PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding an overheating modem.

BloodyL
18-02-2007, 01:34
All is great regarding 10mb service levels and all that, my post is in relation to the modem itself.
If I start a heavy download off and it begins at full whack, occasionally I'll see the download graph slowly arc off to around 5mb speeds (sometimes even worse), however if I pick up the ntl:120 modem and blow through the vents a few times the download rates will smoothly arc back up to full speed and away I go for a little while longer until it overheats again.

My question is, how can I get this fixed? I can't go to front line tech as they'll just do the simple checks on the system and see that the modem is working?

So, how can I get the modem replaced without having to tear my hair out with the well meaning and amiable front line staff?

(I guess a little explanation as to how I figured this one out would be good, I used to have a router sat on top of the modem and whenever network traffic would be high the broadband would die, at first I thought it was the router, then one day I lifted the router off the modem to reset it and nearly burned my fingers in the process.
I have since seperated both components and placed them on cold surfaces but it still continues, so a continuaton of logic prevailed, a few good huffs of air through the underside vents of the modem soon returns the connection to its former 10mb glory.)

RUSTY
18-02-2007, 10:43
as suggested before, try making a tempory heat sink, ally tray from the kitchen placed on two pencils for air gap, also place modem on two pencils again for air gap. if this works ok design your own.if you still struggle PM me.

bonzoe
18-02-2007, 11:32
Ring up faults, don't mention that it's overheating, just tell them that it appears to keep stopping and starting, ask them to interrogate the modem logs. Hopefully they will see a problem and get the modem replaced for you.

I don't think that making your own heatsink is a realistic or desirable option. Just don't see how pencils (made of wood) are going to conduct the heat away to a metal tray.

RUSTY
18-02-2007, 14:10
bonzoe. the ally is the heat sink, the pencils insulate and give air space to the ally and the modem. with many years in R&D/engineering I can assure you it`s a good design to `try` out.little difference to how some main boards conduct heat away form north/southbridge areas only with copper pipe.my modem & external hard drive are kept cool this way.as I say again it was only for a trail.

BloodyL
19-02-2007, 07:32
Thanks for your suggestions, while the heatsink idea has an air of uniqueness it's not really the solution I was looking for, still, thanks anyway! ;-)

Bonzoe: I could ring faults but the problem is that the connection doesn't stop, it merely slows down to a fraction of its normal speed, I have a sneaky suspicion that i'd be pointed towards heavy traffic or something along those lines.

Great suggestions though, cheers! :)

bonzoe
19-02-2007, 08:51
You never know what they may see is going on if you get them to interrogate the modem. They checked mine when I was having problems and replaced the modem. It doesn't cost anything to ring 151 and I suspect the problem won't go away until something is done.

Nevermind1994
19-02-2007, 12:26
cover all the holes in the modem until it blows the thing, then ring up and tell them its stopped completly.

JonathanLH
19-02-2007, 20:12
someone had to suggest it, not exactly the best work around, but hopefully silent :)

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/4251800A63UC142106M.jpg

NTLVictim
19-02-2007, 20:46
That's a big CPU fan...

Davesonishville
05-10-2008, 16:28
I have the same problem, I'm pretty sure it's overheating that causes it to stop (yes, mine loses connection completely) as when i wrap a frozen cooler block around a tea towell, and leave it on top of the modem, it works from up to about 2 hours without problems. Without the colling block, it has a life span of a bout 30 - 40 minutes. The lights ENET an PWR are obviously on, however, RDY and SYNC will flicker or turn off completely when there's a problem. I could ring 151 and ask them to send a new one i suppose, but the landline is also buggered, as i cant dial out, all i get is a constant dial tone even after pressing the numbers.

BAWWWW
halp plz?

Ooh, also, I have a wireless router connected to the modem, you don't think that if i ran the modem straight through to the PC it would stop overheating by any chance? To do it I think i'll need to download the USB drivers again but whatever.

whydoIneedatech
05-10-2008, 16:56
Thanks for your suggestions, while the heatsink idea has an air of uniqueness it's not really the solution I was looking for, still, thanks anyway! ;-)

Bonzoe: I could ring faults but the problem is that the connection doesn't stop, it merely slows down to a fraction of its normal speed, I have a sneaky suspicion that i'd be pointed towards heavy traffic or something along those lines.

Great suggestions though, cheers! :)
Leave the modem off and call Tech Support and say that the modem has packed in and they will send you a new one, that is a dangerous fire hazard and could potentially go up in flames.

or

You can tell them it gets very hot and can they please send a replacement.

Either way you do not sit there doung nothing while your modem overheats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

moaningmags
05-10-2008, 17:29
I agree with whydoIneedatech, simply tell the agent it's overheating and that you consider it a fire risk and want it replaced.

Davesonishville
05-10-2008, 17:41
Leave the modem off and call Tech Support and say that the modem has packed in and they will send you a new one, that is a dangerous fire hazard and could potentially go up in flames.

or

You can tell them it gets very hot and can they please send a replacement.

Either way you do not sit there doung nothing while your modem overheats.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise it wasn't directed at me, but didn't think of that :P Will do that, cheers.

BloodyL
05-10-2008, 18:09
Leave the modem off and call Tech Support and say that the modem has packed in and they will send you a new one.

That is what I ended up doing within a short time of the thread, they booked an engineer and he fitted a model 255 modem for me and replaced the power pack (Which is where the fault was).
Cheers.

Davesonishville: Thanks for the thread necromancy!, and good luck with you problem. :)

whydoIneedatech
05-10-2008, 18:23
I realise it wasn't directed at me, but didn't think of that :P Will do that, cheers.
I suppose it was I did not see that the thread had been bumped, but helped you anyway.

---------- Post added at 18:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

That is what I ended up doing within a short time of the thread, they booked an engineer and he fitted a model 255 modem for me and replaced the power pack (Which is where the fault was).
Cheers.

Davesonishville: Thanks for the thread necromancy!, and good luck with you problem. :)
As above never noticed the bump in the thread.:)

Davesonishville
05-10-2008, 19:35
Haha, sorry about the bump, I Googled "Cable modem overheat", and found the site, didn't think to look at the date of the last post :P Sorry 'boot that. But thanks a lot for the suggestion :)

whydoIneedatech
05-10-2008, 20:30
Haha, sorry about the bump, I Googled "Cable modem overheat", and found the site, didn't think to look at the date of the last post :P Sorry 'boot that. But thanks a lot for the suggestion :)
It is not a suggestion, because if you spoke to me you would have a modem ordered once you told me what the issue was, and I am sure any one of my colleagues will do the same.;)