PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media - Too good to be true?

awibble
08-02-2007, 17:56
So about 2 weeks ago i ordered telewest, Moving into a house that can only get 512kbps broadband from BT, and i work from home so need better than that.

Went to telewest and ordered XL broadband, TV and Phone which came to £69 a month for the first 12 months, then it was to go up again.

Saw some comments on the VIP package on here last night, and deicded for £16 a month ive got to get me that.

Called them up and its all confirmed, on Satuarday they will be at the new house to install everything, which now includes from the orginal package, a V+HD box, Skysports and Movies, Talk mobile, Talk internatinal and the fact i will have 2 boxes, ive worked it out to about a £60 saving if i got it all without any offers.

It all sounds too good to be true, so i will wait and see.

On another note the guys at one of the telewest call centers sound happy, said that today is a lot more relaxed that they expected, choc filled craqusents this morning, baloons and a Brad pit look a like! sounds like they are having fun at the call centers.

Only really have 2 questions, if someone could help out.

Will the HD box work with HDMI, component (YCbCr) or both?
Is there any Gotyas that i should be prepared for?

Stephen
08-02-2007, 18:25
The V+ will work with both but Virgin Media only officially support HDMI as that is the cable the tech will bring.

The new package is a great offer and there are no catches.

Our office was the same, along with a massive Virgin Media cake :)

Cobbydaler
08-02-2007, 18:32
....and a Brad pit look a like!

What? No Uma Thurman look-a-likes? ;)

SnoopZ
08-02-2007, 19:14
Are there any pack deals that include either:-

1. 10mbit broadband + basic landline
2. 10mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

or

1. 4mbit broadband + basic landline
2. 4mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

as these aren't listed on the the Virginmedia site and i don't want to downgrade to 2mbit to get a 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 deal.

johnforpeel
08-02-2007, 19:29
Signed up with telewest in January & my first bill in Febuary which was £57.00over the top.Contacted them & was informed that they could do nothing at the present time and was requested to ring back in March and they would try to sort it out

awibble
08-02-2007, 19:36
The V+ will work with both but Virgin Media only officially support HDMI as that is the cable the tech will bring.

Will the tech mind if theres already a cable in the wall? (dont like nasty cables and already put both in the wall).

Dont suppose you know if the tech will use the component if i ask do you? want to save the HDMI for the PS3

Our office was the same, along with a massive Virgin Media cake :)

So how do we get some cake?

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Signed up with telewest in January & my first bill in Febuary which was £57.00over the top.Contacted them & was informed that they could do nothing at the present time and was requested to ring back in March and they would try to sort it out

Could that be because the first bill is actually 2 months minus the setup fee or something like that? CS tried to explain it to me.

King Of Fools
08-02-2007, 19:37
Are there any pack deals that include either:-

1. 10mbit broadband + TV
2. 10mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

or

1. 4mbit broadband + TV
2. 4mbit broadband + TV + basic landline

as these aren't listed on the the Virginmedia site and i don't want to downgrade to 2mbit to get a 2 for £20 or 3 for £30 deal.
You can upgrade the broadband in the bundles for the difference in cost (i.e. L is £7 extra, XL is £10 extra on top of L).

SnoopZ
08-02-2007, 19:44
You can upgrade the broadband in the bundles for the difference in cost (i.e. L is £7 extra, XL is £10 extra on top of L).

So i'm currently paying for

10mbit broadband at £35
Phone line at £11

Total £46

So what will i save if anything as i'm still confused? :)

richie
08-02-2007, 20:35
Dont suppose you know if the tech will use the component if i ask do you? want to save the HDMI for the PS3

Virgin will only offer support with the HDMI, you can ask but he's not supposed to use any other cable

JG3870
08-02-2007, 20:36
Only really have 2 questions, if someone could help out.

Will the HD box work with HDMI, component (YCbCr) or both?
Is there any Gotyas that i should be prepared for?

The V+ HD box supports both HDMI & Component

awibble
08-02-2007, 20:40
Just relized, a lot of the people on this forum seem to be staff.... Dont suppose the Slough installer is on here :P

Hugh
08-02-2007, 20:59

It's called pro-rating, as you pay for the packages a month in advance, and for calls and ppv in arrears. So you would be paying for January and February's Telephone Line Rental, Broadband, and TV.

If you joined 4th January 2007, and you received your first bill early February 2007, you would have two months charges, in the format below -

Telephone Line Rental - 4th January - 3rd February amount
Fully Itemised Billing (if appropriate) amount
Telephone Line Rental - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Fully Itemised Billing (if appropriate) amount
TV Size XL - 4th January - 3rd February amount
TV Size XL - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Broadband Size L - 4st January - 31st January amount
Broadband Size L - 4th February - 3rd March amount
Call Charges - 1st January - 31st January amount

Your Call charges should be on another sheet, with the total on the front page of your bill.

Hope this helps.

King Of Fools
08-02-2007, 21:05
So i'm currently paying for

10mbit broadband at £35
Phone line at £11

Total £46

So what will i save if anything as i'm still confused? :)
You could get that for £20 plus £17 = £37 per month.

SnoopZ
08-02-2007, 21:07
You could get that for £20 plus £17 = £37 per month.

Sounds good, just hope i don't have to grovel if i phone up. :)