PDA

View Full Version : toe nails

lostandconfused
11-02-2007, 23:19
not sure if theres any medical people about, or if anyone has got/had this?

i have a problem with my toe nails, firstly they are of a yellowish colour, and very thick, does anyone know of any ways to get rid of this?

i think it could be genetic as my uncle has it, so does my mum and now my little brother has it. been to the GP and he took of his socks and showed me his feet which were just nasty and said if he couldnt fix his own what did i think he could do about mine!:Yikes:

my mum has been to a choropodist and they removed the nails, but they just came back like before if not worse. i think it could be spreading, as it started on my little toes and seems to be moving across to the others, any help would be greatly appreciated

Ramrod
11-02-2007, 23:25
Fungal infection? See another chiropodist and get a diagnosis....

lostandconfused
11-02-2007, 23:28
thanks for the quick reply, i suppose i should really, just means using up a days holiday:( was after a quick fix if there are any!

Pia
12-02-2007, 02:48
been to the GP and he took of his socks and showed me his feet which were just nasty and said if he couldnt fix his own what did i think he could do about mine!http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/smilies/yikes.gif
:erm: Nice:erm::disturbd:

skyblueheroes
12-02-2007, 08:20
thanks for the quick reply, i suppose i should really, just means using up a days holiday:( was after a quick fix if there are any!

No chance of making it early or later in the day to save a days holiday ?

DES_1001
12-02-2007, 09:01
Sounds like a Fungal infection, which can be cured by a cream applied direct to the toe or by a course of antibiotics.See a doctor again and this time don't go away without something being done!

littld
12-02-2007, 09:41
Lots of chiropodists work evenings and some even visit your home for appointments. If you don't make the time to do this (and you should) then at least visit your pharmacist.

If it is a fungal nail infection, you will need a treatment cream. You apply this every day for 6-12 months to completely clear it. In serious cases, they remove the nail first.

Delta Whiskey
12-02-2007, 11:19
I have the same problem, the chiropodists told me it's almost impossible to completely get rid of this sort of fungal infection. It's harmless just not very pretty to look at.

DW

lostandconfused
12-02-2007, 12:47
thanks everyone for your replies, got an appointment at the doc week saturday, didnt know they did saturdays!

Dante
12-02-2007, 14:08
My misses is a Chiropodist/podiatrist, and if i remember correctly she tells people to use tea-tree oil. It does stain at first, but in the long run sorts the problem out better than expensive creams etc.

Enuff
12-02-2007, 17:04
http://www.indiaabundance.com/productimages/Vicks%20vaporab_l.JPG
It worked for me... :tu:

I read in a Doctor's column in my local newspaper that Vicks VapoRub would get rid of Fungus nails. I had a fungus in my big toe for years. I started putting Vicks on it twice a day and then covering with a white sock. It took many months, but finally as the nail grew out the fungus disappeared. It worked for me and a lot of other people according to the doctor's column. He admits he doesn't know why it works, but has received many letters from his readers.

Ramrod
12-02-2007, 17:08
was after a quick fix if there are any!In my (considerable) experience in these matters, there are very few quick fixes......but people keep looking for them :disturbd: :D

Alien
13-02-2007, 12:04
My misses is a Chiropodist/podiatrist, and if i remember correctly she tells people to use tea-tree oil. It does stain at first, but in the long run sorts the problem out better than expensive creams etc.
You beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same thing. :) I'd also add that you don't want to get some cheapo brand, or 1 that's diluted [e.g. the 1 The Body Shop sells]. Best 1 to go for is the Thursday Plantation (http://www.thursdayplantation.com/cmsv1/index.php) brand. The bottle comes in a bright yellow box, so it's pretty easy to spot on the shelf. Holland & Barratt do it, Boots used to [haven't tried in there in ages, so don't know if they still do it], & Tesco used to do it - maybe they still do in some stores, just not my local one anymore. Or you could buy it online (http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=%22THURSDAY+PLANTATION+tea+tree+oil%22&btnG=Search&show=dd&scoring=p).

Apparently they do make a diluted 1 as well, so I've attached a pic of the 1 you should look out for.