PDA

View Full Version : Immediate problems when upgraded to 10 mb..

mike_m
08-02-2007, 14:08
Hello all,

My first post (and first problem with NTL BB in 3 years), I'm not tech illiterate, but I'm no network admin, and know nothing of ports etc. so be gentle wink.gif :
After a few years of running a wireless network just fine (modem >3com gateway>PC> then couple of laptops wireless). good connection, but I'm downloading a lot of torrents nowadays, so I thought I'd upgrade.

I upgraded to 10Mb Broadband from 4Mb the day before yesterday, and immediately experienced problems : One minute it would be fine and giving excellent speed test results, the next it ran like a dog and slowed to 56k modem speeds before cutting out, requiring me to reset the wireless router and modem. THis happened regardless of Using Bitcomet or not (torrents are the main reason I upgraded!), and probably required a reset every 10 minutes or so, sometimes every 2 minutes! evil.gif . Same thing happened on laptops via wireless.

I whittled it down to a problem with the wireless Router (3com OfficeConnect 11g) as when that's taken out of the equasion, and with the modem connected directly to my ethernet card, it gives consistent speeds in the range of 8500kbs to 9600kbs download and 450kbs upload.

All is hunky dory then. But as soon as I open Bitcomet, and start downloading torrents, within 5 seconds of them starting to download, the modem disconnects. It doesn't give me the 'network cable has been disconnected' error, the connection is just gone. Again a reset is all I can do, and then it only works if I exit bitcomet.
Extra inf:

* my modem is an old silver NTL:home 100
* based in cambridge
* PC XP SP2

So I guess it's a 2 part question:

1. Should I get a new wireless router, if so what do you guys recommend? Or is it just settings that neeed changing?

2. Is the bitcomet problem a hardware or software problem you think? Should I talk to NTL tech support? I would imagine they won't be very sympathetic if I told them it only happens when I try and download torrents, and they probably won't support issues with a wireless gateway...

Sorry for the long post, and cheers people.

Mike

Mick Fisher
09-02-2007, 00:41
The Ambit 100 modem has a history of misbehaving in the way you describe when it is used with the 10meg service.

IMO getting this changed for a 250 should be the first thing to try.

mike_m
09-02-2007, 10:14
cheers will try and get them to change it. Fingers crossed.