PDA

View Full Version : Speed Test

itsj
23-02-2007, 16:45
Signed up for the TW 2Mb sevice last July. Regular tests over first few months came out consistently just above 2Mb. However, for the past month I am getting no more than 1.70 mbps. Is this something I should just accept as normal service or are there any steps I can take to get back to nearer 2mb?

Grateful for any views/advice please.

Nikesh
23-02-2007, 17:12
1.7Mbps isn't really that bad... some people get a lot less than that...

Numenor
23-02-2007, 21:56
Well, I as learned only a day ago on this very forum....

I had 10mb broadband, but never got more than 6mb connection. I thought it was just my connection or maybe a fault with my service, turns out that it was because I was usaing the USB connection from my modem instead of Ethernet.

Which do you use?

tbh, at 2mb both should give full bandwith.

Carl J
23-02-2007, 22:16
Signed up for the TW 2Mb sevice last July. Regular tests over first few months came out consistently just above 2Mb. However, for the past month I am getting no more than 1.70 mbps. Is this something I should just accept as normal service or are there any steps I can take to get back to nearer 2mb?

Grateful for any views/advice please.

How's the latency / pings?

Changed anything about home network recently?

Tried using something like Netmeter and downloading two things at once to see if added together they can provide full speed?

itsj
24-02-2007, 10:14
Thanks for the replies - I am connected via ethernet. Thanks to this forum have now discovered Dan Elwell's speed test which I understand is the VM recommended one. It is very thorough, connecting to sample servers all over the world, and is showing my download speed consistently just above 2000kbps. I will use this test in future rather than the Tiscali one I was using before.
The only downside is that the free version of the Dan Elwell test doesn't have the upload test activated. (When I find a test for this, I understand I should be looking for up to 256kbps on the 2Mb package).

dcclanuk
24-02-2007, 10:25
Thanks for the replies - I am connected via ethernet. Thanks to this forum have now discovered Dan Elwell's speed test which I understand is the VM recommended one. It is very thorough, connecting to sample servers all over the world, and is showing my download speed consistently just above 2000kbps. I will use this test in future rather than the Tiscali one I was using before.
The only downside is that the free version of the Dan Elwell test doesn't have the upload test activated. (When I find a test for this, I understand I should be looking for up to 256kbps on the 2Mb package).

its 200kbps?