PDA

View Full Version : NTL speeds decreased?

BabesBeerBeaches
14-02-2007, 00:51
Hello,

Am in a student house with 4 other blokes. We pay for broadband as part of our rent and we have had 4 meg for most of the year. We all do download a lot, 4 blokes - lot of music and do a lot of surfing so our useage is very high.

The 4 meg has been great by NTL, not one problem, but recently we have only being getting 2meg. instead of getting 450k download speeds, were getting 225, and we have tested it on several speed testers. Now we havent changed it from 4 meg to 2 meg and were not sure who has. its either :

A) NTL - capping us cause weve been downloading so much recently? I do admit we have been going over the top.

b) Our Landlady. She hates us to bits and we have caused her problems and she has admitted to us that she cant wait for us to leave and we wondering whether she is trying to save money by degrading us to 2Meg.

We think its unlikely to be A but i was wondering if it could be? Otherwise it has to be B. Either way we will ring up and try and get it back on 4meg but its hard to do this when its in the landladys account name and details and we cant get through security.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on why we would of been reduced in speed or what we can do in our situation.

Many thanks

danielf
14-02-2007, 01:09
Hello,

Am in a student house with 4 other blokes. We pay for broadband as part of our rent and we have had 4 meg for most of the year. We all do download a lot, 4 blokes - lot of music and do a lot of surfing so our useage is very high.

The 4 meg has been great by NTL, not one problem, but recently we have only being getting 2meg. instead of getting 450k download speeds, were getting 225, and we have tested it on several speed testers. Now we havent changed it from 4 meg to 2 meg and were not sure who has. its either :

A) NTL - capping us cause weve been downloading so much recently? I do admit we have been going over the top.

b) Our Landlady. She hates us to bits and we have caused her problems and she has admitted to us that she cant wait for us to leave and we wondering whether she is trying to save money by degrading us to 2Meg.

We think its unlikely to be A but i was wondering if it could be? Otherwise it has to be B. Either way we will ring up and try and get it back on 4meg but its hard to do this when its in the landladys account name and details and we cant get through security.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on why we would of been reduced in speed or what we can do in our situation.

Many thanks

:welcome: to the forum BabesBeerBeaches. Have a search on the forum for 'traffic shaping' (or just look at some recent threads). The answer is most likely A. Your landlord has no power over your contract with NTL. P.S. Is your connection speed going down at peak times (evenings only) by any chance?

|Kippa|
14-02-2007, 01:13
You might be in a traffic shaping region. Basically if you download alot, lets say about 2gb ish between the hours of 4pm and 12am your connection speed gets cut in half. For example I have a 10mbit connection and it goes down to 5mbit if downloading alot in that time period. After 12am the connection should go back up to full whack, that is if it is due to traffic shaping and not a connection problem.

Here is a link for the traffic shaping thread on this site

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33606342-traffic-shaping-everything-inc-newsgroups.html

Hope that is some use to you.
:)

XFS03
14-02-2007, 01:31
...Your landlord has no power over your contract with NTL...
It's the landlady that has the contract with ntl, not the students.

If you are using a stand alone modem, you may be able to check your service level by going here:- http://192.168.100.1 (user name & password = root). Click on "operation configuration" & look at "Maximum downstream data rate".

BabesBeerBeaches
14-02-2007, 02:13
Hello,

Thanks for all the welcomes! Looks like a nice helpful board!

As XFS03 said, it is actually the landlady who owns the contract and could of changed it. Just to cut costs and squirm more money out of us.

Well i presumed it was NTL limiting us to begin with because we had downloaded so much between us over a weeks period. With a few of us getting internet spikes and us all not getting as nice connection for a few days. However, the speed is never getting higher than 240k at anytime of the day, its constantly low. If they were limiting us i thought that it would be just at the busy periods like you have stated above.. Did what you said by going to 192.ip and got the following info :

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000

Im guess thats 2meg instead of 4meg? and i guess that i need to phone up NTL and try and pretend im my landladys husband and get them to put it back up to 4 meg or even better 10 meg!

jerryl
14-02-2007, 08:09
yep thats 2 meg, your landlady has changed it

Nikesh
14-02-2007, 10:18
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000

Im guess thats 2meg instead of 4meg? and i guess that i need to phone up NTL and try and pretend im my landladys husband and get them to put it back up to 4 meg or even better 10 meg!

I'm afraid she's downgraded you. :(

I don't think you will be able to ring up pretending to be her husband lol you will need her account details surely...?

Parrot of Doom
14-02-2007, 12:17
What does your contract with the landlady state?

Is the connection part of that contract? Is the type of connection specified?

If shes done it to save money, I suggest you ask NTL what the difference is, and lower your rent payments by the appropriate amount.