PDA

View Full Version : Just need a bit of advice please

telecom69
23-02-2007, 06:25
Today on booting up my computer it took a bit longer than usual,and eventually it told me that it had recovered from a serious error caused supposedly by my Scientific Atlanta Modem XP100,and if I went to their website there should be a fix available....(this was from Microsoft) I went to the website but couldnt find anything about a fix...the computer seems to be working ok,so what caused this problem Im wondering ? is it perhaps that the drivers need updating ? if so how would I know this? wondering if anyone can shed any light on this ....

melevittfl
23-02-2007, 06:34
Today on booting up my computer it took a bit longer than usual,and eventually it told me that it had recovered from a serious error caused supposedly by my Scientific Atlanta Modem XP100,and if I went to their website there should be a fix available......

Unless it keeps happening, or something with your network connection isn't working, I'd ignore it.

You have a USB connection to the modem right? What's happened is that, when you were shutting it down, the Windows device driver for the modem crashed.

Windows saves some information on this crash (which is why it took longer) and then tells you about, but not in the most helpful way. It's just a generic message, they don't really know if there is a fix available.

telecom69
24-02-2007, 09:33
Unless it keeps happening, or something with your network connection isn't working, I'd ignore it.

You have a USB connection to the modem right? What's happened is that, when you were shutting it down, the Windows device driver for the modem crashed.

Windows saves some information on this crash (which is why it took longer) and then tells you about, but not in the most helpful way. It's just a generic message, they don't really know if there is a fix available.
Many thanks for your help :tu: funny thing is I didnt have a connection on first boot up this morning :D but after resetting the modem all was ok again,so I will see how things go from now on,and will post back if I get any more problems :)