PDA

View Full Version : 1 Mb Wireless Broadband via STB

Ian L
10-02-2007, 22:00
I use the the above facility as it meets my requirements for general web browsing with my laptop and avoids the need for additional cables and kit cluttering up the lounge.

However, I wonder if Virgin Media plan to withdraw the facility because they are making no effort to promote it - it is not even mentioned on their web site.

SnoopZ
10-02-2007, 22:05
:welcome: to Cable Forum.

You can't get 1mbit broadband anymore as it's been upgraded to 2mbit for free, unless you still use it via a PACE STB. You should really phone up and get a SACM(stand alone cable modem) installed and get yourself a router (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0587540873.117114183 6@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgcaddkdleggfecflgceggdhhmdgml.0&category_oid=-28361&sku=250537&page=Product&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1) so you can use wireless broadband and get the internet speed you pay for.

Ian L
10-02-2007, 22:32
Yes, thanks for your reply - I may have to do as you suggest - the TV and associated connection box are at the opposite end of the lounge to where the cable enters the house from outside - if I have a cable modem will this have to be connected by a cable stretching the length of the lounge?

Paul K
10-02-2007, 22:37
If you get a wireless router then the router can sit where the cable enters the house (if it's out of the way and has the necessary power supply) and the PC can be at the other end of the lounge as long as your lounge isn't huuuuuuuuge ;)