PDA

View Full Version : Escalation -Help Needed

house91
07-02-2007, 22:49
Hi, first post on here so i hope its in the right place and someone can help.

I have TV and Phone through NTL and decided to get broadband for the extra £9.50 a month. To cut a very very long story short, the modem was installed by an engineer, when we followed the steps the ethernet cable wasnt working with the modem/laptop. "tech support" said that it was an error with the laptop and after assuring the lady it wasnt we eventually managed to get an internet connection via the usb cable. Anyway, when connected to the internet you can gain access to a homepage (for example bbc.co.uk) but when you try to navigate to a link on the site or a different page, the window crashes. Therefore making browsing impossible.

We phoned back and the next person then said there was a fault (which im unsure whether to believe him or not) but an engineer is now coming on saturday.

My question is "is there actually a fault or has the tech guys just fobbed me off" has anyone any advice?

I have written a very long email today regarding the nightmare which ntl broadband has been but every director/high person's email seems to be coming back with a delivery failure. Can anyone pm an email address which i can use? Any help greatly appreciated as im furious at the moment. :mad:

Thanks

Nikesh
07-02-2007, 23:00
:welcome: to the forum! Sorry to hear about the problems.

Hopefully a member of the cable forum team can help you.

MovedGoalPosts
07-02-2007, 23:11
If faults have decided an engineer visit is needed then that is what should take place in the first instance. It does sound as though something unusual has happened if your not getting a reilable connection via USB or ethernet/.

Of course you do need to ensure your laptop settings aren't a problem. Are your antivirus and similar stuff current, and are you fully patched?

Tech_Boy
07-02-2007, 23:20
When you say that the window crashes, do you mean that explorer shuts down, or that you get a page cannot be displayed message?

house91
07-02-2007, 23:23
the laptop has never had internet access but there is nothing that should stop the connection. Is it a case of waiting for the engineer? no other tips to try before then?

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

When you say that the window crashes, do you mean that explorer shuts down, or that you get a page cannot be displayed message?

The internet explorer window just fails to load the page you click. Then if you click your mouse anywhere the logo changes in the top right of internet explorer and a box appears saying close. The standard box for when something crashes.

MovedGoalPosts
07-02-2007, 23:32
I'd be very wary that something isn't configured right in the laptop's settings, either on the browser (internet explorer), the network dirvers, or indeed just some odd corruption. Are you in a position to consider a reformat and reinstall of the laptop?

Is the laptop new / old? What specification is it?

Tech_Boy
07-02-2007, 23:35
Ok, well the problem with explorer crashing, is going to be a windows problem, that would have nothing to do with the connection "directly".

It could be that the pc is having trouble coping with the connection via USB, that depends on the spec of the laptop, if it is an older, lower spec machine this could well be the case.

I would get your ethernet card checked out on the laptop, as it is by far the best way of connecting, and if it is ok, then an engineer would be needed to check/replace the modem or ethernet cable.

I hope that this helps.

(I'll be changing my sig at midnight:D)

house91
07-02-2007, 23:37
The laptop is only 9 months old. Running windows XP. When the technician comes out on Sat will he check this? The thing which i cant understand is surely the connection must be wrong as it only loads up the homepage and the crashes. This must have something to do with the connection?

MovedGoalPosts
07-02-2007, 23:43
Nope there can be lots of things wrong with the computer that could cause stoppages. Indeed my home computer will often just freeze (time out) when browsing to some sites, yet I can still get to other sites. Only a computer reboot solves that. I know it's not my connection as other computers on my home network can still get to the site. This is just an example to show that the computer can be the source of the issue just as much as the connection could be the problem.

You've had the laptop for 9 months. It's never been online, not even on dial up? What have you done with it, loaded software? Could that have introduced corruptions? Can you check to see you have the current drivers (software) for your motherboard, internet card and the like?

house91
07-02-2007, 23:46
The laptop is my gf and she has never had the internet before, the only thing she used it for was word etc. Nothing has been installed on it which could corrupt it. The laptop is a dell inspiron 630m.

It isnt just certain sites, its any internet site. Thanks for the help by the way....

Tech_Boy
07-02-2007, 23:46
The connection itself would not cause IE to crash, if the connection was a problem, Ie would just give a Page cannot be displayed message, as the connection dropped..

Have you tried Firefox?:rolleyes:

house91
07-02-2007, 23:50
The connection itself would not cause IE to crash, if the connection was a problem, Ie would just give a Page cannot be displayed message, as the connection dropped..

Have you tried Firefox?:rolleyes:

Thought of that, but i cant get to the webpage to download it :mad: . Any suggestions?

Tech_Boy
07-02-2007, 23:56
this link should just start downloading
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-2.0.0.1&os=win&lang=en-GB

MovedGoalPosts
08-02-2007, 00:02
I must admit to being a tad confused as to how you are posting. Are you using a different PC over a dial up connection or even from a different address?

house91
08-02-2007, 17:46
Thanks for the link but the problem is that we wouldnt even be able to get this far to download firefox......

I am using my home pc (my gf lives separate) and i use AOL with no issues what so ever.Hope this makes sense.