PDA

View Full Version : Help with a phone number

Central
08-02-2007, 19:12
Twice now in a row I have been called by this number 01603 764 442 and when answered it have been met with silence.

When I ring it back it just fobs me off saying we will call you back and the company name. It sounds like Insight call centre or Insite Call centre. Its Located in Norwich.

Can anyone help me locate the office or a number I can tell them to stop ringing me as I cant see anything. Also I am TPS registered so would this be classed as against the rules of TPS?

Cheers

NitroNutter
08-02-2007, 19:35
Notify your provider and complain to ofcom. These companies ring batches of numbers and those that respond in the right way get entered into a database which is then put up for sale.

punky
08-02-2007, 19:39
Moved to lifestyle forum

awibble
08-02-2007, 20:07
Operators in call centers also call 5 number and speak to the first one that answers, this way they always get connected to a person rather than a number just ringing.

Shaun
08-02-2007, 21:01
Operators in call centers also call 5 number and speak to the first one that answers, this way they always get connected to a person rather than a number just ringing.

The basic idea but not as simple as this - the company should manage the pots so it doesn't happen like this.

There's new guidelines from Ofcom over it but generally the systems are managed by incompetent people who don't have enough training in how to deal with the daily peaks and troughs that occur and that's when you get silent calls - either that or the company do it deliberately as they have no respect for the people they're calling. Either way they're only annoying potential customers.

NitroNutter
09-02-2007, 10:11
At the end of the day this should be outlawed, it can have far more serious consequences than spam into an email box, and all these cold calling tele-sales firms or number collators are doing is spamming phone numbers. The serious implectaions of this become far more apparent when you consider a personal phone line is tied up when someone is calling in, this could affect all kinds of domestic alarm systems from burglar alarms to pensioner homes dialling a relative. If Ofcom was a responsible organisation run by responsible people they would have lobbied parliament to make phone line spam an additional illegal act with severe criminal penalties, that is the only way its going to be stopped, fining the likes of car phone warehouse a few grand does nothing to stop them or make others think perhaps its not a good idea, the board of car phone warehouse should be in clink for a good 6 months for setting up and allowing such a system to be used, this would make others think twice aswell.

awibble
09-02-2007, 13:26
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

I registed and ratrely get calls now, when i do i ask for their name, company name, phone number, and address. after writing it down i tell them if they call again that i will not hesitate to contact a solisitor as they are breaking government legislation.....

Never had the same company call back yet.

NitroNutter
10-02-2007, 13:22
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

I registed and ratrely get calls now, when i do i ask for their name, company name, phone number, and address. after writing it down i tell them if they call again that i will not hesitate to contact a solisitor as they are breaking government legislation.....

Never had the same company call back yet.
Thats a simple government get out to permit something that should not be permitted, why becasue its down to money, if it was the other way and people had to opt in for phone spam there would be very little legal tele sales and that would mount to descreased turnover, tele sales job losses etc. When it comes down to the fact that one persons gainful employment is more important even though it can and may well endanger other persons lives or livelihood it shows how outragous society truly is.

The current laws governing such things is ridiclous, the choice should be up to the end user to opt in allways, the opt out version should only be there for those very rare occasions when it may be needed, however its not and the government and government bodies permit its abused usage. Many companies disregard any numbers opted out.

The law should read:

Under Government legislation introduced on 1st May 1999 and replaced on 11th December 2003 by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have not indicated that they want to receive such calls.

Funny how spam email law is different, yet phone spam is no real difference and carries significantly more risk to the individual.

bexta76
24-04-2007, 20:22
I have been constantly called by 01603 764 442 and never knew what to do, i tried ignoring it but then that just wound me up even more than when i did answer it. I have now registered with TPs and Ofcom so hopefully the phone calls will stop. Sales calls are annoying but with this number there is no one there at all. Very Strange!!!!

nffc
24-04-2007, 23:33
If no-one answers the call when you answer it, how do you know the call is against the TPS?