PDA

View Full Version : Terayon modem. Can it handle 10mb/s?

REM
16-02-2007, 09:25
I have recently had the V+ installed and with what I save over my old Sky subscription I thought I'd upgrade my old NTL 4mb/s to 10mb/s.

After several calls to India and going round and round the automated menu system on the phone I found out that they have not yet upgraded me (after 2 days). While waiting to speak to CS to ask them again to upgrade me I managed to do it myself via the website.

Although it is now saying I have 10mb/s my speed still shows as 4mb/s.

But one of the tech people said that my old Terayon modem was not capable of speeds in excess of 5mb/s.

Is this true?

In a side note they diagnosed an intermittent connection problem and an engineer is coming out to check it and I was told with any luck he might replace my modem with a newer one.

Hom3r
16-02-2007, 09:29
My Terayon is being replaced because it cannot handle 10Mb.

It will definatley not ne able to handle the rumoured 20/50Mb.

Chris
16-02-2007, 10:12
Quite aside from whether it can handle 10Mb, other changes 'Virgin Media' is making to the network mean your Terry is becoming obsolete. Check this thread out:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33603266-merged-terayon-terajet-modems-becoming-obsolete.html

Slyder
16-02-2007, 10:51
Is this true?

In a side note they diagnosed an intermittent connection problem and an engineer is coming out to check it and I was told with any luck he might replace my modem with a newer one.

It's true.

With any luck ? You should not need luck to get it replaced. Your paying for a 10 meg service which the modem you have can not achieve. It is Virgin Medias responsibility to upgrade your modem. ;)

Nikesh
16-02-2007, 10:59
Yep, Terayon's are not capable of 10Mb upgrade or the Qam256 upgrade. I have neither upgrades so my Terayon is working perfectly. :)

REM
16-02-2007, 11:10
Thank you all for your help.

@ Chris T that thread was interesting. If I'd known that I'd have complained months ago. I have been suffering problems on and off for ages.

Illuminist
16-02-2007, 11:15
If the Terayon is the silver modem then it certainly can handle 10mb. Though that is in a correctly functioning cable area. (I wonder if Virgin do anything about the areas that aren't.)

...I've had no problems with it.

Chris
16-02-2007, 11:40
If the Terayon is the silver modem then it certainly can handle 10mb. Though that is in a correctly functioning cable area. (I wonder if Virgin do anything about the areas that aren't.)

...I've had no problems with it.

The Terayon is not silver, it's black and designed to stand either upright or on its side. It should say 'TJ' for Terajet on it somewhere as well.

The silver one is one of the ntl branded ones, I used to have one, can't remember the model number any more though.

Illuminist
16-02-2007, 12:06
Thanks for the clarification...

HDFootyMan
17-02-2007, 00:25
My old Terayon modem could only go upto 5.5 Meg on my 10Meg service (which I obtained via the VIP pack). I contacted Virgin and their engineer gave me a NTL 250 modem which now gives me the speed I'm paying for. :)

REM
17-02-2007, 15:05
Well he came out today and replaced the Terayon with a blue ntl:250.

Tried several speedtest sites but didn't get what I expected. The upload speed during the test stayed very close to 512 all the time but when it ended the results were as follows.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/02/77.png (http://www.speedtest.net)