PDA

View Full Version : Driving...

LSainsbury
04-02-2007, 19:21
Right - she (the GF) is gonna kill me when she sees this thread!

Can you give me some examples of why it's not good to do the following whilst driving:

1 Crossing hands on the wheel
2 Hands not at 10 to 2
3 Resting hand on gearstick

I think the following:

1 - It's dangerous in the even of an accident - airbag deploys and you smack yourself in the face

2 - Less control if your hands are at 5 to 1

3 - Other time can damage the forks of the gears

Opinions please!

MovedGoalPosts
04-02-2007, 19:28
1) It's the idea that one hand has to be taken off the wheel whilst you are manoeuvring. That means you are potentially in less control than the preferred push pull method. That certainly has been the traditional concept since before air bags. Air bags can make things worse.

2) A 10 to 2 or even quarter to 3 posture is preferred. You're better placed for the push pull wheel turning method. Plus for most people your arms won't be obstructing the dash board dials. You're also going to have a better driving position, not being hunched over the wheel

3) Yes there has been the wear issue, suggested by some manufacturers. But primarily, if you don't drive as much as possible with both hands on the wheel you have less control over the car.

SnoopZ
04-02-2007, 19:31
I do all 3 of those often and i think i'm a safe driver. It's people that don't wear seat belts that **** me off.

homealone
04-02-2007, 19:31
I like the answer to 1, but as airbags weren't around when the 'crossing hands' would make you fail your driving test, I don't think it was the original reason. I think it was more likely that, especially with older cars, they needed the wheel to be turned further than crossed hands could achieve to turn a sharp corner, hence you'd have to reposition your hands on the wheel, which is potentially dangerous.

2 - yes, agree, it is about being able to exert required leverage, but stay relaxed & comfortable.

3 - yup, afaik it wears the selector mechanism.

Chicken
04-02-2007, 20:15
re 1), older cars without power steering - there was a much higher chance of them snatching the steering wheel back if you hit a bump; so keeping one hand holding was necessary.

LSainsbury
04-02-2007, 20:26
I do all 3 of those often and i think i'm a safe driver. It's people that don't wear seat belts that **** me off.

People who smoke and flick the end out of the window annoys the **** out of me....I mean why create litter on the road when you have an ashtray in the car...!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

SnoopZ
04-02-2007, 20:48
Women that put makeup on and men shaving at the wheel............. :Yikes:

Derek
05-02-2007, 11:40
1 Crossing hands on the wheel

In an accident your wrists can be very easily broken if they are crossed over the wheel at time of impact.

Graham M
05-02-2007, 11:45
10 to 2 is a horrible position imo (ooo :)) I prefer quarter to 3 if I must have both hands on the wheel. I rarely cross my hands, for instance when I need to turn sharply in a car park or whatever I might and as for resting your hands on the gearstick, yes it can cause damage to the forks apparently

videodj
05-02-2007, 14:06

Why??

I don't wear a seatbelt very often, a habit picked up from my time in the motor trade!

It's up to me if I wear one, why does it bother you.

I know people that have survived crashes only by not wearing it. It's personal choice.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

What annoys me most is peoples who's washer jets miss their windscreen and hit my car instead, usually just after I've washed and polished it, or got the roof down!!

Derek
05-02-2007, 14:08
I know people that have survived crashes only by not wearing it.

And I'll bet there are a hell of a lot more of people who have survived crashes by wearing one.

It's personal choice.

Well unless you are pregnant or have another medical reason then it isn't. It's the law you have to wear one while driving.

LSainsbury
05-02-2007, 14:26
Well unless you are pregnant or have another medical reason then it isn't. It's the law you have to wear one while driving.

:dozey: Ditto that.

I think there are some exceptions for Milkmen - sorry Milk delivery personel... :D

Derek
05-02-2007, 14:31
:dozey: Ditto that.

I think there are some exceptions for Milkmen - sorry Milk delivery personel... :D

Yep. Exceptions are:

Holders of medical certificates (i.e. Pregnant women)
Persons using vehicles adapted or intended for local deliveries or collections
Drivers performing a manouver such as reversing
A person conducting a driving test, where wearing a seatbelt would endanger life :confused:
A person driving or riding a vehicle used for police/fire brigade use
Drivers of licenced taxis while it is being used as such
A person riding a vehicle using a trade licence to investigate or remedy a mechanical fault
The car isn't iftted with seatbelts :dunce:

videodj
05-02-2007, 14:43
And I'll bet there are a hell of a lot more of people who have survived crashes by wearing one.

quite possibly, but I was pointing out that they can also kill too. It has also been known for airbags to cause deaths too, no safety feature is 100% safe, just reduces the risks.

It may well be the Law, but how many other laws are broken every day in this country that go un-notice? Police rarely seem bothered these days, if your not speeding, or using a mobile.

Surely if I do/don't wear one it's only me that's at risk, therefore my choice.

Can you honestly tell me you've never broken the law in one way or another?

I don't shave or read whilst driving, or delve in my glovebox for a CD, so not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make me a bad driver.

Derek
05-02-2007, 14:57
Surely if I do/don't wear one it's only me that's at risk, therefore my choice.
so not wearing a seatbelt doesn't make me a bad driver.

It's only you at risk. It does make you quite unpopular with the emergency services when they have to scrape your body off the road or wall you've ended up in after going through the windscreen.

Maybe wearing a seatbelt doesn't make you a bad driver. It DOES make it more likely you would be killed or injured in any road accident, even if you are the best driver in the world someone can run into you.

And if you are in the rear of a vehicle you can cause horrific injuries to the passengers in the front seat

bmxbandit
05-02-2007, 15:54
Slight tangent, but vaguely related question:

Is there any good reason why you shouldn't freewheel in a car (i.e. leave it out of gear when going down a gentle hill). I think some automatics do this, but i mean in a manual...

The driving instructors / people who ought to know who I've asked, all assert that you have less control of the car, but none have ever been able to elaborate as to how or why this is so. Any ideas?

ZrByte
05-02-2007, 16:08
Slight tangent, but vaguely related question:

Is there any good reason why you shouldn't freewheel in a car (i.e. leave it out of gear when going down a gentle hill). I think some automatics do this, but i mean in a manual...

The driving instructors / people who ought to know who I've asked, all assert that you have less control of the car, but none have ever been able to elaborate as to how or why this is so. Any ideas?

I think its due to the fact that your car will accelerate without any intervention by you. The only way to stop this is to use the breaks wich will in turn cause more wear. Wheras if you have the car in gear you can maintain your speed much easier.

bmxbandit
05-02-2007, 16:28
But surely, if you're trying to accelerate anyway, this is no bad thing? I'd imagine the energy dissipated by engine braking is negligible compared to that dissipated by the brakes anyway...

Graham M
05-02-2007, 16:30
If you freewheel, you lose the engine braking so it will open up at top speed, whereas if you leave it in 3rd for instance going down a steep hill it'll only go at the most that the car will tick over at in that gear as the gears are still connected to the engine.

MovedGoalPosts
05-02-2007, 17:32
They used to refer to an engine's power in terms of BHP - Brake Horse Power - I beleive. There is no doubt that if in a manaul car (autos do behave differently), you keep to a low gear on a long steep hill, the engine will reduce the rate of acceleration of the car so you only need occasional rather than continued use of the brakes.

Mr_love_monkey
05-02-2007, 18:06
Women that put makeup on and men shaving at the wheel............. :Yikes:

yeah last time I was driving, seeing someone do that scared me so much I dropped my coffee and my bacon sandwich in my lap

Hugh
05-02-2007, 18:09
yeah last time I was driving, seeing someone do that scared me so much I dropped my coffee and my bacon sandwich in my lap
Didn''t they make a mess on the paper you were reading?

Mr_love_monkey
05-02-2007, 21:20
Didn''t they make a mess on the paper you were reading?

No, but it did ruin my game of half life...

homealone
05-02-2007, 21:39
But surely, if you're trying to accelerate anyway, this is no bad thing? I'd imagine the energy dissipated by engine braking is negligible compared to that dissipated by the brakes anyway...

Engine braking will work with no brakes, but freewheeling then finding the brakes don't work, isn't good - I'm sure my dads old Auto Union/DKW had a freewheel device, which I seem to remember him telling me was 'illegal' ????