PDA

View Full Version : Should the cable from the road be in conduit?

rikur
04-02-2007, 16:34
Just been sweeping up the front drive.

Along the edge of the drive I have found the main ntl brown cable pair from the pavement to the house. This is simply running lose along the drive, pushed slightly under the hedge.

At my last house the engineer installed the cable in 1 inch green conduit, but here it is simply lose. Near the house it looks like the squirrels have had a quick chew of it, albeit not gone right through it.

Is this right? Should the cable be in conduit? If so, would ntl come out and fit it?

Graham M
04-02-2007, 17:16
It ought to be in Conduit, I would call that an unfinished installation so would personally phone NTL and complain

jrhnewark
04-02-2007, 20:16
I'd give them a call and tell them - I'd do it now, before you're without service for days when something does eventually take a liking to the taste of coax.

Chris
04-02-2007, 20:33
AFAIK it does not have to be in conduit, but it should certainly be more than a spade's depth beneath the ground - or do you have no earth at all?

rikur
04-02-2007, 21:58
AFAIK it does not have to be in conduit, but it should certainly be more than a spade's depth beneath the ground - or do you have no earth at all?

not buried at all (except by the odd leaf or two!)

Chris
04-02-2007, 23:51
not buried at all (except by the odd leaf or two!)

Definitely not right. Call 'em!