PDA

View Full Version : Venus flytrap sales ??

zing_deleted
11-02-2007, 11:30
Anyone know of an online retailer for these? Ive tried growing a few from seed with no luck idealy id like to buy a few :) TIA

Halcyon
11-02-2007, 11:39
You could try these places:

http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17167&cat=0&page=

http://www.easycarnivores.co.uk/site/index.php

murfitUK
11-02-2007, 11:39
http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/

greencreeper
11-02-2007, 11:48
Fly problem, zingle? You should never have buried them under the house :no:

It puts the lotion in the basket...

Delta Whiskey
11-02-2007, 11:48
Just remember not to feed it BabyBio, it took me ages to work out why the traps didn't grow (it was getting all it needed from the Bio so didn't grow the traps).

DW

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-02-2007, 11:53
Anyone know of an online retailer for these? Ive tried growing a few from seed with no luck idealy id like to buy a few :) TIA

could try washing ;)

zing_deleted
11-02-2007, 11:54
Fly problem, zingle? You should never have buried them under the house :no:

nah my daughter got a seed kit for xmas and its just not worked so cuz she is disappointed softie zing thought he would buy her some ;)

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

You could try these places:

http://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=17167&cat=0&page=

http://www.easycarnivores.co.uk/site/index.php

N1 ordered 3 different varients from easycarnivores

pedantic
11-02-2007, 11:55

:rofl:

greencreeper
11-02-2007, 12:02
nah my daughter got a seed kit for xmas and its just not worked so cuz she is disappointed softie zing thought he would buy her some ;)
Well at least she's learnt that not everything in life turns out quite as you expect or hope it to be :) A good lesson.

[edit] Just been having a read. Are you suppose to buy food for them? I can't imagine that there'll be sufficient flies to keep it fed - unless you left a window open?

zing_deleted
11-02-2007, 12:17
oh I dont know it does say dont feed them so its a let nature take its toll. There are always bugs flying around in the better weather half of what you dont bother about if the plant attracts them then sorted. I got one of them lamp things that zapp bugs placed in the kitchen and that kills a good few of the blighters

Mr_love_monkey
11-02-2007, 12:23
you could try popping down to homebase or B&Q - I got my last fully grown one from homebase - they had some pitcher plants as well...

zing_deleted
11-02-2007, 12:31
you could try popping down to homebase or B&Q - I got my last fully grown one from homebase - they had some pitcher plants as well...

going somewhere to look involves doing something then when you do it you can find they have none so you have done something for nothing ;) :D

Taf
11-02-2007, 12:32
Yup, I got mine from Homebase too.... 4 years old now. It appears the trick is to use ONLY rainwater, and to keep them in bright light and damp at all times. Once you see more than about 9 traps, you have more than one plant, but I've not yet succeeded in seperating them successfully.

Mr_love_monkey
11-02-2007, 12:32
going somewhere to look involves doing something then when you do it you can find they have none so you have done something for nothing ;) :D

What a cheery disposition you have :)

zing_deleted
11-02-2007, 12:35
Yup, I got mine from Homebase too.... 4 years old now. It appears the trick is to use ONLY rainwater, and to keep them in bright light and damp at all times. Once you see more than about 9 traps, you have more than one plant, but I've not yet succeeded in seperating them successfully.

Can you mix the plants? ive ordered 3 different types and idealy would like them all in one bigger pot (obviously once they are ready to repot)

greencreeper
11-02-2007, 16:40
When it says, "Don't feed", zingle, does it not mean a liquid feed, as oppose to flies? So you don't feed yours, taf?

I've put my jade plant in the kitchen - I think it's a bit upset by the recent move, but seems alright. The rubber plant is in the living room - also stressed (lost a large leaf) but otherwise fine. I just need something for the bathroom and the study. Low-maintenance. The last venture into tropical plants ended in death - for the plant. A meat-eater might be just the thing - hence my interest in the feeding. I've seen Little Shop of Horrors.

Taf
11-02-2007, 16:58
No feed at all for carnivourous plants... even the small ammount of phosphates, etc, in tap water will kill 'em stone dead... and don't pick off dead leaves, let nature take it's course and they'll rot away and feed the plant.

If you want several in an arrangement, I would suggest leaving them in their original pots and hiding the gaps with something low in nutrients such as spagnum moss (which will also hold the water they love from their boggy origins).

I'm sure there are dedicated carni growers out there on the web with better advice though....

You'll be happy one day when they flower....

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

I gave up on all but one indoor plant as we have central heating and no southerly-aspect windows.. and a grazing cat ......

AdamD
11-02-2007, 17:30
I've allways wondered if those things can eat bees, hornets or wasps
Don't mind normal flies, just hate the stinging varieties, heh

Taf
11-02-2007, 18:14
I know they can munch spiders....

greencreeper
11-02-2007, 22:39
What's wrong with central heating? <glances nervously at the radiators>

Bottled water would be better than tap water? I wonder about woodlice - have a lot of those to spare.

swoop101
11-02-2007, 22:49
My son got his from wyvale's garden centre, keeps growing flowers that go halfway up the window.

greencreeper
11-02-2007, 23:32
I've been reading extensively on fly traps. Fussy things. Special soil. Special water - bottled is no good. And lots of water. Oh and lots of light. And they need about a 3 month winter somewhere cool. Feeding is optional but they'll eat pretty much anything that is a 1/3 of the trap size, with little or no exoskeleton - so woodlice are no good. Flowers can be removed before they form, to conserve the plant's energy.

I'm thinking the bathroom would be ideal - not too warm, light, occasionally humid. And I can move the plant to the spare bedroom when it wants a winter - the room is unheated but well lit. Water is a little tricky but I can try rain water, or buy distilled. Methinks I'll invest come pay day :)

banjo
11-02-2007, 23:50
I have had about 4 of these plants and every one died, they are very hard to grow in my experiance or perhaps it's me ?

zing_deleted
13-02-2007, 11:52
Plants arrived this morning in good packaging and good order :) very impressed with the turn around so thanks again Halcyon

TheDaddy
13-02-2007, 19:56
I have had about 4 of these plants and every one died, they are very hard to grow in my experiance or perhaps it's me ?

My son had one, it gorged itself on flies for a few weeks and then went and ate itself :Yikes:, what a crazy plant

fireman328
13-02-2007, 20:14
My son got his from wyvale's garden centre, keeps growing flowers that go halfway up the window.

Thats a Triffid !

greencreeper
13-02-2007, 23:20
Is it dead yet, Zingle?

:D

Halcyon
14-02-2007, 09:54
Good luck with your new plants :tu:

zing_deleted
14-02-2007, 14:13
Is it dead yet, Zingle?

:D

no fine ;)

Taf
14-02-2007, 14:59
Best of luck!

Central heating is the biggest killer of indoor plants after the major one.... overwatering...