PDA

View Full Version : Car Tax

Matthew
08-02-2007, 21:39
I sold my car today and the V5 went in as well. The tax is up for renewal at the end of the month and I got a letter today to apply for new tax or SORN it. Problem is that my mate who I sold it to needs to be able to re tax it at the end of the month but it says the form can take 6 weeks to come through once the V5 has been sent off.

Is there anyway to tax the car without this form, its a V11.

orangebird
08-02-2007, 21:47
I sold my car today and the V5 went in as well. The tax is up for renewal at the end of the month and I got a letter today to apply for new tax or SORN it. Problem is that my mate who I sold it to needs to be able to re tax it at the end of the month but it says the form can take 6 weeks to come through once the V5 has been sent off.

Is there anyway to tax the car without this form, its a V11.

If your friend had the section of the V5 that you should have given her when you sold it, there shouldn't be a problem, as long as the car is MOT'd and insured.

Matthew
08-02-2007, 21:48
Cheers for that I will let her know.

Vlad_Dracul
09-02-2007, 19:18
You can now tax the car on line as long as it is insured and has a new style VOSA mot.

AndyCambs
09-02-2007, 19:53
Presumably you sent your section of the V5 in to say that you had sold or otherwise disposed of the car and who to, in which case you're not responsible for taxing it.

Matthew
09-02-2007, 21:12
Yeah I have sent it in. Does the new owner not need the letter or a similar one to tax it then?

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-02-2007, 21:21
How to tax your vehicle if you do not have any documentation

If you have just bought the vehicle and do not have a V5, V5C, V5/2 or V5C/2, you cannot tax your vehicle until you have a registration certificate (V5C) in your name. You can apply for a registration certificate using form V62 (fee applicable). DVLA aim to deliver the registration certificate within six weeks. When you receive your new registration certificate, you can then tax your vehicle

From here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_4022117