PDA

View Full Version : PSP - advice please

Russ
24-01-2007, 10:35
I'm thinking of getting a PSP with one of these (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/catalogId/10651/partNumber/5683075.htm) - any PSP experts recommend anything else I should get?

dilli-theclaw
24-01-2007, 10:38
A case for your psp. When I had mine you only had to look at the thing almost for it to pick up little scratches!!!

It must be said also that there are plenty of free alternatives to converting films into psp format. So maybe it would be cheaper for you just to get the memory card and look around for the software.

Downloads
24-01-2007, 11:44
Yeah agreed, the cards are coming down in price too and you might be able to get a nice card with the £50. 2gb won't get many films on (unless you don't want to get many on one). I would invest all the money in the card.

Edit: Oh and if you are old and fuddy duddy like me, get a copy of Rainbow Island Evolution when it's released! (classic retro arcade material)

I also got a dock for mine, i am obsessed with docks, but it's not essential!

Stuart
24-01-2007, 11:47
It must be said also that there are plenty of free alternatives to converting films into psp format. So maybe it would be cheaper for you just to get the memory card and look around for the software.

One good one being PSP Video 9 (http://www.pspvideo9.com/)

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-01-2007, 12:24
extra battery, i have a battery pack that clips on the back and plugs into the power socket. Very good if your expecting to be on a long journey.

NEONKNIGHT
24-01-2007, 13:41
PSP - advice please? Don't Do It !;)

Only joking!:) Buy an xbox360 and a Wii, not very portable I know!:disturbd:

Russ
24-01-2007, 15:12
Only joking!:) Buy an xbox360 and a Wii, not very portable I know!:disturbd:

Exactly - so I won't be buying either!

Nikesh
24-01-2007, 15:42
I would buy the memory card separately. You can get a 4Gb one for about £45 now. :(

Slyder
24-01-2007, 18:12
Oh boy... have you come to the right place... have a seat son.

Firstly, I would suggest you pick up a PSP off ebay and look for firmware 1.5 This is the "golden firmware" as not only will it let you play iso images (of your own personal backups) of retail psp games (either via usb or stored on the memory stick) but also will allow you to run all the emulators you could think of. Amiga, snes, nes, megadrive, n64, spectrum - etc etc..

Next up, (when possible) look for what motherboard that bad boy is running on. Avoid any PSP claiming to run on the new TA-082 motherboard. These boards are newer and are preventing us psp users from downgrading to 1.5 and running homebrew.

As for cases, I would suggest the Logitech PlayGear case, see here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayGear-Pocket-PSP-Protective-Case/dp/B000A4385K/sr=8-1/qid=1169662484/ref=pd_ka_1/203-0095377-0272717?ie=UTF8&s=videogames) It doubles up as a stand to watch your films on. ;)

any questions - give us a shout... :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-01-2007, 18:20

Firstly, I would suggest you pick up a PSP off ebay and look for firmware 1.5 This is the "golden firmware" as not only will it let you play iso images (of your own personal backups) of retail psp games (either via usb or stored on the memory stick) but also will allow you to run all the emulators you could think of. Amiga, snes, nes, megadrive, n64, spectrum - etc etc..

Next up, (when possible) look for what motherboard that bad boy is running on. Avoid any PSP claiming to run on the new TA-082 motherboard. These boards are newer and are preventing us psp users from downgrading to 1.5 and running homebrew.

As for cases, I would suggest the Logitech PlayGear case, see here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayGear-Pocket-PSP-Protective-Case/dp/B000A4385K/sr=8-1/qid=1169662484/ref=pd_ka_1/203-0095377-0272717?ie=UTF8&s=videogames) It doubles up as a stand to watch your films on. ;)

Some of the later games insist on later firmwares dont they?

Slyder
24-01-2007, 18:32
Some of the later games insist on later firmwares dont they?

Your right of course, however there are simple workarounds for that minor obstacle- thats all I will say on that matter. ;)

Rest assured if you decided a little work wasnt worth the effort of unlocking the psp's potential, you could always upgrade to the newer firmware.

Russ
24-01-2007, 18:33

Cheers for that - I'll be in touch :D

Greenie on it's way!

mick70
29-01-2007, 23:02
Just launched today a downgrader for all version PSP's. Not that straightforward but it works. The PSP HACKS website has the program and guide.

skyblueheroes
30-01-2007, 06:55
As others have said - a big card, case and extra battery.

I don't use mine as often as I should, but off to America in March so no doubt it will get a go on the plane :)

Downloads
30-01-2007, 07:43
I've resisted from downgrading as i don't know a reliable source to use that wouldn't risk my PSP being bricked. If anyone would PM me i would be very appreciative!

Slyder
30-01-2007, 16:50
I've resisted from downgrading as i don't know a reliable source to use that wouldn't risk my PSP being bricked. If anyone would PM me i would be very appreciative!

As I have said to Russ, flashing a psp in any way, shape or form is risky. Its no different to flashing a router or bios. Theres always a chance of the psp becoming a nice brick. Regadless if your using offical firmware or downgrader firmware.

That being said, the downgraders upto 2.71 have matured and cases of people who use them correctly and failing are slim to nil. I have used the 2.71 downgrader on 3 units, all succesful. :)