PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Surround sound

STONEISLAND
18-02-2007, 22:22
Hello,

Can someone post me a link of what I need to produce Surround sound from the PS3 with my AMP?

TIA

simpsonsFAN
18-02-2007, 22:43
If your AMP has a optical input you will be able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the PS3, if your amp doesnt have a optical input you will need to buy a decoder (creative do one for £80).

However, to get Dolby True HD audio or DTS HD audio you will need to buy a whole new amp that has a HDMI 1.3 input (dont think there are any yet), which will produce 7.1 sound - so you may want to invest in some more speakers aswell.

Btw, your custom user title (and avatar) have the stench of sony fanboyism - what have you got against the 360 ? (Take a look at this: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/01/25/psp-connect-using-pgr3-screenshot.aspx :D ).

-Chris

STONEISLAND
19-02-2007, 10:43
If your AMP has a optical input you will be able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 from the PS3, if your amp doesnt have a optical input you will need to buy a decoder (creative do one for £80).

However, to get Dolby True HD audio or DTS HD audio you will need to buy a whole new amp that has a HDMI 1.3 input (don't think there are any yet), which will produce 7.1 sound - so you may want to invest in some more speakers aswell.

Btw, your custom user title (and avatar) have the stench of sony fanboyism - what have you got against the 360 ? (Take a look at this: http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/01/25/psp-connect-using-pgr3-screenshot.aspx :D ).

-Chris

Thanks for the post :tu: I do have a amp with optical input. So what lead do I need? I don't think the amp is HDMI 1.3 but surly you can get an adapter?

Oh and I don't need to read that link. Just give the PS3 a chance its not even born yet. Give it a couple of year and it will make the 360 look like the 128k.

Gareth
19-02-2007, 13:05
Btw, your reply has the stench of sony fanboyism - what have you got against the 360 ?

Uncle Peter
19-02-2007, 13:50
Given a couple of years Microsoft will be close to a generation ahead of Sony in terms of releasing a new console :)

wwe
19-02-2007, 13:56
on the ps3 does it save games on to a hard drive

STONEISLAND
19-02-2007, 14:55
on the ps3 does it save games on to a hard drive

Yes

All I want is my question answered, and not to be a PS3 spoke person :dozey:

Get a grip 360s. :erm:

gooner4life
19-02-2007, 16:28
For such a fanboy i'd at least expect you to get your information correct.

The Playstation 3 does not save games to the hard disk, it caches games on the harddisk because of the slow read speed of blueray drives, some games like Oblivion are written to the disc twice in different locations across the layers to optimise the load times but they are still very slow, apparantly ridge racer has the option to cache to harddisk as well but this takes around 90 minutes to do and then takes up a fair whack of the hdd space without actually saving that much on loading times, you also still need the disc in the tray to play.

I think Sony dropped a nut by putting a blueray drive in the PS3, seek times are just too slow compared with normal DVD drives, look at the PSP some of the load times are ridiculous and it's twice as bad with the PS3.

STONEISLAND
19-02-2007, 16:39

The Playstation 3 does not save games to the hard disk, it caches games on the harddisk because of the slow read speed of blueray drives, some games like Oblivion are written to the disc twice in different locations across the layers to optimise the load times but they are still very slow, apparantly ridge racer has the option to cache to harddisk as well but this takes around 90 minutes to do and then takes up a fair whack of the hdd space without actually saving that much on loading times, you also still need the disc in the tray to play.

I think Sony dropped a nut by putting a blueray drive in the PS3, seek times are just too slow compared with normal DVD drives, look at the PSP some of the load times are ridiculous and it's twice as bad with the PS3.

:dunce:

Has that answered the question to my post? I don't think so.

fanboy? I think your the only boy around here.

All I want is an answer to what I thought was a simple question and all I'm getting is grief? :confused:

Don't worry I will post it in a PS3 forum. :mad:

shawty
19-02-2007, 17:17

Faster than the Xbox360 though?

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

gooner4life
19-02-2007, 17:20
:dunce:

Has that answered the question to my post? I don't think so.

fanboy? I think your the only boy around here.

All I want is an answer to what I thought was a simple question and all I'm getting is grief? :confused:

Don't worry I will post it in a PS3 forum. :mad:

Your question was answered in the first reply to you and you replied to it, who's the dunce? i think you've smoked a bit too much skunk in all fairness.

shawty
19-02-2007, 17:32
Your question was answered in the first reply to you and you replied to it, who's the dunce? i think you've smoked a bit too much skunk in all fairness.

Im sorry to say, but i would say you were the dunce, he asked another question in that post.

STONEISLAND
19-02-2007, 17:36

Take your carap comments eles where little boy.

Bulky
19-02-2007, 19:01
Faster than the Xbox360 though?

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

what you don't understand is that 360 owners have been playing this game since March 2006 , it is progression that a game coming out on a console a year later will have some improvements , so what , the draw distance is bigger , if it was being written for the 360 now it would be exactly the same but its an old game for 360 owners , get over it :) , the original x-box games had improvements on their ports from ps2 , made no difference to sales.

sorry for hi jacking thread , back on topic :)

Stuart
19-02-2007, 21:35
Guys, can we just stick to the original question? Not start attacking each other over something that is frankly irrelevant to the question?

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Thanks for the post :tu: I do have a amp with optical input. So what lead do I need? I don't think the amp is HDMI 1.3 but surly you can get an adapter?

Probably something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

shawty
19-02-2007, 22:44
what you don't understand is that 360 owners have been playing this game since March 2006 , it is progression that a game coming out on a console a year later will have some improvements , so what , the draw distance is bigger , if it was being written for the 360 now it would be exactly the same but its an old game for 360 owners , get over it :) , the original x-box games had improvements on their ports from ps2 , made no difference to sales.

sorry for hi jacking thread , back on topic :)

No what YOU dont understand is that i never pointed any of that out. What YOU failed to understand is, i was correcting someone about the slow load times. What YOU fail to understand is for the millions of PS3 owners come March, it will be the first time they can play the game as they dont have it for the PC and Xbox360. YOU need to read posts before accusing people of something that wasnt there.

simpsonsFAN
20-02-2007, 01:13
Thanks for the post :tu: I do have a amp with optical input. So what lead do I need?An optical cable, to go from PS3 to amp, and you will be fine.I don't think the amp is HDMI 1.3 but surly you can get an adapter?It doesnt matter. You can still enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 using optical (same as 360:rolleyes:).Oh and I don't need to read that link. Just give the PS3 a chance its not even born yet. Give it a couple of year and it will make the 360 look like the 128k.The 360 having a completely superior GPU and (almost) equal processing power to the PS3 would make me think otherwise.No what YOU dont understand is that i never pointed any of that out. What YOU failed to understand is, i was correcting someone about the slow load times. What YOU fail to understand is for the millions of PS3 owners come March, it will be the first time they can play the game as they dont have it for the PC and Xbox360. YOU need to read posts before accusing people of something that wasnt there.You linked to an article that is mainly about improvements to graphics and draw distance on the PS3 port of the game. The article just so happens to mention (in one measily pathetic sentance) that it is "faster on PS3". And your getting angry about him missing your point ?

:erm:

-Chris

Stuart
20-02-2007, 01:16
Guys. I remind you of my previous post.

Guys, can we just stick to the original question? Not start attacking each other over something that is frankly irrelevant to the question?

So. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of various consoles, start a thread. Do not use this one.

STONEISLAND
20-02-2007, 07:17
Thanks stewart,

Not sure why everyone is slaging the ps3 off? Its just a games console, what the big deal?

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 12:12
Just found this (http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/GENBRW/3-/3321387/Joytech_Fusion_Digital_Optical_Cable/Product.html)would that go into my AMP? Coax socket?

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 17:29
Just found this (http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/GENBRW/3-/3321387/Joytech_Fusion_Digital_Optical_Cable/Product.html)would that go into my AMP? Coax socket?

Anyone :confused:

Stuart
02-03-2007, 17:31
No, you need something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&doy=2m3&C=SEO&U=strat15 to convert from optical to electrical (coax).

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 17:49
No, you need something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29293&doy=2m3&C=SEO&U=strat15 to convert from optical to electrical (coax).

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure my amp cannot take optical. Is it right to think theres a red light where the cable would go? Would you go with the option of having the converter?

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2007, 19:22
I thought you said before that your amp did have an optical connection?

If it definitely doesn't, then get a converter like in Stuart's link - it'll be fine.

Here's what the two different sockets look like...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/03/38.jpg

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 19:38
Its a 3 year old amp, I'm sure it doesn't have one. Thanks for the pic I will check again.

I reckon its a converter that I need.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Will the quality be poorer?

This is my AMP (http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/saxr15/rearlrg.jpg)

I cannot see the LED on it like your pic?

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2007, 19:40
3 years old is nothing.

I got my Yamaha DSP-A5 amp back in 2000, & it's got multiple optical & coaxial digital inputs.

What make/model is your amp?

Converting one type of digital signal into another....I doubt there'd be any significant loss of quality, if at all.

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 19:42

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2007, 19:44

I cannot see the LED on it like your pic?

You have two optical inputs :)

To the left of the fan vent, there's a section of inputs labelled "DIGITAL IN".

At the top, is a single COAXIAL input, & below it are two optical inputs, labelled "OPT 1 (TV) IN" & "OPT 2 (DVD) IN". Each has a small plastic plug in it to stop any dust etc. getting in there when the inputs have nothing connected.

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 19:46
You have two optical inputs :)

To the left of the fan vent, there's a section of inputs labelled "DIGITAL IN".

At the top, is a single COAXIAL input, & below it are two optical inputs, labelled "OPT 1 (TV) IN" & "OPT 2 (DVD) IN". Each has a small plastic plug in it to stop any dust etc. getting in there when the inputs have nothing connected.

:) You are a star!!!!! Thanks mate. :D

So that will give me Surround sound?

Tezcatlipoca
02-03-2007, 19:57
:) You are a star!!!!! Thanks mate. :D

So that will give me Surround sound?

No prob :)

Yep, if you hook up the PS3 to your amp using an optical (TOSLINK) digital audio cable, you'll get full surround sound (Dolby Digital 5.1 or whatever your amp supports).

STONEISLAND
02-03-2007, 20:15
No prob :)

Yep, if you hook up the PS3 to your amp using an optical (TOSLINK) digital audio cable, you'll get full surround sound (Dolby Digital 5.1 or whatever your amp supports).

Will it give me DTS as well?

Dont know what I would do with out this site. Fantastic!!! :D

Tezcatlipoca
03-03-2007, 02:32
Will it give me DTS as well?

Dont know what I would do with out this site. Fantastic!!! :D

Yep, it supports DTS too, AFAIK.

The PS3 also supports the new lossless Dolby & DTS formats (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio) - although these require a compatible amp, with an HDMI connection.