PDA

View Full Version : Banning a number - need a quick reply!

kryogenik
13-02-2007, 18:54
Is it possible to have NTL/Virgin ban a particular number?
I only ask for quick reply so that I can get onto CS if so.

Thanks.

Rhyming Obituary
13-02-2007, 19:07
Incoming calls can be barred, although this feature is not typically offered.

However, specific calls cannot be blocked.

What is the specific issue you're experiencing?

Maybe we can help further with more information.

kryogenik
13-02-2007, 19:20
Ah, OK. I must be thinking back to the old days when there was some system in place with BT. Think calls were screened by an operator first etc.
I just wanted to prevent a particular person from calling again, that's all really.
If it's not possible, then that's the end of that. It's not an issue as such - it was rather more a preventative thing than a problem.
I have anonymous call barring active anyway, so at least I'll know who it is if I have any further probs, in which case I'll nip down to the Police shop.
Cheers.

Rhyming Obituary
13-02-2007, 19:22
If you're receiving nuisance calls we would recommend that if you can ascertain who is calling to report it to the police.

The police will then issue you with an incident number, if the problem continues call in to customer services on 150 and they should be able to arrange a free number change for you.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Pete

kryogenik
13-02-2007, 19:35
Thanks Pete - it does help.

Cheers.

info4u
14-02-2007, 00:59
Thanks Pete - it does help.

Cheers.

3 Options are available to you

Annonymous Caller Rejection as a small fee (But will only stop it if they are witholding their no when calling you), Friends and family can still reach you by dialion 1470 infront of your number as it will then cause them to show their number for that call only.

Silent Call Guard and Sensitive Information Bureau
If you call the police you can obtain a crime ref no which enables them to then record the calls without the individuals permission as its then used for legal purposes (preventing a breach in data protection act - audio data)

Change of telephone number
1st Number change = Free
2nd Number = £25.00 (Prices may have changed) but regarless of the situation its charged)

kryogenik
14-02-2007, 01:08
Thanks for the info.
I have anon calling enabled with the *227# (or some such). It's always been free, but if there's a charge incurred in the new VM system I don't mind. It keeps the cold callers at bay.

A change of number does seem a good option for me, however, should the problem arise.

Thanks again - I appreciate the post and info.

AndyCambs
14-02-2007, 08:57
I presume that Virgin Media still have a Malicious Calls Bureau as in Telewest/NTL days?
http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/telephone/phonesecurity/unwantedcalls.html

Malicious Calls

It may be a criminal offence, under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act 1984, to make a malicious call. If you receive a call containing any of the following, then it's a malicious call:

Obscene suggestions
Personal threats
Abusive languageRemember, if you think you are receiving malicious calls, contact our Sensitive Information Bureau on 0800 953 3333.