PDA

View Full Version : superbowl XLI

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2007, 18:01
Chicago Bears VS Indianapolis Colts AT Miami Gardens, Florida :)

Iv'e got a feeling the bears will win it :)

Graham M
03-02-2007, 18:07
Hang on isn't Superbowl a yank thing?

Shadow Demon UK
03-02-2007, 18:09
Colts are gonna win! :D

ethan_hunt202
03-02-2007, 18:33
Colts for me too...i'd put money on Vinitieri scoring the first points from a field goal

sir_drinks_alot
03-02-2007, 18:35
Hang on isn't Superbowl a yank thing?

:rolleyes:

Paul K
03-02-2007, 18:47
Not if Mayor Ken has a say ;)

Graham M
03-02-2007, 19:44
Not if Mayor Ken has a say ;)

Well it has to be said, it's more interesting than Cricket

Stuart
03-02-2007, 19:51
Well it has to be said, it's more interesting than Cricket

Watching paint dry is more interesting than cricket.

Delta Whiskey
03-02-2007, 19:56
I've really tried to get into American Football and Baseball but I still find cricket far more interesting (must be my age).

DW

gazzae
03-02-2007, 21:33
I want the Bears to win so bad. I can't stand Manning and the Colts.

I pray for Vinatieri to miss a last minute field goal, rip off his Colts jersey to show a Patriots one underneath and cementing his legend status in NE. ;)

TheNorm
03-02-2007, 21:54
I'm roaring for the Bears, too.

sir_drinks_alot
04-02-2007, 12:08
Got a superbowl party tonight :D the one yank who's comeing is from Minnesota :erm: anyone els haveing a superbowl party tonight ?

Lew
04-02-2007, 14:05
No, but I do have tomorrow booked off work and have a load of Asda's own-brand Red Bull clone in the fridge. :D

sir_drinks_alot
04-02-2007, 14:08
Just as long as there's no overtime i should be fine lol

lauzjp
04-02-2007, 14:12
I want colts to win, this could be the only chance peyton has to get a superbowl ring?

Maggy
04-02-2007, 18:27
So exactly when will the superbowl be played here?:erm:

gazzae
04-02-2007, 18:33
So exactly when will the superbowl be played here?:erm:

Kick off is at 6:25pm ET so thats 11:25pm here.

verticalforce
04-02-2007, 21:45
I had never watched superbowl or any kind of whet-they-called football before.

And i'm pretty interested in this one. Before I can go and watch this, can anyone explain to me the rules succinctly as they can cos I've read about it on wikipedia and I still don't understand how the game works..

Lol...

homealone
04-02-2007, 22:15
I had never watched superbowl or any kind of whet-they-called football before.

And i'm pretty interested in this one. Before I can go and watch this, can anyone explain to me the rules succinctly as they can cos I've read about it on wikipedia and I still don't understand how the game works..

Lol...

it is about gaining territory, our closest equivalent is rugby league, the game line has to be advanced until a 'touch down' occurs when the ball is taken into the 'end zone' by the attacking team.

- kicked points are available, too.

- the main difference to rugby is that the ball can be passed forwards, which can generate some interesting strategy to protect the man due to receive the ball, because if he fails, the game line does not advance ;)

gazzae
04-02-2007, 22:20
Very basically the aim of the game is to move the ball into the end zone. You can do this by running or passing. You have 4 attempts - these are known as downs - to move the ball 10 yards if you move the ball 10 yards then you get a new set of downs. If you do not move the ball 10 yards in these 4 downs then the opponents get the ball. Because of this most teams depending on the situation will kick - punt - the ball away on 4th down.
Think Rugby League but with a forward pass

Shadow Demon UK
04-02-2007, 22:23
our closest equivalent is rugby league

Think Rugby League but with a forward pass

How is it similar to Rugby League, i fail to see the similarities :shrug:

gazzae
04-02-2007, 22:25

Similar in that you have a certain number of attempts to move the ball so far.

TheNorm
04-02-2007, 22:31

From Wiki:

The aim is to score points by carrying an oval ball ... up the field towards the opposing team's in-goal where the ball is grounded to score a try (worth four points). This is to be done by the attacking team within a "set" of 6 tackles allowed before the ball must be handed over to the opposition. The opposing team attempts to prevent the attacking team from carrying out this objective by tackling the player with the ball. After scoring a try the scoring team then has the right to attempt to kick a goal (worth a further two points if successful). The kick may be taken from any point on an imaginary line parallel with the touch-line and through the point where the try was scored. The team with the most points at the end of two 40-minute halves wins.

Odd-shaped ball, six attempts instead of four, tackling the player with the ball, extra points after a try... sounds pretty similar to me!

verticalforce
04-02-2007, 22:32
Ah, sounds interesting...

Weird that the sport hasn't caught onto the rest of the world?

Shadow Demon UK
04-02-2007, 22:35
Odd-shaped ball, six attempts instead of four, tackling the player with the ball, extra points after a try... sounds pretty similar to me!

I suppose your right, it's just watching the two games they seem totally different, probably because of all the stoppages in NFL whereas Rugby League is much quicker and probably less tactical.

TheNorm
04-02-2007, 22:38
Ah, sounds interesting...

Weird that the sport hasn't caught onto the rest of the world?

Soccer is very popular because all you need (basically) is a bit of space and a ball. To play full-contact American football, you require two teams kitted out with protective sports equipment. This makes it a relatively expensive sport for amateurs.

gazzae
04-02-2007, 22:39
If you have Sky Sports then in the interactive section they have a rules of the game option which explains most of the basic ones.

verticalforce
04-02-2007, 22:40
Soccer is very popular because all you need (basically) is a bit of space and a ball. To play full-contact American football, you require two teams kitted out with protective sports equipment. This makes it a relatively expensive sport for amateurs.

I guess that's true. I haven't seen anyone playing ice-hockey on the street. Yet.

Shadow Demon UK
04-02-2007, 22:47
This should help you understand the rules - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/3192002.stm

TheNorm
04-02-2007, 22:52
I suppose your right, it's just watching the two games they seem totally different, probably because of all the stoppages in NFL whereas Rugby League is much quicker and probably less tactical.

The stoppages are called "commercial breaks", and give fans a chance to spend money on beer and ogle the cheerleaders. Viewers at home can ogle the latest Gillette 19-blade shaving stick. At half-time, everyone gets a chance to see some fantastic entertainment (sometimes even more entertaining that Ms Jackson).

The sport is, quite literally, only half of it.

verticalforce
04-02-2007, 23:01
During the breaks, do we get to see the UK or the US ones, cos it was rumoured that Apple will release some exciting new advert during the superbowl..

That's the only reason I stayed up late tbh..sad but true...

homealone
04-02-2007, 23:11
During the breaks, do we get to see the UK or the US ones, cos it was rumoured that Apple will release some exciting new advert during the superbowl..

That's the only reason I stayed up late tbh..sad but true...

breaks - do they have breaks ? ;)

pedantic
04-02-2007, 23:29
Touchdown !!! Chicago ! :cleader: :cleader:

What a start........

sir_drinks_alot
05-02-2007, 00:03
getting back to the game for a mo (you know this threds about! ) what a fest start great stuff all round !

lauzjp
05-02-2007, 05:59
YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I forget the score but anyway, Colts won my sleepy other half tells me - and Peyton got an MVP to go with the first family Superbowl ring - aw! :D

Shadow Demon UK
05-02-2007, 09:36
:woot:

gazzae
05-02-2007, 10:22
Some shocking mistakes by Grossman. Don't know what Lovie Smith was up to, seemed to be playing prevent the whole game

TheNorm
05-02-2007, 10:23
What happened to the Bears? They had such a great start, but seemed to wither and die by the start of the second half. Perhaps the quarterback didn't have enough experience.

gazzae
05-02-2007, 10:35
The defense wasn't aggressive, they were playing prevent trying not to give up the big play and the colts were just happy picking up 4/5 yards at a time.

TheNorm
05-02-2007, 11:04
Yes, but when the Bears were in control of the ball (not often, admittedly) they seemed to lose the plot. Mind you, the Colt's defense was pretty good...