PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper Broadband from VM?

DABhand
14-02-2007, 00:54
Yep you heard right.

Give them a call and tell them how your not happy with the service and costs, many have received their 10mb service for 25 quid a month, no new contract.

I only have 4mb no need for anything else got mine to 19.99 a month.

Nikesh
14-02-2007, 10:21
Great, it looks like Virgin Media are still giving out these deals after all...:erm:

Looks like this isn't true then:

Apparently...(this is what someone at work has told me whose gf works for Telewest) they have been handed little booklets now which instructs them on how to respond when people call threatening to leave Virginmedia for Sky.

Whereas before the retention bods would try and get you to stay, now they've been told to just say 'ok, go then' as Virgin is so confident that it will get so many of Sky's customers through it's benefits of being part of a big company (trains/flights/music etc.) it's not bothered about people leaving???

Anyone know any more or if this is true now?

jellybaby
14-02-2007, 10:42
If people are not happy with the prices rom VM they should bugger off and find a cheaper supplier. I really wish people would stop ringing and getting these discounts. The price is there in black and white, if you don't like it dont get it.

Graham M
14-02-2007, 10:42
If people are not happy with the prices rom VM they should bugger off and find a cheaper supplier. I really wish people would stop ringing and getting these discounts. The price is there in black and white, if you don't like it dont get it.

100% agree!

K3V1N
14-02-2007, 11:26
But if the company doesnt want you to leave and they are willing to do this then why not do it, moneys better in my pocket than theirs.

Richy99
14-02-2007, 11:44
as its been said if you dont like the prices go elsewhere, you dont haggle for prices with other products and services do you? you dont go get petrol and say i can get it 3p cheaper at asda when your at your local petrol station

greyfox1974
14-02-2007, 11:55

100% agree!

well maybe ntl/telewest shouldnt have been given these discounts in the first place and give a better service in the first place people wouldnt be upset and want wot they have payed for it's a 2 ways thing if you dont give wot you sell you shouldnt take dont you think

Shaun
14-02-2007, 12:40
To be fair if they were competitive then people wouldn't feel like they deserved a discount! :erm:

AndyCambs
14-02-2007, 12:44

I have to agree.
Do these people stand in line in Sainsburys and haggle at the till over every single item? If so, please let me know which store, and I'll give the entire town a wide berth!

greyfox1974
14-02-2007, 12:46
To be fair if they were competitive then people wouldn't feel like they deserved a discount! :erm:

i totaly agree but some ppl dont see it like that do they lol you should pay the price they ask you

tweetypie/8
14-02-2007, 14:36
But if the company doesnt want you to leave and they are willing to do this then why not do it, moneys better in my pocket than theirs.

your dead right mate, never look a gift horse in the mouth.;)

banjo
14-02-2007, 14:51
my internet is terrible at the moment, and if they had not given me a deal I would have left this cable disaster in the blink of an eye. I refuse to pay full price for a sub standard service.

Richy99
14-02-2007, 15:07
my internet is terrible at the moment, and if they had not given me a deal I would have left this cable disaster in the blink of an eye. I refuse to pay full price for a sub standard service.

so leave and get a better service?

banjo
14-02-2007, 15:10
so leave and get a better service?

And who are you to tell me to leave, I will when they try to charge me an outrageous price for a terrible service which you or no one else can deny !

Richy99
14-02-2007, 15:25
well you seem to think that paying less for a sub standard service is better than moving to someone else who can provide a better service and more competitively priced

antwire
14-02-2007, 15:35
in all fairness companies wouldnt have a retention team and also would offer these deals if
a) they knew they were allready a highly competive company with their pricing structure
b) they knew their service was the best in ton
c) they wouldnt offer deals if they couldnt afford it every company does it and it is completely acceptable.

Also if you are a long standing customer why not expect a discount for your loyalty

banjo
14-02-2007, 15:35
I will move as soon as it suites me, a friend of mine pays £20 a month for 8meg bb and free telephone calls so how do you equate that with £35 for 10meg "not" bb £11 for line rental and then call charges on top.

DABhand
14-02-2007, 15:37
People are missing the point.

You CAN shop around and get things cheaper. All you need is the, how can I put this, gonads to ask for it.

Im sure they dont want to lose customers after all. Would they not prefer 25 quid for a 10mb service than 0 quid a month when they leave.

Its business, if people just sit and take whats offered to them, prices will eventually soar to the point you are going to pay extortionate prices for something it shouldnt be.

Now there is no point posting here and whining like 5yo's about if people dont like the price they should leave, it is their choice if they wish to persue it. I started the thread so people know they have the choice to persue a better deal.

banjo
14-02-2007, 15:41
People are missing the point.

You CAN shop around and get things cheaper. All you need is the, how can I put this, gonads to ask for it.

Im sure they dont want to lose customers after all. Would they not prefer 25 quid for a 10mb service than 0 quid a month when they leave.

Its business, if people just sit and take whats offered to them, prices will eventually soar to the point you are going to pay extortionate prices for something it shouldnt be.

Now there is no point posting here and whining like 5yo's about if people dont like the price they should leave, it is their choice if they wish to persue it. I started the thread so people know they have the choice to persue a better deal.

Exactly my sentimate 100 %

DABhand
14-02-2007, 16:43
I should say Pursue and not Persue lol

Yep my spelling sucks today.

And do take note people, this applies to TV and Phone also.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

New example.

The handicapped mother next door to me had someone call for her, she was on 2mb service which she still gets.

But her TV which she loves, was 64 quid a month, she is now getting another 40 channels for 16 quid less a month. And its ongoing as long as she stays with them.

Again if you dont ask you dont get :)

Enuff
14-02-2007, 17:32
I've had deals on and off for the past 3 or 4 years.

savvychels
14-02-2007, 18:12

In your circumstances I agree that you deserve to be compensated for substandard service. That's what the discounts should be for. Not for Joe Bloggs to ring up and try to hold a company hostage because he heard on a board that if you threaten to leave they'll lower your price. So I agree with the other posters - if people aren't prepared to pay the price for the service (unless there are legitimate issues) then go elsewhere.

DABhand
14-02-2007, 18:13
And if you dont like the thread...

Dont post in it..

Everyones happy :P

Locky
14-02-2007, 18:20
I will move as soon as it suites me, a friend of mine pays £20 a month for 8meg bb and free telephone calls so how do you equate that with £35 for 10meg "not" bb £11 for line rental and then call charges on top.

well i bet he does NOT get 8 meg and i BET HE HAS a download allowance. need i say more ?

banjo
14-02-2007, 19:04
well i bet he does NOT get 8 meg and i BET HE HAS a download allowance. need i say more ?

You just lost your bet, they do get 8meg as I have seen it every time I go round there and I cringe at the speed their pages load and how fast they can download it knocks spots off my 10 meg connection, I do not know about the download allowance but they have not complained of any problems, I suggest you get your facts right before you bet.

LostintheNW
14-02-2007, 19:13
Sorry but whats the point in all this getting cheap deals? the new packages from Virgin are great, the VIP is v good value for money...why not take advantage of what they actually offer instead of trying to screw them over. Everyone moans they don't invest in new stuff....care to stop and think why when you are all on the phone constantly asking for cheaper deals coz mr smith down the road has 100000000meg broadband and only pays £3.50 and a loaf of bread! get over it

AntiSilence
14-02-2007, 19:15

:tu:

Locky
14-02-2007, 19:16
You just lost your bet, they do get 8meg as I have seen it every time I go round there and I cringe at the speed their pages load and how fast they can download it knocks spots off my 10 meg connection, I do not know about the download allowance but they have not complained of any problems, I suggest you get your facts right before you bet.

ok fair enuf they get 8 meg but i guarentee it is not unlimited no way is 8 meg adsl based access unlimited

Virgin Mary
14-02-2007, 19:17
Not for Joe Bloggs to ring up and try to hold a company hostage because he heard on a board that if you threaten to leave they'll lower your price. So I agree with the other posters - if people aren't prepared to pay the price for the service (unless there are legitimate issues) then go elsewhere.

NTL held me hostage for years (Big tree in front of the house, no Sky Sat view, NTL doeas not know).

It's my pleasure to squeeze NTL/VM retentions to the bone. Every three months, I pay the bare minimum....

Virgin Mary
14-02-2007, 19:20

if it was black and white, then why do they have the gray retentions dept?
I prefer the gray prices, as they are less than the b&w ones...

banjo
14-02-2007, 19:22
ok fair enuf they get 8 meg but i guarentee it is not unlimited no way is 8 meg adsl based access unlimited

Yes but what you are failing to understand is with my poor connection I could not reach any download limits and adsl is making my cable look feeble and as I said they have not hit any limits.

Locky
14-02-2007, 19:49
Yes but what you are failing to understand is with my poor connection I could not reach any download limits and adsl is making my cable look feeble and as I said they have not hit any limits.

adsl does not look cable feeble at all, maybe to some extent ADSL2+ makes cable look feble..

lynx2oo2
14-02-2007, 19:49
I agree that phoning retentions just to get it cheaper is not on, you knew the price when you joined / upgraded, if you are not happy, downgrade or leave.

I left NTL a while back, was on 4Mbit for £25 pm, I was happy, but moved to BT's adsl max, but was only getting 2Mbit maximum.

Phoned VM 2 days ago, being installed next wednesday, Telephone line, evening and weekend calls and 10Mbit BB for £32.50 PM, saving almost £20 pm on the combined price.

Now this discount is justified because as a new customer, I did not haggle the price, that is the price I was quoted.

banjo
14-02-2007, 20:12
adsl does not look cable feeble at all, maybe to some extent ADSL2+ makes cable look feble..

adsl does make cable look feeble I have seen it, their pages load in a second or so not like mine when I click a link and have to wait to see if the site will or will not load and if it does my pages load slowly and bit by bit, "no pun intended" now if you wish to keep handbag bashing at ten paces that's all right by me but it is going off topic :) Oh and by the way I do not tell untruths, why would I ?

Shaun
14-02-2007, 20:52

But it does suit him - so yes you do need to find more holes in the service :)

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Was when I was with Bulldog and is (well not now, it's 16Meg) now I'm with Sky.

That's £25 and £10 respectively :)

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Oh and I guess you despise Martin Lewis? He recommends screwing every company possible:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1099157672,92885,

Oh and double standards! (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34222678-post60.html)

Enuff
14-02-2007, 21:28
I don't understand why some members are blaming the customer for the deals that VM are giving. Why don't you blame VM for the deals being there in the first place?

DABhand
14-02-2007, 22:40
I agree that phoning retentions just to get it cheaper is not on, you knew the price when you joined / upgraded, if you are not happy, downgrade or leave.

I left NTL a while back, was on 4Mbit for £25 pm, I was happy, but moved to BT's adsl max, but was only getting 2Mbit maximum.

Phoned VM 2 days ago, being installed next wednesday, Telephone line, evening and weekend calls and 10Mbit BB for £32.50 PM, saving almost £20 pm on the combined price.

Now this discount is justified because as a new customer, I did not haggle the price, that is the price I was quoted.

I knew when I started.

So its my fault that I should have knew there would be weeks of absolute pish service and support, speaking to Indians at night, TV/Phone offline for an hour sometimes.

Yes Woe Be Tide me for getting them cheaper to ease my faith in them so I didnt leave after being a customer for years.

If you didnt haggle thats a shame, businesses are they to haggle with, if you choose not to then thats fine, if you choose to then thats fine too.

What isnt fine, is coming in here into my thread and moaning like a child about it, so what if I decided to get a better deal for the poor service of late, thats is MY decision not yours, and its the same for everyone.

The idea of this thread was not to have a debate if its right or wrong to do so, it was to inform people who have had problems and are not happy to get a better deal.

Sure it was written as Black and White as others put it, so is Macdonald Burgers on their pics, never the same is it, but it is there in black and white and colour so we shouldnt complain yes?

Gareth
14-02-2007, 23:09
Heh, I love the irony in this.... people phone up and demand to pay less because they're having to put up with offshore call centres.

Maybe those call centres were set-up because it's a way for NTL to recoup some of the losses they make from offering discounts to people who moan about Indian call centres :p:

Carl J
14-02-2007, 23:14

7ms pings, 20Mbit download, 2.3Mbit upload, yeah maybe 'to some extent' it makes cable as VM have it look feeble.

Were they to actually invest a bit and roll out the services that cable is capable of when maintained and invested in properly, such as 30Mbit down 5Mbit up services available in the US or 24Mbit down 8Mbit services in Sweden things would look a little different.

Were they to keep a good quality of service these discounts would perhaps not be necessary. The best way to retain is to ensure that customers are getting the best service their money will buy, which means investing in services and customer service. Why leave or even threaten to leave for an inferior product?

DABhand
15-02-2007, 00:13
Heh, I love the irony in this.... people phone up and demand to pay less because they're having to put up with offshore call centres.

Maybe those call centres were set-up because it's a way for NTL to recoup some of the losses they make from offering discounts to people who moan about Indian call centres :p:

Errr didnt you actually read what was being said.

Do read first and then figure out what is said, before leaping into the fire so to speak.

Yes im not happy with the Indians.

1. They are hard to talk to

2. They havent a clue

3. They dont really do anything for you.

But thats not the reason I asked for a permanent change to my costs. Do please read thanks.

daggman
15-02-2007, 02:41

Well i would not haggle as well if i was offered that.:Yikes:

THis price you pay 32.50 is that for life or a for a few months.

If it is for life of contract, i for one will be rather pished off seeing as that is cheaper than my 4mb and phone, and would show the pricing structure is flawed.

lynx2oo2
15-02-2007, 10:39
Well i would not haggle as well if i was offered that.:Yikes:

THis price you pay 32.50 is that for life or a for a few months.

If it is for life of contract, i for one will be rather pished off seeing as that is cheaper than my 4mb and phone, and would show the pricing structure is flawed.

I made quite sure that the quoted price was for the term of the contract.

Griffin
16-02-2007, 12:41
Not always a case of people phoning up for a discount. I personally have been set up to switch to a bt line & sky broadband twice only to be contacted by ntl at the time with an offer that anyone would be stupid to turn down.

TheOne
16-02-2007, 13:45
I've had constant problems with my silver NTL:home 100 cable modem since upgrading to 10Mb, always crashes when doing anything internet intensive. I've had that modem since NTL started broadband over 6-7years ago (if i remember correctly)

So have just phoned up Virgin Media and explained, and the wonderful lady said an engineer will be out next week to replace it with a new modem and tried to offer me some pretty good permanent offers such as for £51 a month
1- 10mb broadband
2- TV XL
3 - Talk Unlimited phone
4 - mobile tariff of 300mins+300texts (no change here though)

please note i didnt even ask for any type of special offer or a reduction in my bill. She simply said now that were Virgin Media were paying more attention to loyal customers, like yourself ....cant complain :D

squealy
16-02-2007, 14:11
I gave retentions a call as having done some research on alternative providers, NTL weren't matching up well pricewise at all against Sky.

I spoke to a very pleasant and helpful lady.

My earlier NTL retention offers having expired I was paying £66.50 pm (up from £51.50 for the previous 6 months) for

2mb broadband
Family Pack tv (I think this is XL in the new terminology)
Line rental
Talk Weekends
Sky Sports

After the call to VM retentions I ended up on a new package. £52.50pm for the same package plus

Sky Movies

This works out cheaper than the Sky deal for the same package. So I saved £14 a month and gained an extra premium tv package. Now I just need to find the time to watch it all.

Note that I didn't at any stage threaten to leave, just pointed out that what I was paying was not value for money compared to Sky. I was then offered the new package, non-time limited, no contract to sign, no need to ring retentions every few months.

I'm sure people will be on "better" packages than mine, but this one suits me perfectly. I just hope they can get the billing right. :)

Rone
16-02-2007, 14:35
"I just hope they can get the billing right"

Well it has to happen one day, how long have you got? :)

sav112
16-02-2007, 16:29
as its been said if you dont like the prices go elsewhere, you dont haggle for prices with other products and services do you?

Well yes i do! Saved £178 this year on car ins...As my car insurance company i've used for years came back with a crap offer, 30 mins on they magically matched another lower company.

Got £50 of my DVD player by price matching - basically went in and said i can walk out here with it or buy it online for this price.

Got offered Sky 8mb,phone and TV £26 today.... Im only on 2mb with VM and paying £34 with the tv and phone. So if Vm dont match it, its too simple to move.

etccarmageddon
16-02-2007, 17:12
...Got offered Sky 8mb,phone and TV £26 today.... Im only on 2mb with VM and paying £34 with the tv and phone. So if Vm dont match it, its too simple to move.the 'phone' element of that SKY £26 deal is free evening/weekend calls and not BT line rental so add on £10.75 and it comes to £36.75 compared to whatever Virgin product you are thinking of.

and BT are currently offering a deal of free evening/weekend calls which sounds similar to the sky offer.

the important thing about the SKY deal is you are getting broadband for £5 a month (the other £21 gets you the TV with all the mixes). I'd say that SKY deal is indeed excellent value - they're even offering it in some areas where they haven't LLU the local exchange yet so will be making a loss on it.

albert_the_dog
17-02-2007, 10:08
Sorry if this is a bit off topic
I have been with this service provider for many years (since C&W ran the Dump a dish campaign in Stockport) and have no complaints about the service or the way I have been treated. :tu: I can honestly say that in all this time I have had less than 10 issues with the services, and these issues were sorted out in less than 24 hours, apart from when the local thugs :mad: wrecked the green box completly and Stockport Coucil paving contractors severed my supply cable(they thought a roll of sellotape would fix it):D :D . Some problems are beyond the providers control.
I have the phone, broadband L ,TV XL £55. and for the foreseeable future will remain as a loyal customer, may ring VM to see if I can get a loyalty discount, rather like a noclaims bonus but there again should I also expect a loyalty discount from my energy suppliers. ;)

AtD

xathras
18-02-2007, 11:12

8mb Broadband plus anytime calls for £20.00 how nice, but the 8mb broadband is not unlimited, even though advertised as unlimited, the nice little FUP is around 1GB per day, the company offering this also are traffic shaping.

NTL may not be cheap but at least there product is better, i.e. it works more often, they have greater control for upgrades, there network is well above the network supplied by BT, there lines will support much higher speeds for time to come.

Good luck with your 8mb plus free calls £20.00

>DiN<
18-02-2007, 11:18
I Phoned Up! and got 10mb connection for 3 months for half price @ £17.99!

Illuminist
18-02-2007, 13:15
Quite... The words ADSL and Internet do not go together, Xathras.

...Nice one, Din.

jtwonk
26-02-2007, 15:11
just rang VM & got a discount to £24 for L TV L BB & phone for 10yrs. They must be desperate to hang onto customers.