PDA

View Full Version : Convert BT wiring to work with Cable

secretkila
04-02-2007, 23:17
hi ya
i have a a bt phone socket in most rooms but then moved across to cable and only got one socket which is next to one of my bt sockets so i was wondering if i cud connect up the bt sockets around the house from the one cable phone socket i have
( i hope this can be dun)

any help wud be great:)

Jonessy
05-02-2007, 00:28
UM actually no, I would imagine the old BT Master Socket is still connected to the telegraph pole even though the line has been disconnected from the exchange and the line is dead because you are now with NTL. I would also imagine the BT line you originally had was connected all around the house...? If this is the case you need to speak to BT to get this removed, there is no charge for removing the cable from the telegraph pole to your premises. The cable does belong to BT although you are allowing their cable to be connected to your property therefore, you can a constitutional right to request to have their equipment remove from your property without charge. I know this is right because I actually done this in September of last year and I eventually spoke to customer relations an and spoke with them and they arrange for an engineer to come out and remove the cable from my property. Don’t just call 0800 800 150 because they are useless, you need to speak to customer relations to get this removed. I gave BT 24hrs to remove the cable from my property they were there the next day removing it.

Once this has been done just install a Secondary Socket and connect a link cable from Master Socket to the Secondary Socket to the rest of the line in the house.

MovedGoalPosts
05-02-2007, 00:36
You cannot interfere with the incoming BT phone line at it's connection to the BT master socket. Similarly you cannot interfere with the cable phone socket external connections.

However the wiring on the customer side of the master socket, to your extensions, is yours to do as you wish. There is nothing to stop you disconnecting the extension wires as they connect to the master socket - they should be on a separate connectors if they are hard wired - which then allows you to reconnect to your cable phone master socket as an extension.

Jonessy
05-02-2007, 00:42
You cannot interfere with the incoming BT phone line at it's connection to the BT master socket. Similarly you cannot interfere with the cable phone socket external connections.

However the wiring on the customer side of the master socket, to your extensions, is yours to do as you wish. There is nothing to stop you disconnecting the extension wires as they connect to the master socket - they should be on a separate connectors if they are hard wired - which then allows you to reconnect to your cable phone master socket as an extension.

That's what I said, I might have worded it different.

King Of Fools
05-02-2007, 10:57
If your NTL master socket is next to the BT master socket then it will be a very simple job to remove the extension wire from the BT master socket and reconnect it to the NTL master socket. All your extensions will then work on the NTL line.

secretkila
05-02-2007, 21:58
well i have disconected the main incoming bt wire then i tried to loop the wires from the cable socket into the bt socket but this did not seem to work

handyman
05-02-2007, 22:24
Possibly wired diff to the extensions. If you keep this thread bumped there are a few ntl techs on here that will help out.

I would have thought that the ntl installer would have done this work for you at the time of install.

Nedkelly
05-02-2007, 23:17
:) What should happen is the installer should put the ntl socket next to the bt master .When you had the install the tech should of asked you if you had telephone exts then he would find the master socket as this is normally where the exts are fed from.Then the tech should transfer the exts from the bt socket to the ntl socket .The only socket left on a bt line should be the master this is incase you decide to go back to bt you have a line ready to go The wiring code is as follows Blue cable with white stipe 2 orange cable with white stripe 3 white cable with blue stripe 5 hope this helps

greencreeper
05-02-2007, 23:45
Well - small world. I have the inverse setup - old C&W connections, and I'm with BT. Various sockets dotted around the house and chopped-off lengths of cables and DIY extensions. I can join the gaps though - just need to keep the same colour wires together, otherwise weird things happen :) The master socket you can touch. There are two screws on the front - these can be undone. There are two screws inside - these cannot be undone. This would be bad. When you remove the first set of screws, the front unplugs and inside is a connector for the extensions. It sounds like you need to move the wires from the BT socket to the NTL socket.

PS1
12-02-2007, 11:52
If your NTL master socket is next to the BT master socket then it will be a very simple job to remove the extension wire from the BT master socket and reconnect it to the NTL master socket. All your extensions will then work on the NTL line.

yeah,providing it will reach:mad: (sods law says it wont)
otherwise you will have to jumper back the otherway.:tu:

Barefoot singer
25-02-2007, 09:19
I have an NTL master socket just installed in my new house which is in a completely different room to the BT master socket in the hall way. From this BT master socket runs cable which leads to all other extension sockets upstairs. Can't I just run an extension lead from my NTL master to the BT master to make the phone sockets work upstairs?

King Of Fools
25-02-2007, 09:22
I have an NTL master socket just installed in my new house which is in a completely different room to the BT master socket in the hall way. From this BT master socket runs cable which leads to all other extension sockets upstairs. Can't I just run an extension lead from my NTL master to the BT master to make the phone sockets work upstairs?
As long as you disconnect the extension from the BT master socket and splice the new extension to the old one, yes.

jamiefrost
25-02-2007, 09:33
i think you would have to disconnect the incomming bt cable from the bt master socket.

I have the same arrangement and my upstairs socket works fine. I think mine is wired directly between the two boxes no extension cable

JJ