PDA

View Full Version : Changeover from STB to Modem

castlekeep
13-02-2007, 13:28
Hi,

I have ordered and received an installation date to take the VIP package.

In my current setup I have a samsung STB which my broadband goes through.
My PC is attached to a linksys router which has a MAC address cloned on it from my first PC that I used when I first went onto NTL broadband - some five years ago.

I beleive that the installation guys will remove my STB and replace the broadband element with a stand alone modem.

Would the easiest way be to connect my current PC directly to the Modem and in which case will I need to do some form of registering on the modem ?
Once I have the connection working to then put the router back in the line with the current PC's MAC address cloned on it. ?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Phil.

Nikesh
13-02-2007, 13:31
Once you have your SACM you won't need to clone your MAC address. Just simply plug the PC > Router > SACM. :)

castlekeep
13-02-2007, 13:44
Once you have your SACM you won't need to clone your MAC address. Just simply plug the PC > Router > SACM. :)

Hi Nikesh
Thanks very much for the fast reply.

Do I need to go through any registering for the SACM ?

Thanks

Phil.

Nikesh
13-02-2007, 13:46
No, the engineer will register and activate your SACM.

You can just sit back and watch them do the work. ;)

castlekeep
13-02-2007, 13:49

Thanks again, Nikesh.

Hopefully it will be a painless day then.

Phil.

NTLVictim
13-02-2007, 14:33

They flamin' didn't do that with mine...:(

Nikesh
13-02-2007, 14:33
They flamin' didn't do that with mine...:(

What did you have to do?

Marge
13-02-2007, 14:35
As a rule the engineer only installs the Cable Modem, the customer then completes the registration process themselves unless they have paid extra for a managed install which is not available in all areas.

Nikesh
13-02-2007, 14:37
As a rule the engineer only installs the Cable Modem, the customer then completes the registration process themselves unless they have paid extra for a managed install which is not available in all areas.

Really? I don't remember paying more, but then again my modem was installed quite a while ago now (Terayon TJ210).

NTLVictim
13-02-2007, 15:52
The bloke turned up, laid some cable behind the desk (freshly vacuumed, I've laid cat5 etc.under desks, so I know what it's like), plugged the cable into the modem, put the modem down in the space I'd cleared next to the router, plugged the power into the new empty powerstrip I'd placed on the floor for the purpose, gave me the software, said "give it half an hour then run it, and use that number "(pointing to a scrawled row of digits on the yellow form).

He then left, taking the redundant stb with him..I may have mentioned that on another thread.

It didn't work.....many phone calls later, it did. To this day, I really can't be sure what our account number is now, it changed when we went from stb to sacm.

MovedGoalPosts
13-02-2007, 15:56
To use broadband over the STB, the ntl servers registered the mac address of the connected computer (or router). Hence why some cloned mac addys from a PC to other PCs or routers to keep things simpler when they had odd connection issues.

The Cable modem doesn't register the mac addresses of the connected device, so you won't need to go in for any cloning. There is an account setup procedure, that either the installer (if managed) or the customer does as a one off.

castlekeep
13-02-2007, 19:01
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
I have found my original Thank you letter back from 2002.
It shows my PID, Cust Number, Password and Serial Number.
This was for a STB

Am I right in thinking that the PID will not be of use when I set up the SACM and the serial number will be different ?
I read on this forum that the installtion engineer should supply the PID and Serial Number, is this what happens ?

Thanks again for your time.

Phil.