PDA

View Full Version : ntl are throttling my internet speeds wtf

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:14
hi all :)

im on 2 meg bb and have only been with ntl since 2 weeks ago i moved from aol since they moved to cpw but last couple of night my speeds are getting cut in half and its ****ing me off to say the least wtf is it with isp s these days we pay for 2 meg bb thats written in the contract so why in the hell dont we get these speeds ?
the speed i keep getting at nioght time is about 912 kbp/s :( should be 2 meg bb i though ntl wasnt supposed to cap speeds?
or is this something to do with them goons at virgin taking over from ntl?
please help and tell me if any1 else is having this problem aswell .

thx :)

Locky
07-02-2007, 23:16
my usenet is being throttled to 5 meg (600 kb/s) other than that i am fine, i aint so much complaining about bein throttled as 50 gig a day will still satisfy me :D

Zee
07-02-2007, 23:18
Nothing has been reported to suggest 2Mbps is being throttled in anyway.
10Mbps is, but only in a few areas, my area isn't being throttled.
Perhaps it's just a UBR problem

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:19
but i moved to ntl because i heard they dont throttle speeds can some1 tell me if this is true plz?

does ntl throttle bb speeds?

p.s heres proof of the speeds im getting just done a speed test :(
im aledgedly on 2 meg bb the fxxxing mupets arggghhhhhhhhh .

lostandconfused
07-02-2007, 23:20
have you called ntl to ask?

Locky
07-02-2007, 23:21
post modem config ? tht speed looks liek 1 meg..

zing_deleted
07-02-2007, 23:21
that does not prove anything it just means that site has a load. Try a multi threaded download manager and please dont add to the throttle hysteria that is already in place and misplaced. Unless as mentioned your just on 1 meg and need to call ntl

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:28
that does not prove anything it just means that site has a load. Try a multi threaded download manager and please dont add to the throttle hysteria that is already in place and misplaced. Unless as mentioned your just on 1 meg and need to call ntl

hi

wel when i had ntl installed 2 weeks ago i got the offer that was online which was 2 meg bb for 10 pounds per month thats why i went for it so i should be gettinmg 2 meg not 1 meg :(

lostandconfused
07-02-2007, 23:32
you pay for a 2mb connection not a 2mb download speed, as mentioned your download speed can vary depending on who your downloading from, have you tried any other sites?

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:33
have you called ntl to ask?

ill have to ring them back tommorrow now as there open till 8pm only :(
plus i even noticed as all the forms were being sent to me from ntl that there was no mention on the forms of the 2 meg bb im getting :(
i hope they dont try and say that im on 1 meg as ive signed the 12 month contract :(

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

you pay for a 2mb connection not a 2mb download speed, as mentioned your download speed can vary depending on who your downloading from, have you tried any other sites?

hi m8

yeah ill try some others now and post the screenies to prove it :)

Zee
07-02-2007, 23:35
It looks like you're on 1Mbps.

Someone have the link so they can check their config so we can find out what service they're actually on

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:39

Someone have the link so they can check their config so we can find out what service they're actually on

i though ntl only have the 2 meg 4 meg and 10 meg broadband packages??

i cant find no decent speed test sites except for the 1 i posted can some1 link me to some sites please then ill do the tests?

thx :)

plus yesterday i was downloading the supreme commander demo at 240 kps so thisd proves im on 2meg and they must be throttling in someway or there could be a fault ?
maybe something with virgin taking over?

Nikesh
07-02-2007, 23:50

http://192.168.100.1

or

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:53
http://192.168.100.1

or

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck

cheers m8 on the 2nd link it said this
You are currently subscribed to the Broadband Size: M.
what does this mean?

Nikesh
07-02-2007, 23:53
Broadband M: 2Mb
Broadband L: 4Mb
Broadband XL: 10Mb

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:55
Broadband M: 2Mb
Broadband L: 4Mb
Broadband XL: 10Mb

cheers again m8 :)

so this prtoves my connection is being throttled ?

Nikesh
07-02-2007, 23:57
Well, I don't think it's being throttled, it could just be your area is over subscribed or theres a problem with the network...

ginge51
07-02-2007, 23:59
seems ok now since i went to that link

heres a screenie might of just been a fault that been on my line for a few datys thx for the input every1 ill post again if it happens again cheers ppl :)

Nikesh
08-02-2007, 00:01
Cool, glad I could help. :)

Greebox
08-02-2007, 14:19
Just a small point I noticed, the original Screen dump posted shows the test to London with the recommended server in Dublin.

The latest Screen Dump is to Dublin.

My recommended Server is London, but when I tried the test to the Dublin server the speed was roughly halved, maybe the problem is the international routing ?

videodj
08-02-2007, 16:07
Why does everyone assume slow speeds are due to throttling!!!

Majority of the time, it's either a fault or an oversubribed area during peak times!!

The guy who posted this thread has been an NTL customer for 2 weeks, so hardly gives any knowledge of NTL to start slagging them off and whining like a little girl!!

Also all broadband packages are advertised as upto ...

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

ginge51
08-02-2007, 18:26
Why does everyone assume slow speeds are due to throttling!!!

Majority of the time, it's either a fault or an oversubribed area during peak times!!

The guy who posted this thread has been an NTL customer for 2 weeks, so hardly gives any knowledge of NTL to start slagging them off and whining like a little girl!!

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

Mod Edit - Derek S: No insulting of other members of the site
i pay for the service so i excpect the service to be delivered ok.

i got the offer which was if i signed up b4 jan the 31st i can get 2 meg bb for 10 pounds per month

videodj
08-02-2007, 19:46
Mod Edit - Derek S: No insulting of other members of the site
i pay for the service so i excpect the service to be delivered ok.

i got the offer which was if i signed up b4 jan the 31st i can get 2 meg bb for 10 pounds per month

There could be any number of reasons for slow speeds, firewalls, overloaded server on speed test, you need to look at all possibilties before making assumptions about the service provided.

Ranting, raving and swearing will not help nor will insulting me.

AndyIggs83
08-02-2007, 20:09
As posted, speeds are being throttled! as soon as you download 2Gb it cuts the speed in half, leave it for 2 hours then its back to full speed and will halve again after 2GB!

Hugh
08-02-2007, 21:38
To quote Mr Spock - "It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ;)
:Sprint: :dig:

Bill C
08-02-2007, 22:08
To quote Mr Spock - "It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." ;)
:Sprint: :dig:

Indeed i don't see any problem with slowing down the leeches at peak time. I never download from the newsgroups or p2p in peak hours. I admit to being a very heavy user at other times. Now let me join you in digging that hole :) :dig:

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

As posted, speeds are being throttled! as soon as you download 2Gb it cuts the speed in half, leave it for 2 hours then its back to full speed and will halve again after 2GB!

Correct ;)

ginge51
08-02-2007, 22:55
just done another test as my spped is slow and heres the screenie for proof
i come to ntl thinking this wasnt happening.we pay for a 2 meg connection yet we get a 1 meg connection i blame virgin since theyve merged as it wasnt happening when ntl was just ntl :(
time to find another isp me thinks :)

Originally Posted by AndyIggs83 View Post
Correct

i noticed that aswell but mine happened when i was trying to download a 1 gig demo about halfway the speed was cut in half :(

looks like this merger is bad news for us all :(