PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband won't start with Security Software Activated

willsDTFC
15-02-2007, 12:54
Hi folks,

I've had 4mb broadband from ntl for a few months now. When I first got connected I had Panda security software on my machine and everything worked fine. Then I found I was unable to connect to the server. I contacted ntl and was told to de-activate my security software and I was then able to connect. I was obviously not keen to use the internet without security software and my machine contracted spyware etc...and was then useless.

I then changed my machine and installed ntl Netguard free of charge. Again the machine would not connect to the server with the Netguard activated, but would with it de-activated. My machine has once again become infected. I am in the process of sorting the machine out, but I can predict that when I attempt to access the net again the security software will block the connection.

Any ideas please as to the way forward on this, I really, really don't want to connect again with no security activated. Please help.

DABhand
15-02-2007, 13:18
Did you perhaps block IE or any other browser with the security software?

willsDTFC
15-02-2007, 13:25
I'm not sure, not particularly technically gifted. How do I check this?

MaccLad
15-02-2007, 13:28
There shouldn't be any insurmountable problem with using security software on broadband. I've never used either Panda, or Netguard - so I couldn't give any detailed advice on those, but I do use ZoneAlarm, and have also used Windows XP and Vista firewalls without any problems.

You could:

1) Get a hardware firewall/router. That would keep out most undesireable stuff;

and/or

2) Get some further advice with configuring whatever firewall you want to use. I'm sure the knowledgeable folk on this forum will be happy to help - though I'd think some more details on your setup might be required - e.g. whether you're on cable or ADSL, whether it's ethernet or USB modem, whether it's Windows XP etc.

willsDTFC
15-02-2007, 13:30
OK a few more details:

Only have Win 2000 on this machine, connected using ethernet, not sure what else to say really.

Rone
15-02-2007, 15:21
Well i would uninstall all your firewall stuff etc, just to see if you can connect, if you can then there's your answer, its unlikely a master hacker will be able to do much in a few seconds while you test it.
If you cant connect, it wont matter and you will have to look at something else. ;)

willsDTFC
15-02-2007, 15:48
I'm not sure I need to uninstall all the security stuff since I already know that I can connect to the net with it disabled. My main concern is that I need to protect my machine but am unable to activate the security software and connect to the net aswell.

Rone
15-02-2007, 16:35
Not sure as ive used Panda with XP and had no problems, been a while since i used 2000, though its basically XP anyway, sorry i misunderstood your problem. ;)

DABhand
15-02-2007, 18:23
Check the settings, there has to be somewhere in there with a list of programs that have been blocked from having net access.

Check the list for your browser in the list, be it Firefox or Opera or Internet Explorer and if its in the list set to Allow or whatever the option is to set to to allow access.

Mr Clean
15-02-2007, 19:14
First thing I'd do is uninstall Netguard with connection disabled. Restart comp, enable connection and go and get another firewall.

I had the misfortune of being called to a friends once that installed Netguard and it completely killed the PC. Nothing would start up, connection or programs. Format was the only option.

But as you can do things on your comp, my advice is remove that junk and get something better. Lots of free AVG and FW's out there.

rikur
15-02-2007, 20:53
make sure you are not blocking port UDP67.
port 67 is required by DHCP to allocate your computer an IP address

IvIaXiIvIuS
15-02-2007, 21:31
Great Anti-Virus software and firewall here as a trial.
AVG freeware version 7
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/75/lng/us/tpl/tpl01?prd=afw&simple=1

I have been using it now for 12months and in that time never had a problem with malware/virus since using it.
Some others that are highly recomended(either free or trials)

1. Kaspersky version 6.0
http://www.kaspersky.com/trials?chapter=186685226

2. Nod32 version 2.51.30
https://secure.eset.co.uk/forms/trial.asp

3. Avast Professional version 4
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Hope these few help :)

Mick Fisher
15-02-2007, 21:35
I use kerio PF v2.1.5. It has varying degrees of security that can be set.

The highest level effectively blocks everything from connecting out or in and does not notify you in any way.

The medium level detects an intrusion attempt or a software on your machine attempting to phone home and notifies you by asking for a permission. In this way you set rules and "train your firewall".

All the software firewalls I have used have worked similarly so I expect yours to do the same.

If you can find the "master security level" setting and reduce it I am hoping your problem will be solved.

HTH

DABhand
16-02-2007, 04:06
First thing I'd do is uninstall Netguard with connection disabled. Restart comp, enable connection and go and get another firewall.

I had the misfortune of being called to a friends once that installed Netguard and it completely killed the PC. Nothing would start up, connection or programs. Format was the only option.

But as you can do things on your comp, my advice is remove that junk and get something better. Lots of free AVG and FW's out there.

You could have used Safe Mode to uninstall it.

willsDTFC
16-02-2007, 08:03
Thanks for all your help and advice. However, I attempted to turn the machine on last night and found that it won't start because one of the Win 2000 files is missing or corrupt, typical. I've had a look at how to rectify this and it would appear that a re-install of Win 2000 is required. I've tried this using the startup CDs, booting straight from CD Rom but no joy, still gets stuck at screen saying files are missing or corrupt, any further ideas please?

DABhand
17-02-2007, 10:40
Perhaps either Memory problem, or Hard disk problems.

I.e. Inside your machine :P No footery about with unless you know what your doing.

Angua
17-02-2007, 11:35
For a free for life firewall I would suggest Comodo (http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/) then a virus scanner on top (I use Avast).

One thing I noticed seemed to sort out connection problems was to connect with the firewall disabled then as soon as connection was ok re-enable the firewall and thereafter it "learned" that this was an acceptable site.