PDA

View Full Version : Finally Ordered V+, Wonder what will happen next?

rv1
17-02-2007, 22:38
Hi everyone,

I've been with NTL for many years. I've never had to phone CS but I had some difficulties when ordering the V+Box. I was given many different pricing, I currently pay £11.50 for TV, £7.50 for Phone & £25.00 for BB. I wanted to reduce the TV to M as I pay for phone this should save me the 11.50? I wanted to change my Pace STB with V+ (which would be £15.00, as I have HD tv I wanted to watch Movies & HD content..not interested anything else).

Anyway I was told that I had to pay £5 extra per month to keep the current box other wise pay £75 for collection!!!!!:shocked:? Why cant the engineer take it back with him for free! This doesnt make sense. I thought installation was free till 28th February. Anyway, one nice CS person said it possible to do it without paying any extra but she put me forward to wrong department. Finally after phoning many times, I got this one guy who said he can do it, He told me my amount on bill will be about £47.00 (I'm assuming VM will not charge £75).

Anyway, They are coming on Thursday for installation!

Q1. Will they install new cable from outside to my house? or use the current cable, which has a splitter in the house feeding the Pace box & Cable modem?
Q2. The existing cable feeds my CableModem and TV. (the signal is weak as the picture freezes sometimes and the EPG lags). What can the engineer do for this? I heard on the forum that they can do somethin in the CAB to increase the signal
Q3. Will everything work before the engineer leaves my home?

What should I do to make sure everything works fine?

Thanks

Quam256
17-02-2007, 23:53
Q1 ,Itdepends on were the box is going.They normaly work from the easiest point (closest)
Q2 ,The engineer should take signal levels at each point and can adjust them at the Distribution Point (DP)(Cab)
Q3.Would like to say yes ,but cant answer that one.
If you read the paperwork that you should have received before the install it states the engineer will demonstrate and show you the services working before he leaves.Unless that has changed.

RUSTY
18-02-2007, 14:15
rv1. was also told it was free, to be sure I asked twice, then rang again to check and was told it`s free install.

rv1
18-02-2007, 17:09
Thanks for your replies Quam256 & Rusty.

Looking forward to the new box.

Quam256
18-02-2007, 21:15
You will have to tell us how it goes.

rv1
22-02-2007, 12:18
You will have to tell us how it goes.
Just had VM engineer (with his trainee) install the V+ Box. Couple of things: -

1) The Picture Quality is not that good (including the HD preview Channel 108 bit fuzzy). I was advised to install RG11 Cable from the street to my house, as this is caused by signal weakness.

2) I was told by engineer that I would not be able to change the Volume from V+ controller for my TV (which is Samsung). He tried the codes for Samsung but didn’t work.

3) From Virgin Central (channel 119) I was able to select On Demand menu from there and browse other titles on the Pace box. It’s not possible from v+ box. You have to press home and then select On Demand stuff, which is where you'll find TV Choice. Another Difference is that when I select a program (Da Ali G Show) its says Cost: Subscribed (On Pace it said £free).

4) V+ is quicker then Pace in the menu. But slow when changing channels (takes about 8second btw changing chl.)

5) With the Pace box I was able to use the TV Out connection. I connected an aerial from there to a junction box, which distributed cables to all my other rooms. This does not work, I can’t get signal from the V+ Aerial. The Engineer had no idea about this (He looked like a Trainee himself!)

6) You cant re-arrange channels (unless you use Favs). However, all subscribed channels are at the front when browsing/flicking. But the guide lists all channels in order not on subscribed basis.

7) Nice looking kit though.

8) In V+ Recoding section there is option 4. V+ Extra, When you select it you can 1. Copy to VCR/DVD. I wonder how this will work. Has anyone tried this?

Quam256
22-02-2007, 12:30
1)How is the V+ connected to the tv,HDMI Scart RF.
I have never known the signal from the cab being to low making your pictures fuzzy,except on analogue.It may be clashing with either a terrestrial signal from your aeriel or a vcr if you have one.
2)I have a samsung aswell the codes have never worked on mine either

rv1
22-02-2007, 13:27
Basically, if I select HDMI on V+ this blocks signal to Scart going to VCR & Aerial.

If I change my TV display format to Widescreen on V+ then I can record to VCR and I can pick 1channel (v+ Box channel) on another tv.