven't been disappointed by it.

Like you say, they're too thinking of picking up a PS3 eventually but they've been impressed by the 360 so it's making them wonder whether they'd get anything with the PS3 that they can't already get with their 360. Apart from a handful of exclusive games, there's not that much difference between the two - and not enough to justify the difference in price, imo.

Just to reply to a comment made by skunk4u earlier on, my decision not to buy a PS3 has absolutely nothing to do with whether I can afford one or not. I could - if I wanted to buy one, but I am choosing not to as I think it's over-priced for a games console. Just for the record, I've got a very well paid job and no debts, thanks very much ;)

Someone made a good point in another thread about it being the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market, and that's true, but I'm not looking to buy a Blu-Ray player for a number of years (again, that's through choice, skunk4u, not because I can't afford one)... by which time they'll be sold for £25 in my local supermarket like DVD players are right now. It's only a cheap BR player if you're an early adopter, and for AV stuff, I'm not one of those but am instead prepared to wait.

Rhyming Obituary
25-02-2007, 21:26
Not just that, but that is if you "want" to support BR as the Hi-Def Format.I for one have no love of sony, I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of playstations and never have been.

I do have a 360, I bought it because I had an Xbox before the 360 came out, so I'll be happy to say that I'm definitely biased towards Microsoft Console products.

I won't buy a PS3 because I beleive they ARE over priced and they attempt to enforce the blu-ray standard on the public (flogging it as a cheap blu-ray player). I for one am not happy handing the format for the future of home movie viewing to a company that has such a poor track record when it comes to DRM.

I likely won't be getting a PS3 ever, more than likely because I have so little respect for sony in general. Every now and then they release an amazing piece of technology, but in my opinion, the PS3 is not one of these.
The amount of problems it appears to have experienced straight out of the box, to me at least, seem to far outweigh those of the Wii or the 360. Furthermore, the whole "cut down" of European PS3 consoles just speaks more and more of Sony's arrogance and lack of care towards its customers.In my opinion Sony felt that had "conquered" the console world with the PS2, and the fruits of that are now being seen.So you may call me a fan boy, but I would like to remind you that this is all merely my opinion, and that I am excercising my capitalist right to vote with my wallet, and in my opinion Sony = bad.

TheBlueRaja
26-02-2007, 13:54

Its supposed to be a games console not a blu-ray player.

Easy... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Console-wireless-controller/dp/B0007SV72A)

What do you care anyway if your not getting one? ;)

We are trying to save you some money by pointing you in the direction of equipment which is, literally, as good, has more games, is cheaper and will allow you to keep your soul.

NEONKNIGHT
26-02-2007, 14:03

Errrr, let me think, ah yes! of course! anywhere that sells the XBOX360!

Fact. ;)

:D

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

Its supposed to be a games console not a blu-ray player.

Easy... (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-Console-wireless-controller/dp/B0007SV72A)

We are trying to save you some money by pointing you in the direction of equipment which is, literally, as good, has more games, is cheaper and will allow you to keep your soul.

:LOL: you beat me to it. :tu:

STONEISLAND
26-02-2007, 14:24
Errrr, let me think, ah yes! of course! anywhere that sells the XBOX360!

Fact. ;)

:D

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

:LOL: you beat me to it. :tu:

I did not relise you can view web pages on the 360?

:dozey:

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Oh and record DVDs

TheBlueRaja
26-02-2007, 14:39

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Oh and record DVDs

So you want to sit there with your wee controller browsing and "typing" in web pages do you? I suppose its worth that extra 200 quid.

And the PS3 cannot record DVD either.

Incidentally, with Windows Media Centre you can stream any video's and music you download right to your Xbox and watch it there and then as its streaming via the interface provided on the 360 which controls the Windows PC.

Damien
26-02-2007, 14:58

Nah, Can do that with the Wii though! and the wiimote works well as a mouse! :tu: Plus you can get a wii AND a xbox 360 for the price of the PS3 :D

TheBlueRaja
26-02-2007, 15:22
Nah, Can do that with the Wii though! and the wiimote works well as a mouse! :tu: Plus you can get a wii AND a xbox 360 for the price of the PS3 :D

That's pretty cool, is typing web addresses still a pain in the ass though?

Also Damien, you forgot to add that it goes nicely alongside your one-button MAC :D

Damien
26-02-2007, 16:03
nah its pretty good actually, you have a on screen keyboard but the wii remote makes easy navigation (instead of having to go left 20 spaces, right 5, up 1 etc on a controller). Also predictive www. and .com/.co.uk.

But at the end of the day. Just use a normal computer. Who the hell would use a console as a web browser, tv based internet has failed many times.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:24 ----------

One annoying this is that this is meant to be about making the PS3 cheaper to make!!! But its more expensive that anywhere else! They selling it for more and giving less.

They really really just take advanatage

Stuart
26-02-2007, 16:06

Don't know. However, I am waiting to see which HD format wins before making any decision on that. Rumoured slow load times on PS3 are a bit of a bummer though.

It's a games system, not a media centre.

However, if you want a media centre, then, you have the Xbox360(£200 ish), laptops (from about £350 on Tottenham Court Road) or even low-end PCs (£200-300).

Also, various companies (Pinnacle, Yamaha etc) do WiFi based media centres that stream from PCs for around £200-£300. Some do Hi Def as well.

TBH, the only thing that I personally think is important about any games console is simply how well it plays games. That is the ONLY reason I buy consoles. I bought the Xbox because I enjoyed Halo, Project Gotham Racing and a couple of other games. I bought my Dreamcast because I liked Sonic on it. I can't remember why I bought a PS2, but I did sell it a few months later, having barely used it. I bought my 360 because I had played (and loved) PGR 3 and a couple of other games. Similarly, I have never bought a nintendo console because I have never seen an Ninty game I liked.

If I start to see PS3 games that I enjoy, I'll buy one. Might wait for the price to come down a bit though.

STONEISLAND
26-02-2007, 16:16
Don't know. However, I am waiting to see which HD format wins before making any decision on that. Rumoured slow load times on PS3 are a bit of a bummer though.

It's a games system, not a media centre.

However, if you want a media centre, then, you have the Xbox360(£200 ish), laptops (from about £350 on Tottenham Court Road) or even low-end PCs (£200-300).

Also, various companies (Pinnacle, Yamaha etc) do WiFi based media centres that stream from PCs for around £200-£300. Some do Hi Def as well.

TBH, the only thing that I personally think is important about any games console is simply how well it plays games. That is the ONLY reason I buy consoles. I bought the Xbox because I enjoyed Halo, Project Gotham Racing and a couple of other games. I bought my Dreamcast because I liked Sonic on it. I can't remember why I bought a PS2, but I did sell it a few months later, having barely used it. I bought my 360 because I had played (and loved) PGR 3 and a couple of other games. Similarly, I have never bought a nintendo console because I have never seen an Ninty game I liked.

If I start to see PS3 games that I enjoy, I'll buy one. Might wait for the price to come down a bit though.

Nice change to not have someone rip me apart :tu:

TheBlueRaja
26-02-2007, 16:48
Nice change to not have someone rip me apart :tu:

Well, what are you buying the PS3 for then? It dosent even do what you thought it did.

Damien
26-02-2007, 16:50
That's pretty cool, is typing web addresses still a pain in the ass though?

Also Damien, you forgot to add that it goes nicely alongside your one-button MAC :D

it has TWO buttons....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh *jumps out of window*

TheBlueRaja
26-02-2007, 16:54
it has TWO buttons....aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh *jumps out of window*

Hippy.

Damien
26-02-2007, 16:55
Hippy.

er...Sheep

STONEISLAND
26-02-2007, 17:42
Well, what are you buying the PS3 for then? It dosent even do what you thought it did.

Silly question? :erm:

Better graphics than the 360 ok not now come a years time it will be trust me. ;)
To brows the net on the TV just to read email and CF will be great. Oh I'm a fan of you tube so i can see that too. No problems with needing to type on those sites.
Music system. I need a stereo.
pictures.
Better control pad IMO.
look a lot nicer than 360.
Blue ray.
don't want to buy a separate HD DVD like you do with the 360. Want it all in one go.
GT
TekanDo i need to go on?

LostintheNW
26-02-2007, 18:25
Skunk what gets me is you had a go at me and others saying that we are slagging a machine off thats only a few months old, saying it will be the best system to ever grace the planet...yet how do you know this? you have a crystal ball or something? you seem to slag the 360 off a lot yet this machine hasn't reached its full potential...then again what am i talking about i am a fanboy according to you ;) enjoy wasting your money (my opinion before you get on your high horse and go around red repping ppl which frankly means jack to me) oh and tekan? think you mean tekken ;)

STONEISLAND
26-02-2007, 19:44
Skunk what gets me is you had a go at me and others saying that we are slagging a machine off thats only a few months old, saying it will be the best system to ever grace the planet...yet how do you know this? you have a crystal ball or something? you seem to slag the 360 off a lot yet this machine hasn't reached its full potential...then again what am i talking about i am a fanboy according to you ;) enjoy wasting your money (my opinion before you get on your high horse and go around red repping ppl which frankly means jack to me) oh and tekan? think you mean tekken ;)

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

LostintheNW
26-02-2007, 19:58
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Yes and that makes loads of sense, again if you are trying to infer that i am following the flock you are sadly mistaken, i am far from an MS fanboy...care to ask the mods to confirm just exactly what operating system i actually use on this site? then you will see the only MS products in my house are my xbox and xbox 360 - along with ohh whats that a PS1 and a PS2 :shocked: and even more shocking I own Nintendo and Sega machines

You can't seem to take anyone elses opinion on this matter, you think everyone has to want to like the PS3, yet in reality this is not the case. Your money you do what you want with it, whereas its my money and I will do what I want with it - but I know I wont be lining Sony's pockets with it on a PS3

Tezcatlipoca
28-02-2007, 00:13
Better graphics than the 360 ok not now come a years time it will be trust me. ;)

ROFL.

They're both pretty equally powerful, however the 360 is apparently much easier to programme for.

Also, consider the head-start the 360 has. It's already getting "2nd generation" games with stunning graphics, like Gears of War, while the PS3 is only just starting out. Yes, once the developers start getting to grips more with the Cell (if they have the money & if Sony give them enough support....making a PS3 exclusive game is v v expensive), then we'll start to get "2nd gen" PS3 games that look a lot better than the PS3 launch games (just like the PS2 took ages to get into its stride & get some decent games), however, by then, the developers will have had even more time to learn all the ins & outs of the 360......plus it's cheaper & easier to make a game for the 360, & then port to the PS3.

To brows the net on the TV just to read email and CF will be great. Oh I'm a fan of you tube so i can see that too. No problems with needing to type on those sites.

Why buy a console for that? Don't you have a PC?

Ever hooked a PC to a TV? Websites & other PC-orientated things tend to look crap on TVs.

Music system. I need a stereo.

Bit of an expensive stereo.......just get a cheap CD player from Tesco. Hell, get a cheap DVD player, then it'll play CDs, DVDs, MP3s, divx/xvid, photo CDs, jpegs..........

pictures.

Bit pricey for that. Most digicams can plug into a TV anyway for viewing pics, or you could get a cheap DVD player as above.

Better control pad IMO.

Well, at least it looks better than the original design they were floating before.

Still a bit lame to lose the rumble, & then "borrow" the whole motion thing as a tacked on afterthought though.

look a lot nicer than 360.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the 360 looks quite nice. Much better than the ugly old Xbox. Goes well with my white Sky box too. Oh, & it weighs less, plus doesn't look like a George Foreman grill lol.

Blue ray.
don't want to buy a separate HD DVD like you do with the 360. Want it all in one go.

Built-in obsolescence? ;)

Add-on = not stuck with one format. If Blu-ray ends up winning, MS will just release a BD player for the 360. If HD-DVD wins, Sony are screwed.

Betamax....Mini Disc....UMD.........

GT

Always found that boring. Although if I want to play a driving game there's PGR3, for a start.

Tekan

I'll give you that one. The Playstations have tended to have better fighting games (although my all-time favourites are still Soul Calibur & PowerStone on the good old Dreamcast). While I do enjoy the DOA series, I'd love to have Tekken or Soul Calibur on the 360 (at least SC2 came out on the old Xbox). Not something I'd specifically buy a console for though. Plus there are rumours that Tekken will be coming to the 360 anyway (along with MGS, hmm).
[/QUOTE]

Stuart
28-02-2007, 00:31

You know this? How? AFAIK, xbox 360 games are nowhere near exploiting the full potential of the console. Look at Halo 3. Near cinema quality graphics, and far better than the 1st generation games (not that they were bad).

Also, the 360 has the advantage of XNA. XNA, in case you didn't know, is a standardised programming and design system for games. The upshot of the system is that the same code, with a few changes, can be used on Windows Vista or the Xbox.

XNA also has the advantage that ANYONE can develop with it (although they cannot publish commercial without Microsoft's help). But, it also means that an awful lot of people will be developing for it, and that increases the chances of someone getting the best out of the machine.

zrerz
02-03-2007, 13:50
interesting thread this.

I've had my xbox 360 from day one of it's release (now on machine 6 due to constant freezing/lockups), but have to say that I do like it, the system is user friendly, and it's online service (so far) is second to none.

I am however getting the PS3 on the 23rd march, as being a mad gamer in every sense of the word, I want to see what I can do on this very diferent machine.

Skunk4u is proberbly correct in his assumtion that in a years time (maybe more) then yes, the PS3 will have better graphics, the proof of course will be in seeing it working, in the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my xbox 360, and see how the systems evolve side by side.

There was a rumour going around the net a few weeks ago about a possible Xbox 360 version 2, but can't locate it now, but again, even if they did bring it out, so what? I for one accept that technology moves on, and no matter what I buy, by the time I bring it home, it's out of date, so whatever system(s) you have, enjoy!

zrerz
02-03-2007, 16:55
Just found the link I was searching for, regarding the version 2 of Xbox 360 (if indeed it's true?):

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEylpyZkVpwzemjZKk.php

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2007, 19:33
interesting thread this.

I've had my xbox 360 from day one of it's release (now on machine 6 due to constant freezing/lockups), but have to say that I do like it, the system is user friendly, and it's online service (so far) is second to none.

6?!?!

From what I've read, it sounds like a lot of the "multiple replacement console" problems are due to people being given dodgy refurbs as replacements, which then often last for less time than your 1st console.

I am however getting the PS3 on the 23rd march, as being a mad gamer in every sense of the word, I want to see what I can do on this very diferent machine.

I may end up getting one, won't be 'till the price drops though. It'd also need a lot more exclusive titles to convince me it's worth getting, too.

Skunk4u is proberbly correct in his assumtion that in a years time (maybe more) then yes, the PS3 will have better graphics, the proof of course will be in seeing it working, in the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my xbox 360, and see how the systems evolve side by side.

But in a year's time, 360 games will probably look even better than they do now... so still be equal or better looking than PS3 games.

There was a rumour going around the net a few weeks ago about a possible Xbox 360 version 2, but can't locate it now, but again, even if they did bring it out, so what? I for one accept that technology moves on, and no matter what I buy, by the time I bring it home, it's out of date, so whatever system(s) you have, enjoy!

We had a thread about that a while ago http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33605849