PDA

View Full Version : Modem Overheating

nicke261192
10-02-2007, 13:23
Had this Motorola modem about a year and a half now and never had any problems but i have recently noticed that it has been overheating. It has very good ventalation and is stood up by itself next to my tv. do you think i should call Virgin or shall i not worry?

DarkGashX
10-02-2007, 15:42
Call virgin, they should give you a new modem.

SnoopZ
10-02-2007, 15:45
Yes, get a nice new modem. :)

nicke261192
10-02-2007, 18:00
ok dokie will do

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

They want to charge us 75 pound for a man too come out with a new one! no way

DarkGashX
10-02-2007, 18:58
You are kidding right? Tell them the modem keeps turning itself off if they want to charge you speak to the manager. Its a fault and they should fix it.

Halcyon
11-02-2007, 10:22
Tell them it is a fire risk and that you will send them the bill if your house was to catch fire.....Might make them think again.

Slyder
11-02-2007, 11:26
ok dokie will do

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

They want to charge us 75 pound for a man too come out with a new one! no way

Ring up again and speak to a different rep

Different rep usually = different response. ;)

Failing this, tell them your modem suffered a horrible accident and unplug it before they do there scipted tests. They should fix it then for free as it becomes there problem.

Paul K
11-02-2007, 11:29
If it's just getting hot then it won't be replaced unless it is over heating and then tripping out/ locking up or showing some form of fault. Calling Virgin and saying "Hello, my box gets hot so I would like a new one" will just end in them telling you that you have to pay for an engineer call out. Tell them it keeps locking up or turns itself off and you will get a replacement.
Is it actually showing a fault though or are you trying to cut global warming down by asking for one that runs cooler?....... or is this just a way of getting a nice shiny new one? ;)

RUSTY
11-02-2007, 11:54
pinch a small ally tray from the wifes cooking equipment around twice the size of the modem, place two pencils under the tray for air gap, stand modem on top & you will have a nice heat sink.if you like the idea go to your nearest sheet metal worker get him to chop some scrap ally around 14" long with a
6" depth and fold a 2" upstand for the rear.spray it black fit some stick on feet about 10mm in height. stand your modem & external hard drive on it end of heat probs.