PDA

View Full Version : NTL 250 Broadband Cable Modem

gjtaylor82
12-02-2007, 17:33
How do you change the MAC address? When first installed, my son connected his laptop directly to the modem using the RG45 cable. Everything worked and he was very happy .... apart from the CD that NTL supplied that didn't work when trying to configure it originally ... but according to the engineer, 60% of users have the same problem!!

Anyway, now we want to connect a wireless router to the cable modem so he can get wireless connection in different parts of his flat.

Try as we might, the Safecom modem just would not get it's IP address dynamically from the NTL box. Everything was set as it should ... but the status contined to show 0.0.0.0 in the IP address. So I cloned the mac address into the Safecom and bingo! It got the right ip address.

But this means that the dynamic addressing on the router doesn't work on his laptop ... because the router now thinks that there are two machines with the same mac address. We got around it by hard-coding the IP and DNS addresses in his laptop.

There must be a simpler way??? How can I get the Safecom routers MAC address in the NTL cable modem?

homealone
12-02-2007, 18:27
you can't change the MAC in the modem.

Not sure why the router isn't picking up the IP - it should be setup as 'DHCP server enable' & 'obtain an IP address automatically' by default - my (wired) safecom worked straight out of the box.

gjtaylor82
14-02-2007, 12:40
That's exactly how mine is set. My only thought was that somewhere the laptop MAC address is hardcoded into the cable modem and on the Safecom.cn forum it suggests in a number of places that you still have to clone the mac address to get it to work. And as I discovered, this is true, but it is limiting.

Guess it works OK so I'll worry about it if it becomes an issue in the future.