PDA

View Full Version : 10mb Broadband Problems, looking for help

Numenor
21-02-2007, 19:07
Hello. After reading a lot of threads on VM internet ive seen a few people with the same problem I have. Basically im not getting the advertised speed of my 10mb broadband, more like about 5.5mb! The highest my download goes is 620 kb/s ( This is on private torrent tracker with 100Mbit seeders)

Its been the same ever since the 10mb came out. Ive called tech service a few times, but nothing is ever done about it, and im really just looking for a reason why im not getting the full bandwith.

Im an old Telewest customer, living just east of Glasgow ( I run off the Uddingston 'exchange'(right word??) I do believe). I have a Cable modem the Motorola Surfboard 5100.

Ive had cable for over 10 years and our service has always been jumpy (stb freezes quite a bit). My room is situated at the back of the house, so the engineer had to use a lot of cable to get from where our cable comes into our house to where my computer is. Could this affect it?

I connect my modem to the comp with a USB cable, ive tried using an ethernet cable but I can't get it working, it doesnt find a signal! Would it be better to use an ethernet cable? If so, how to I get it to work? ( I have an Ausu mobo, with a Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit controller)

Any help you could provide would great. heres a speed test pic I just took.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1666/untitledhc4.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledhc4.jpg)

Thanks
Kevin

Paul K
21-02-2007, 19:20
Did you power everything (inc cable modem) off when switching to ethernet?

AndyIggs83
21-02-2007, 19:22
The reason your not getting full speed is because your connecting through USB as well, ethernet is so much better

AbyssUnderground
21-02-2007, 19:23
Power off everything, then power on the modem, wait 60 seconds, then power on your pc. 10Mbps is best on ethernet not on USB. This could be the problem.

Numenor
21-02-2007, 19:43
Thankyou for the reply everyone. Guess what, it worked.

Idiot boy here was not powering everything off before connecting the ethernet, this is why it was not detecting a signal.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!:tu: :tu:

Kev

Paul K
21-02-2007, 20:13
Always a good thing to do when switching any hardware connection like that lol ;)