PDA

View Full Version : Problems in SK9 area

Acathla
08-02-2007, 17:59
Chaps,

Anyone aware of problems in the SK9 area?
I am on 10mb and not had a problem for a long long time.

I can only seem to download at a consistent speed of around 600KB/s (approx 5Mb/s)

Seems either a serious issue or a cockup NTL's end - checking to see if anyone else is affected before I ring them. My config is all OK on my CM so I haven't been 'downgraded' by accident or anything.

TIA.

EDIT:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/02/135.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
http://www.mcgirr.co.uk/images/Clip.jpg
http://www.mcgirr.co.uk/images/Clip_2.jpg

I should also mention I am trying to transfer large files over SSL port 443 (as I do every night) and this hopefully is a one off!

Acathla
08-02-2007, 22:37
if anyone is interested, all seems to be back to normal :phew: ;)

Acathla
09-02-2007, 20:14
Sorry for posting again, but seems I am having exactly the same problems as yesterday again today.

Reading the rest of the site and the talks about bandwidth throttling, this got me thinking...but why oh why would NTL ever consider throttling port 443?

Anyway, would be nice if someone in the same area can confirm or deny that they are having speed issues or not?

Must be someone in SK9! or SKanything

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

lol i am well confused - back to normal now :)

I suggest:

Open Control Panel Console
Type: /ignore Acathla
Go Bed.

;)

scrotnig
09-02-2007, 20:19
No you're not alone.

I upgraded to 10mb yesterday, and so far I've had the same problem as you at roughly the same times. I'm in South Manchester but come under Stockport with ntl.

Acathla
14-02-2007, 23:56
Wanted to bump this and just update you all with my findings.
Well it seems that I am being affected by some sort of traffic shaping as witnessed over the last few days.

On hitting a 2Gb download for the day, my speed drops to exactly half of my 10meg bandwidth. I am currently unsure how long this lasts for but it does seem to be the remainder of the day.

I am currently putting together more evidence and will be presenting this direct to NTL in the form of a complaint. I understand that some sort of traffic shaping is required for the sanity of the network but as previously mentioned, it is important that the files I am transferring (over encrypted SSL port) are transferred quickly and safely. I am not downloading illegal material, nor am I connecting to (or have ever connected to) P2P file sharing networks.

This shows that I am being restricted on all network transfers and not simply what NTL 'deem to be network impacting activity' (generally thought to be P2P). This is not traffic shaping, this is traffic restriction.

I am not ranting here but wanted to close my thread with the outcome in case anyone was watching with interest.

For reference sake, I am in Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 area.

I bid you a good night.

Bill C
15-02-2007, 07:13
Wanted to bump this and just update you all with my findings.
Well it seems that I am being affected by some sort of traffic shaping as witnessed over the last few days.

On hitting a 2Gb download for the day, my speed drops to exactly half of my 10meg bandwidth. I am currently unsure how long this lasts for but it does seem to be the remainder of the day.

I am currently putting together more evidence and will be presenting this direct to NTL in the form of a complaint. I understand that some sort of traffic shaping is required for the sanity of the network but as previously mentioned, it is important that the files I am transferring (over encrypted SSL port) are transferred quickly and safely. I am not downloading illegal material, nor am I connecting to (or have ever connected to) P2P file sharing networks.

This shows that I am being restricted on all network transfers and not simply what NTL 'deem to be network impacting activity' (generally thought to be P2P). This is not traffic shaping, this is traffic restriction.

I am not ranting here but wanted to close my thread with the outcome in case anyone was watching with interest.

For reference sake, I am in Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 area.

I bid you a good night.

From what i have been told its 4.00pm till Midnight.

Acathla
15-02-2007, 09:16
I have read that too Bill but certainly last night it lasted until at least 1am when I went to bed.

It's hard to know for sure as I have no idea the easiest (or indeed best) way to monitor my max speed over the day.

Trying to work out some definitive figures and I'll also speak to NTL to try and get some figures from them. Will report back if I find/hear anything.