PDA

View Full Version : Hellish Upgrade

pdjkeelan
08-02-2007, 14:59
I thought going from 4Mb to 10Mb would be a piece of cake, unfortunately... it seems not :(

I phoned them up on Monday asking to go from 4Mb to 10Mb they said they'd send a self-install pack for a SACM as the Set top box couldn't handle 10Mb (Samsung STB).

When the pack arrived i quickly installed it, it involved putting a splitter from the main NTL lead and then the signal is split between the TV and Cable Modem, i then just moved the ethernet cable over to the SACM from the STB. Pretty easy and all the cabling was perfect.

So i move onto the next part, phoning the Quickstart Line, after a few minutes wait i got onto a guy that sounded asleep and incredibly bored, he tried to activate my modem and stuff but said it couldn't receive the signal, and he told me to phone broadband technical support (5p/minute).

So i did this and got through to a decent guy who told me to check lights on the modem, unplug, plug back in, remove filters that "could" be interfereing etc. (Power - steady, enet - steady, sync - steady, ready - blinking). For 20 seconds the modem came onto ready but in that time he'd already instructed me to move to my computer so i couldn't see the modem as that is downstairs near the TV.

When i got upstairs he then gave me the PIN number that NTL had forgot to give me and then ended the call as at that time we thought everything was fine.

So, when i notice the ready light is yet again blinking i phone technical support, yet again. This time a young woman answers and due to her accent was very difficult to understand. Even though in the first minute i alerted her to the ready light flashing she went on about my firewall etc even though i told her several times it's switched off and that it was not my PC that was having problems. She was obviously reading all of this from a sheet. Then when i said yet again about the ready light she checked my current postcode status where they said problems were occuring and should be fixed shortly... so i agree i'll wait and see if it comes on.

It did come on steady after several hours. So i go online, register the modem and all is working fine at least it seemed that way... i went to several speed checkers and checked modem config... i was on 2Mb! By this time ntl tech support would have closed so i planned to phone them today.

At about 12 midnight i started to get extremely intermittent service which often required restarting the connection completely. I gave up at 3am when even restarting the modem failed to get my connection back and thought it might be fixed today.

The connection is not fixed today and have phoned ntl (virgin media today ofc), and he took me through the steps unplugging and plugging back in then he said he'd send out a engineer on Monday, i asked about why the modem had registered at 2Mb instead of 10Mb and all he could say was "you're on 4Mb" because I couldn't understand him due to his accent fully i gave up on trying to tell him i'm meant to be on 10Mb and have decided to phone customer service after the engineer has been on Monday.

It's very dissapointing service to want to pay a extra £10 for a service that isn't working and to have some of the technical support people reading from sheets rather than having some knowledge of what's going on. Only one of the people i spoke to seemed knowledgeable and was easy to speak to, the other 3 were either half asleep or had accents which were extremely hard to understand :(. A 3:1 ratio on bad:good support people is awful.

Mick Fisher
08-02-2007, 21:42
Although in the most part extremely polite and sympathetic, the outsourced BB "Technical Support" are neither very "Technical" or "Supportive" and realistically are only any good for reporting a fault and booking an engineer to call. :(

Unfortunately caller's expectations are initially high and this results in a high degree of disappointment which can, unfortunately, quickly turn to resentment of the "Support" Service and the Company that appointed them. :td:

None of this is any help to you I'm afraid, but rest assured your frustration with the outsourced BB "Technical Support" Service we are all saddled with is shared by many users and probably the Engineers that they likely send on many wild goose chases.

Hope you get sorted soon. :)