PDA

View Full Version : Understanding a cat

greencreeper
17-02-2007, 21:24
Found a cat in the garden last night. Gave me a bit of a fright - I think I frightened it too. My cellar door is below ground - there's a narrow, uncovered passage, bounded by a wall, with steps leading up to ground level. The cat was on the wall, looking down at me. I said, "Hello", as you do, and it let out this really loud, drawn out meow, varying in volume. Sort of a wail. I asked what was wrong, and again - long meow. I moved closer to see if it would allow me to stroke it, and it fled. I've not heard a cat make such a noise before, so I was puzzled as it what it meant. Any cat owners able to translate?

Russ
17-02-2007, 21:27
I asked what was wrong, and again - long meow.

You were expecting another response?! :D

Could be that that particular cat had a rather unique miaow. I used to have a cat which I was convinced was gay - it had a pink nose and paws and gave the most camp, squeeky miaow you could ever imagine :spin:

greencreeper
17-02-2007, 21:31
Well, I thought the long meow might be a welcome or hello, of sorts. So I figured it might make another noise, but sadly not. So it might have been a soprano in a former life? Doesn't much help. Could maybe play it Tosca? :p:

CycoSymz
17-02-2007, 21:33
There's no understanding cat's, same goes for women.

You're nice to them and then they try and scratch your eyes out :D

greencreeper
17-02-2007, 21:37
That's my experience, too, Flange - with cats, not women :D It was the meow that just intrigued me.

Mr_love_monkey
17-02-2007, 21:42
If you'd recorded it, I'd be able to run it through my catomatic translator (TM) - however, going on your description I think the cat was saying:

1st meow : Hi, by the way, I've just taken a dump in your flowerbeds - when all your plants die in the next 2 weeks this is why. Also I've just sprayed all over the steps that you are standing on - you now stink.

2nd meow : did you hear me? you stink of cats wee now - go away - don't come any closer

etccarmageddon
17-02-2007, 22:28
a wailing drawn out meow indicates stress. it could be lost.

greencreeper
17-02-2007, 23:39
1st meow : Hi, by the way, I've just taken a dump in your flowerbeds - when all your plants die in the next 2 weeks this is why. Also I've just sprayed all over the steps that you are standing on - you now stink.

2nd meow : did you hear me? you stink of cats wee now - go away - don't come any closer
:rofl: It's their propensity for crapping everywhere (and killing that birds) that puts me off them.

a wailing drawn out meow indicates stress. it could be lost.
Stress :erm: Not a great deal I can do about stress. I tend to hit the bottle. Maybe a warm brandy and milk, should it turn up again?

Alien
18-02-2007, 00:17
Stress :erm: Not a great deal I can do about stress. I tend to hit the bottle. Maybe a warm brandy and milk, should it turn up again?
LMAO - when I read that I pictured you 2 sitting either side of a fire, wearing smoking jackets. The cat would have a monacle, & would be holding a brandy glass with the brandy & milk in 1 paw, idly swirling it, staring into the fire & saying "It's these blasted fleas, never can get rid of the blighters!". :disturbd:

greencreeper
18-02-2007, 00:22
LMAO - when I read that I pictured you 2 sitting either side of a fire, wearing smoking jackets. The cat would have a monacle, & would be holding a brandy glass with the brandy & milk in 1 paw, idly swirling it, staring into the fire & saying "It's these blasted fleas, never can get rid of the blighters!". :disturbd:
I like your imagination :D

Hom3r
18-02-2007, 00:25
It proberly suffered from a CATaclismic CATosophe

danielf
Just be glad its gone. Chances are it was about to crap on your patio. Horrible animals they are...

SMG
If you'd recorded it, I'd be able to run it through my catomatic translator (TM) - however, going on your description I think the cat was saying:

LMAO :D :D

DABhand
18-02-2007, 02:32
I used to have a cat, takes a while but you get used to varied arrays of Miaows and Purrs to the point you know what your cat wants :P

When a cat looks at you and blinks a few times thats a sign of affection and the cat is very happy.

A small purr come miaow, usually means gimme food and water.

A sharp loud Miaow, is let me out of here, I wanna go out and kill mice.

2 Miaows was "clean out my litter tray, I am a sophisticated cat, I dont like this sort of mess"

Xaccers
18-02-2007, 07:49
Gf thinks there may have been a cat on heat in the area so it was a randy meow.

I think if you'd looked up behind you, there'd have been something big and nasty crawling up the wall.

greencreeper
18-02-2007, 10:49
So, to summarise, it might be a hungry, randy, stressed cat. We may have more in common than I thought, though I don't suffer from fleas.

Graham M
18-02-2007, 11:00
Just be glad its gone. Chances are it was about to crap on your patio. Horrible animals they are...

Oh shush you, I'd rather have a cat poo in my back garden than a dog poo on my front

Delta Whiskey
18-02-2007, 11:00
Bugger, got to clean the coffee off the screen now. :D :tu:

DW

Hugh
18-02-2007, 12:47
Oh shush you, I'd rather have a cat poo in my back garden than a dog poo on my front

Please tell me that wasn't some form of metaphor! :disturbd:

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

Is this what happened, GC?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=13268&d=1171802794

Graham M
18-02-2007, 13:06
Please tell me that wasn't some form of metaphor! :disturbd:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=13268&d=1171802794

Probably should've added garden on to the end of thatbut I didn't spot the connotations :erm:

TheBlueRaja
18-02-2007, 13:14
Siamese cats have a very distinctive miow, did you get a good look at it?

I chased the girlfriends (particularly timid) housebound cat round the flat this morning with a hoover (turned off by the way), cat went ape (hissing, big puffed up tail etc), girlfriend went mad and now im apparently in "the bad books"...

Great laugh though.

Alien
18-02-2007, 14:59
I chased the girlfriends (particularly timid) housebound cat round the flat this morning with a hoover (turned off by the way), cat went ape (hissing, big puffed up tail etc), girlfriend went mad and now im apparently in "the bad books"...

Great laugh though.
Apparently my mum's new bull terrier isn't too fond of the hoover either.

Hugh
18-02-2007, 16:51
Apparently my mum's new bull terrier isn't too fond of the hoover either.

Nothing sucks like an Electrolux.......;)

Alien
18-02-2007, 17:37
Nothing sucks like an Electrolux.......;)
I have to agree - mine died after I'd only had it a couple of months, must get round to getting it fixed.

As for my mum's - I was using "hoover" in the generic sense, she's got a Dyson.

v0id
18-02-2007, 18:10
The long meow, was a probably a response to you being there, after it'd just marked that place as it's territory. As if to say, "This is mine, get out".
Then you approached it, and it thought, "sod it, that things bigger and uglier than me, I'm off"

:D

Mr_love_monkey
18-02-2007, 21:45
So, to summarise, it might be a hungry, randy, stressed cat. We may have more in common than I thought, though I don't suffer from fleas.

Can you lick your own.............feet?

Apparently the male cats appendage is barbed, which is why the female cats scream whilst they're at it... I haven't checked this for a fact, just so you know

Stuart
18-02-2007, 21:56
Found a cat in the garden last night. Gave me a bit of a fright - I think I frightened it too. My cellar door is below ground - there's a narrow, uncovered passage, bounded by a wall, with steps leading up to ground level. The cat was on the wall, looking down at me. I said, "Hello", as you do, and it let out this really loud, drawn out meow, varying in volume. Sort of a wail. I asked what was wrong, and again - long meow. I moved closer to see if it would allow me to stroke it, and it fled. I've not heard a cat make such a noise before, so I was puzzled as it what it meant. Any cat owners able to translate?

Cats usually give long meows when they are frightened or under stress. It's also possible that your at has (as mine has) learned that a long wailing meow is a good way to get attention if he or she wants something.

Angua
18-02-2007, 22:19
Cats Meows are like babies cries in so far as only the cats person will know what each cry means.
Our old cat has a very weak mew, whereas another cat has to be secured downstairs or he will wake everyone up loudly mewing for food at 5am. :erm: :disturbd:

If the cat was friendly or hungry you would soon know :D

AdamD
18-02-2007, 22:45
Cats usually give long meows when they are frightened or under stress. It's also possible that your at has (as mine has) learned that a long wailing meow is a good way to get attention if he or she wants something.

Agreed
One of my mother's cats (Max), who we gave the nickname "whiney", does just that
If you approach him when he's waiting at his food bowl, he'll make a longgggggg whiney type meow

On the flip side of the coin, a cat got stuck in our house once and couldnt' get out, it panicked and ran into a bedroom, when I went near it, it to did the same long meow, but you could tell it was distressed, poor thing.

greencreeper
18-02-2007, 23:58
Can you lick your own.............feet?
Yes. Haven't yet reached my ******** though

Apparently the male cats appendage is barbed, which is why the female cats scream whilst they're at it... I haven't checked this for a fact, just so you know
That'll come in useful, I'm sure :erm:

So the general view is that the cat was upset - or at least wanting something. It did seem to tense it's rear legs - as if to leap :erm: I wouldn't particularly want it on my head, but maybe it wanted comfort. But then again, why leg it when I moved closer. I might purchase a tin of tuna next time I'm doing the food shop.

Fingy
19-02-2007, 07:23
You just need to look at its tail, if it goes mega bushy then he feels scared or threatened.

Meows... good luck understanding them, my kitten is 8 months old and I think sometimes he just likes the sound of his own voice.

Graham M
19-02-2007, 07:34
sometimes he just likes the sound of his own voice.

I think that's true for a lot of cats, its certainly close for mine, and she's 10 or 11 but thinks she's a kitten:)

lauzjp
19-02-2007, 08:19

omg, tell me about it - my neighbours cats are very good at this. long meows mean either - give me food or just simply give me attention and strokes - nooooooooow!

see pics below - a meow at pic#1 would be give me attention, as she is already on the bed this is a plus. if the bed wasn't made and she meows - that would mean - make the bed, I want to lie down. if she was facing the airing cupboard and meowing that would mean - put the heating on, I'm cold. :rolleyes: honestly, she'll settle after these things are done! having a fuss in pic #2 = happy puss. pic #3 - she loves to curl up in your arms. such a cutie! then she'll fall asleep quite happy. :)

lauzjp
19-02-2007, 08:25
So the general view is that the cat was upset - or at least wanting something. It did seem to tense it's rear legs - as if to leap :erm: I wouldn't particularly want it on my head, but maybe it wanted comfort. But then again, why leg it when I moved closer. I might purchase a tin of tuna next time I'm doing the food shop. :tu: make sure its just in brine and don't drain it, but mash it up before you dish it up. :rolleyes:

the cat will learn to love you then! :D my neighbour leaves food out twice a day for the local pusscats. even if they do appear quite well in health already!? just leave some food out somewhere - don't try to approach the cat. if the cat wants attention it will make moves towards you and meow at you. if it is a ferral cat it will take a while to get used to seeing you around... try and get a photo of it for us catlovers on cf! :)

D_Skids
19-02-2007, 09:00
My cat sometimes stares in to corner of the room and meows. Like the way the dog barks at the wall in poltergeist.

I think he does it just to freak me out.

AdamD
22-02-2007, 19:14
My cat sometimes stares in to corner of the room and meows. Like the way the dog barks at the wall in poltergeist.

I think he does it just to freak me out.

Heh our two cats used to do that as well, they'd stare at the doorway in my room, eyes would go black, they'd get real low on the floor like they were stalking something and howl

Was kinda creepy

scrotnig
22-02-2007, 19:51
I recently "acquired" a cat.

It used to live up the road and the owner asked my neighbour to look after it "for a few days" some months back, the owner did a runner and I have taken the cat on, as I love cats and have always wanted one.

Here's a picture, unfortunately he is called "Ginger", this was already his name and so I am not changing it.

He is extremely well behaved and doesn't even scratch things in the house.

http://www.bowlandcentral.org/images/cats/cat18.jpg

Alien
22-02-2007, 19:57
Yesterday afternoon I heard a meowing coming from outside, & it wasn't exactly a happy meow. I looked out of my window & saw 2 cats trying to stare each other down. They weren't fighting, but it looked like they might be about to, so I went & filled up my Waterpik (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4427304/Trail/C%24cip%3D50116.Bathroom%2Band%2Bpersonal%2Bcare%3 EC%24cip%3D50145.Personal%2Bcare%3EC%24cip%3D50153 .Electric%2Btoothbrushes.htm) & used it on them. Not sure if I actually got them or not [they ran off really quickly], but it's only water & it's better that they get slightly wet than injured from fighting with each other [they went off in seperate directions].

It's surprising the range that thing has. :D

AdamD
22-02-2007, 21:07
I recently "acquired" a cat.

It used to live up the road and the owner asked my neighbour to look after it "for a few days" some months back, the owner did a runner

Hate it when people do that

The old lady who lived in our home just left her cat here, didn't even ask us, or anyone to look after it for her
So we moved in and this cat kept trying to get into the catflap each night
It was only after a few days did the neighbour next door tell us the cat lived there
So we "adopted" it
Allmost a year later, someone came round as per the old lady's request to ask if the cat was ok..
If you were concerned about your own cat, why abandon it?

No one knew it's name either, so we named it "Sauron" ;)

scrotnig
22-02-2007, 21:23
Yes, it's quite disturbing.

My cat is lovely (as can be seen from the photo) and so placid and well behaved. I can't understand why anyone would dump him.

Anyway he's quite a lucky pussy really since by moving in with me he has not only found a new home without going to a rescue centre, but it's also only four doors down from his old one, so he knows the area.

greencreeper
23-02-2007, 00:30
Your cat, scrotnig, has a look of sophistication about him - in his eyes. Lovely colour though.

No sign as yet of the cat, though I did find one sat on a bin the other day and it meowed at me too - a soft, sleepy, "it's comfy up here and I can't be bothered shifting" meow, so I let it be with just a "Hello then" as I went past. Seems to be a cat area.

lauzjp
23-02-2007, 01:41
:D I love pusscats! the ginger one looks like 'Tyco' named after where Anton works - the staff take care of him, they insist, no matter how much I pleed with Anton to kidnap the stray puss. Amber, has presently moved back in with us (her owner lives downstairs, but we all got fed up with Amber's howling meow's to escape to up here...) - she has a fetish for plastic bags and sitting in odd places. :)

Delta Whiskey
24-02-2007, 17:33
I came across a print advert in the Times today, the website is: http://www.talktoyourcat.co.uk/

What can you say?

DW - http://cuteoverload.com/ - http://www.dailykitten.com/

Alien
24-02-2007, 18:08
I came across a print advert in the Times today, the website is: http://www.talktoyourcat.co.uk/

What can you say?
How about "meow"? :D

http://cuteoverload.com/ - http://www.dailykitten.com/
There's also this: http://www.thecuteproject.com/

Delta Whiskey
24-02-2007, 20:39
How about "meow"? :D

There's also this: http://www.thecuteproject.com/

Well!, I mean to say!. Is that sort of language allowed? :D

Good link, hadn't come across that one before. :-)

DW

greencreeper
24-02-2007, 22:40
I saw the cat again, though not to talk to - it was disappearing under a car as I was going out last night. Coming home tonight, I found yet another cat set on a fence post - quite cute with a bell on its collar. The silent type. Speaking of going out, I woke up this morning feeling like this feline looks - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_6390000/newsid_6392900/6392983.stm

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-02-2007, 22:45
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_6390000/newsid_6392900/6392983.stm

So many jokes there, lucky nugs not here

Hugh
24-02-2007, 22:59
mmmmm........
(stops just in time, saving himself from being banned from CF)

lauzjp
09-03-2007, 04:14
aw, my (neighbours) little puss Amber - who has taken up residence in our flat has been sleeping in a cardboard box for a week - usually she'd be bored of an area by now and taking over somewhere else, but she's presently very contented as there is one of our fluffiest towels in the bottom of it, and one over the top of her which omg, she looks so cuuuuuuuuute when she curls up in it! its like tucking in a baby for bed! lol. she deserves it, she was a very good girl today - I gave her a little spongebath with warm diluted tea tree oil cos her skin is flaring up where she washes and scratches all the time...

Alien
09-03-2007, 04:27
You can't go telling us stuff like that, about how cute she looks, & then not post a photo. That's just simply not allowed! :shocked:

lauzjp
09-03-2007, 06:06
You can't go telling us stuff like that, about how cute she looks, & then not post a photo. That's just simply not allowed! :shocked:

lol, I would, but there are no batteries for the camera :( and my mobile that I could hook up to the pc died! I'll see if I can find some batteries...