PDA

View Full Version : New house

cclewer
22-02-2007, 09:01
I am moving to a new build house shortly and want to have cable tv/phone/broadband. I am in a cabled area. The builder has installed TV coax and phone cabling to each room terminating in the regular output sockets. The other ends of the cables are all left bundled in the loft space. I really don't want to have surface mounted cables and boxes run to the rooms (apart from possibly one) so is it possible there is some solution that would allow me to use the cabling already there, possibly with a wireless system?

videodj
22-02-2007, 09:15
Virgin will want to run their own cable. Usually coax installed by builders is of low quality and not compatiable with BB and digital TV.

The phone will be a separate wire to a new master socket.

Paul K
22-02-2007, 10:02
Erm unless the cable has been run to your street already you may have a wait. Does anyone else in the street already have cable?

RS100
22-02-2007, 15:00
What paul is saying is right,

Also i would say that the coax they installed are cheap low qulity stuff same goes for the telephone cables for TV & BB virgin will install RG6 A.K.A WF100 which is pure copper core and copper braid then in each room they will need to install a isolator block with white cover the cables will then need to go to a omni drop box which they would need to install on the wall outside your house then from the drop box the cables will go to the street cab,

Crooky
22-02-2007, 16:10
I have seen a pre-wired house set up for cable when I was installing Sky.

The main feed (RG6 Siamese) was put into the cupboard under the stairs and a mini tap plate installed to feed the rooms in the house. The SACM was also fitted in here, feeding a patch panel for BB throughout the house.
I did not see any isolators on the walls, they may have been fitted into the wall plates.
I was led to believe that this was an NTL tie in with the builder and local council with caveats, as the dish had to be hidden from view.
It may be possible to contact your local installation depot (or a contractor)and try and arrange to have the cabling installed to your own spec, however I would ensure that if you follow this path you ensure that it can be warranteed by VM, or any repairs for damaged cables will be chargeable and may require them to be changed.

RS100
22-02-2007, 19:05
The isolator will look like this one and the cover will to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NTL-DIGITAL-QAMTEX-TV-DATA-ISOLATOR-AND-COVER-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ220084169770QQihZ012QQcategoryZ96970Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The way to see if the cable is ok is cut it back and make sure it is pure copper core and pure copper braid