PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Meltdown ?

JohnAlexander
11-02-2007, 18:23
After buying a new router, fiddling with settings and generally cursing the internet in every possible way, I find these forums. Specifically, I see Ignitions sticky post regarding Cable Modem Signal Levels, http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.htmlwith the relevant website to test my modem http://root:root@192.168.100.1/ .

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.2 dB

I believe thsi data is related to my seriously unacceptable situation, especially the last two details....Ignition ? Are these figures within the acceptable ranges for the Huddersfield area?

I am very aware that our 4mb connection, shared by 3 people through a Netgear WGT624v3 is not working properly, when I play World Of Warcraft with an absurd latency. My house mates also notice considerably woeful speeds when checking email/browsing the web.
Dynamic IP's supplied via DHCP, router isn't improperly configured, the software is fine...so i can only assume the modem is FUBAR.
Can someone please give me something to say to NTL when i call them, so I don't sound like a moron? I don't really understand the above data, but if i relate the numbers to Ignitions sticky post, I feel I may be in trouble.
Please excuse the tone of this post.

homealone
11-02-2007, 18:42
:welcome:

those figures for downstream receive & SNR are within spec for QAM256 - what is your upstream transmit power?

Unfortunately 'Ignition' no longer posts on these forums..

JohnAlexander
12-02-2007, 00:22
Hi, thanks for the welcome. This is what i get when i select Upstream:
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 22000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

I have to say it's not a continually poor service, but the times it gets bad, it's terrible, and I don't think it could be attributed to "peak usage" times.

I would love to understand the tech better, as I was most frustrated attempting to configure various software, which, as I've stated, I've left at all default (recommended) settings.

TIA.

DABhand
12-02-2007, 00:29
think yourself lucky my power level for upstream is 56 :\

JohnAlexander
12-02-2007, 00:39
Oh, ok....I will. No idea why, but I hope you get it fixed...:)

Druchii
12-02-2007, 00:44
In other words, your modem is having to shout to be heard at the UBR... And even then sometimes it's not ;)

DABhand
12-02-2007, 01:35
Oh I seen the magic WoW words being mentioned, Hi im a 70 mage, bored mage at that lol

JohnAlexander
12-02-2007, 03:17
In other words, your modem is having to shout to be heard at the UBR... And even then sometimes it's not ;)

So, do you know of a way to rectify this? Pump up the volume? It's just the standard modem my housemate got with the 4mb package...i'm not very clued in as to it's workings, just know the reset procedure...

DABhand
12-02-2007, 03:59
If you can change the channel id to 4.

And reboot the modem. Hopefully you should have a nice upstream of below 50, if your lucky :P

Paul K
12-02-2007, 06:13
And if you are unlucky Virginmedia will figure out you have fiddled with your modem settings and you will have serious problems.
If you have service level issues then call support, do not mess with the modem settings as it's against the Ts and Cs. Ask them to test your signal levels and explain the problem to them, 9/10 times they will resolve the issue but if they fail then you can always come back and ask for further help.

DABhand
12-02-2007, 12:28
Not true since its their techs that are telling people to do so.