PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Bband from STB to Cable Modem

monkeyonamoped
19-02-2007, 09:58
Hello all, new poster here. I've been lurking for a while & I've just decided to take the plunge & upgrade to the VIP package. As part of this I've had to get a cable modem installed, as I was receiving bband through my STB.

I've received the quickstart pack & wired everything up (I'm going through a wireless router currently). I then called bband support to get everything up & running, but couldn't get an IP address either through the router, or directly via ethernet. After a couple of hours of phone calls I gave up & reattached the ethernet cable to the STB, & it still worked OK.

Should it still be working if I'm supposed to receive bband through the cable modem now, or is it possible that it needs to be 'switched' at Virgin & hasn't been? When I called the number on the quickstart manual they gave me the support number straight away & I'm wondering if a change needed making by the quickstart team before I spoke to support. Sorry for the length of the post, but I want to be forearmed before I call back & I thought the devil might be in the detail.

NTLVictim
19-02-2007, 12:46
When that happened to me I called customer services ( I ain't paying a pound a minute for something that ain't my fault),and spoke to someone called Steve in the UK. He asked me for the mac address on the side of the SACM and one minute later it was sorted!

monkeyonamoped
19-02-2007, 13:08
Thanks for the reply. Do you know which number you called? I have a feeling if I can get just get hold of someone who's prepared to go 'off-script' for five minutes I'll be able to get it sorted.

When I called at the weekend, I went through the whole turn it off, turn it on again rigmarole four times with four separate people & I don't mind saying I got quite frustrated with the whole thing.

Can anyone tell me what's supposed to happen when I call the quickstart number - do they send a signal disabling the STB connection & starting the cable modem one?

NTLVictim
19-02-2007, 13:21
I never got a quickstart pack....gits.:mad:

I phoned customer service on an 0800 number I found on saynotoo870.com.

Just tell them you're ready to leave because tech support can't help you and the calls are costing you money.

spankysmagicpian
19-02-2007, 23:45
I got the self install pack last Thursday - tried it and decided I'd set it up at the weekend. I found to my cost that the Autoreg is turned off on a Sunday evening or I preusme it was as I managed ot all fine on Monday evening,