PDA

View Full Version : Dial up internet from a laptop

DrXerox
21-02-2007, 18:39
My son has started a new business and needs internet access from his laptop where ever he may be.
This needs to be fairly simple and above all cheap! He only needs to send and receive emails and use messenger to send and receive small files (10k - 20k).

He has looked at 3G or equivalent but they all seem to cost around £35 to £45 per month. This seems excessive for his needs and he doesn't want to sign a long contract in case the business doesn't work out.

Would it be possible to have a dial up contract with Virgin (he already has ntl broadband) paying 3p per minute using a gsm pc card in his laptop? My suspicions are that it wouldn't work because he wouldn't be dialing from a fixed land line, therefore how would he pay the per connection cost.

Anyone know if this would work or is there a better alternative?

Art-goody
21-02-2007, 19:20
hi
if is laptop is wifi he can go on line at most macdonalds restaraunts for free or he can go to Witherspoons and for the price of a drink you getb 20 minutes free on there wireless network.
Cheers

Art

bopdude
21-02-2007, 20:15
hi
if is laptop is wifi he can go on line at most macdonalds restaraunts for free or he can go to Witherspoons and for the price of a drink you getb 20 minutes free on there wireless network.
Cheers

Art

Usefull info :tu:

DrXerox
21-02-2007, 21:13
hi
Cheers

Art

Funny you should say that but we were at a Mcdonalds at the weekend. Managed to get on their network but couldn't do anything with it.

simbr
22-02-2007, 08:34
You can currently still register for a standard Virgin Media PAYG account (ex-virgin.net, the ex-ntlworld PAYG services require an ntl line) at http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/noncable.html - scroll down to the bottom.

Or, you could do what I do when I need internet access on the move, and just dial up to http://emergencyinternet.com/ though my mobile.

King Of Fools
22-02-2007, 11:11
Depending on how much data is being transferred it may work out cheaper to use GPRS and pay per megabyte. What mobile does your son currently have, PAYG, contract?

Plus GPRS will be faster than dial-up over GSM.

DrXerox
22-02-2007, 17:56
Depending on how much data is being transferred it may work out cheaper to use GPRS and pay per megabyte. What mobile does your son currently have, PAYG, contract?

Plus GPRS will be faster than dial-up over GSM.

He needs to send a file back on forth (up to 20k) a couple of times a day.

He has a Razor V3 which is on a monthly contract.

We are currently looking at using his mobile as a modem but still need to sort out a payg internet account.

King Of Fools
22-02-2007, 18:20
He needs to send a file back on forth (up to 20k) a couple of times a day.

He has a Razor V3 which is on a monthly contract.

We are currently looking at using his mobile as a modem but still need to sort out a payg internet account.
Which network does he use?

DrXerox
24-02-2007, 17:57
Which network does he use?

He is on the 3 network.