PDA

View Full Version : IPSec VPN Blocked

jezt
17-02-2007, 10:31
Hi, does anyone know if Virgin Media block IPSec (port 500)? I use an IPSec VPN occasionally to do out of hours support for work? It has always worked fine up to and including the day last week it snowed as I worked from home that day. But now it no longer works, I know my laptop is ok because it works from anywhere else. I know my router is ok because I can see at work the request coming in and the reply being sent but it never gets back to my home router (also nothing has changed on my router). I know the VPN gateway at work is ok because we have many other people connecting ok and we can see my request come in and the reply going out from work.

So I can only assume Virgin Media has put a block on it. I'm in a an ex-ntl area, and have used this VPN successfully for about 18 months.

Any ideas, thanks...

Bill C
17-02-2007, 11:02
Hi, does anyone know if Virgin Media block IPSec (port 500)? I use an IPSec VPN occasionally to do out of hours support for work? It has always worked fine up to and including the day last week it snowed as I worked from home that day. But now it no longer works, I know my laptop is ok because it works from anywhere else. I know my router is ok because I can see at work the request coming in and the reply being sent but it never gets back to my home router (also nothing has changed on my router). I know the VPN gateway at work is ok because we have many other people connecting ok and we can see my request come in and the reply going out from work.

So I can only assume Virgin Media has put a block on it. I'm in a an ex-ntl area, and have used this VPN successfully for about 18 months.

Any ideas, thanks...

Sorry

They dont block those ports.

albert_the_dog
17-02-2007, 11:13
do you use a pcf file ? I had a problem similar to this , replaced my pcf and it worked again.

AtD

brundles
17-02-2007, 15:48
Sorry

They dont block those ports.

Thanks for that Bill - I was getting worried.

My worry about VPN tunnels in general is that a lot of people (me included) do use them for work - like the OP, I use it for out-of-hours support work. Unfortunately the "gimme-the-whole-internet" brigade are using VPNs more and more to bypass traffic shaping (there seemed to be a reference at one time to it bypassing the traffic management as well but I'm not convinced about that). If that continues it's only a matter of time before VPNs get blocked to stop that sort of stuff :(