PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Grundig GUVCG2800B digital TV 28" widescreen tv from Tesco 2 days ago. Got

rsgill
18-02-2007, 12:54
I bought a Grundig GUVCG2800B digital TV 28" widescreen tv from Tesco 2 days ago. Got back home, set it up. It took numerous scans and half an hour later before digital was picked up but nonetheless it was there and ALL channels were recieved albeit around 40% or below on some channels (as long as my signal booster was on)

However, after attaching external peripherals such as dvd recorder and my BUSH ID DV3 freeview set top box (as I bought this tv so I could record one freeview channel while watching another) via the tv scart sockets at the back, I rescanned the tv for channels in some had been missed from the day before or that peripherals affected things.

This was a massive mistake as now the TV will not pick up ANY digital channels at all! (all analogue channels are still present though) Not even when no peripherals are attached to the tv but the aerial with its booster! I know some digital tv's can be quite unsensitive and require a strong transmitter signal but this is rediculous.

I find this very strange considering my BUSH set top box can STILL now pick up all channels perfectly from the same aerial with booster! And I can't see how one day would make a difference in transmitter signal, I live 20 miles or so from the Sudbury transmitter and there are no current problems there, and I'm sure there are very few interferences in our block of flats and our roof aerial is pointing in the right direction because my BUSH set top box still works.

Surely my freeview tuner can't malfunction in 2 days of use!? It's not as if I have been heavy handed with the tv either so I can't see how it could have been damaged so early on.

Please, please, please can somebody help as this is driving me crazy!? :confused:

Quam256
18-02-2007, 13:47
Check your connections first ,especialy the one from the aeriel as even a bad connection or some braid on the core can make a big difference.
I may be wrong but ,you have connected a aeriel to a freeview box and then run a rf lead to a Digital TV and you want to pick up freeview on both.

Cobbydaler
18-02-2007, 14:00
You need a co-ax ariel connection to the television as well as your freeview box...

Quam256
18-02-2007, 14:02
You need a co-ax ariel connection to the television as well as your freeview box...
I agree ,need a 2 way splitter.

Creative
18-02-2007, 14:10
I agree ,need a 2 way splitter.
No, loop the RF out from the STB to the TV. A splitter drops the signals level to each. The box should have an RF out as well as an in.

rsgill
18-02-2007, 14:40
No, loop the RF out from the STB to the TV. A splitter drops the signals level to each. The box should have an RF out as well as an in.

I agree, splitting could reduce the signal. I have already looped from STB RF back to TV.

Unfortunately this still doesn't explain why I STILL cannot scan in digital channels with just a coax running from the F-connector wall socket to the TV via my aerial booster.

Just running the coax from the wall, via booster, to the STB is sufficient for ALL digital channels to be viewed on the TV using the set top box so I can't see how this can be any different!?

I have noticed that Mux 2 is non-existent (ITV1,2,3,4) when the booster is off when using the STB though. I wonder if the digital tv will not scan in ANY signals at all until the weakend Mux 2 signal is stronger??

I also bought a brand new single screened RF coax lead yesterday and this has made no difference.

Considering I could get digital from the tv tuner 2 days ago (using Aerial to booster to STB to TV) its a bit of a mystery to say the least!!

rsgill
19-02-2007, 17:36
Looks like I will be calling Tesco electrical repair to see what they say on the subject.

Why are so many Digital tv tuners not as sensitive as set top boxes?? There are 3 other people at work with the same problem on different makes of digital tv's (digital tv tuner tunes in to digital channels some days if you're lucky but set top box is fine)??? :confused: :confused: