PDA

View Full Version : Browser Temporary Internet Files

Sherlock
15-02-2007, 03:43
As a broadband user, is it better to have a large amount of temporary internet files (500mb - 1gb) or small (20mb - 50mb). I always thought that the temp internet files acts as a cache helping to speed things up. After speaking to Virginmedia about slow internet speeds they got me to delete my cookies and temp internet files. I must admit that browsing seemed a lot faster after that. :confused:

So what's the deal? If temp internet files are ment to act as a bit of a cache, why does it seem faster after emptying it? Could it be that I'm using too much HDD space for temp files? (550mb) Is there an optimum size?

All points of view welcome...:)

lauzjp
15-02-2007, 04:38
I tend to empty our temporary internet files once every week or so, and the cookies once a month. :tu: force of habit more than anything, don't know if it makes any actual difference... I'm sure someone will be along later to tell us! :)

Mick Fisher
15-02-2007, 05:02
I found a long time ago that not emptying your browser cache regularly can cause all sorts of weird things to happen.

Since then my cache is set to the smallest possible and the browser is set to automatically empty the cache each time it closes.

Strangely I just went to internet options to check the actual size my cache is set to and there seems to be nothing there at all about caches anymore.:(

Help mum! Whats going on...;)

bonzoe
15-02-2007, 09:23
the browser spends time looking for items in the cache first, so when you have a large cache with many items in it, this will take longer.

Nikesh
15-02-2007, 10:11
I tend to clear my cache every couple of days... I think it speeds it up but I don't really understand why...

paulius55
15-02-2007, 10:52
I have the minimum amount and empty automatically when I exit. I believe that the cache is far less important with broadband than with dial-up.

Halcyon
15-02-2007, 11:02
I think cleaning things out is always good at the end of the day.

www.ccleaner.com does this very well.

Nilrem
15-02-2007, 14:57
As several people have said, the cache is a compromise, it can make things faster (especially if you've got a slow connection* or the site is slow/has a lot of static content and you've visited before), but can also slow things down.

I've found about 50mb or 100mb of browser cache seems to work best for myself, enough to keep static content on my regular pages from having to be reloaded every time i visit, but not enough to slow things down on other sites.
One thing I have noticed is that if (like me) you tend to leave the PC on all the time, totally shutting down the browser once in a while helps a lot:) (I've got a habit of leaving my brower open for days at a time).

Rone
15-02-2007, 15:17
I clear mine out fairly regularly, and a good "cleaner" as mentioned does no harm. ;)

greencreeper
15-02-2007, 20:28
I turned mine off - pages load faster