PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Price Cut / No Playstation 3 Price cut

TheBlueRaja
24-01-2007, 00:12
Looks like the Iraqi Information Minister has started work with Sony..

First - Exzippit A)

From Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/23/no-ps2-like-price-cuts-for-the-ps3-sez-sony/)

While it's no surprise that Sony's not exactly jonesing to knock a few bills off the PlayStation 3's premium price tag, it's still somewhat notable that a top exec at the company would go out on a limb and explain exactly why you won't be getting a break on one anytime soon.

When asked by Game Informer whether the PlayStation 3's price cuts would be "as soon or as drastic as they were for the PlayStation 2," recently-promoted SCEA head Jack Tretton said flatly "no," adding that all the increased investment in R & D and hardware make the system "a lot more difficult to cost reduce" than the PS2.

However, our sources inside Sony home territories (aka Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/01/23/1713253.shtml)) have noticed something a little bit different..

Kotaku is reporting that the 20GB PS3 is down by 20% the the Akihibara district of Tokyo. Reports from both here and in Japan would seem to indicate that PlayStation 3s are sitting on shelves, as gamers wait for price drops or new games. The Tokyo merchants are anxious, it seems, and ready to get their consoles out the door. From the article: "The 20GB version originally books at 49,980 yen (US $412), but is being offered for 39,980 yen ($329) in a sale ending February. The shop is knocking a flat 10,000 yen ($82) right now. Japanese bulletin board 2chan reports that this at other Don Quijotes as well. It's interesting to check out the PS3 vibe at 2chan; Reasons for not buying go from 'there are no games I want' to 'video stores don't rent Blu-ray movies.' Well, not yet that is."

Now - who do you believe.... ;)

Damien
24-01-2007, 00:53
Is this not the shop keepers knocking off the price rather than Sony? They are worried about being stuck with the stock?

Sony do need to drop the price quickly, the lack of blu-ray content and the lack of good ps3 games is a danger. Again, unless Sony reach the critical mass it requires to make long-term development on the console a success then we are look at the next dreamcast.

Gareth
24-01-2007, 00:57
Yep, apparently the retailers are knocking off what they'd be taking as a cut, in order to ship them.

Someone on another forum pointed out that no console manufacturer has ever held the #1 position for 3 consoles in a row... looks like Sony came close, but that their reign appears to be over.

Damien
24-01-2007, 01:21
Yep, apparently the retailers are knocking off what they'd be taking as a cut, in order to ship them.

Someone on another forum pointed out that no console manufacturer has ever held the #1 position for 3 consoles in a row... looks like Sony came close, but that their reign appears to be over.

To be fair, Gaming is not that old. Only Sega and Nintendo, which sony did away with. Ahhh Irony, what would life be without you. Nintendo racing to catch up with 360 which has a nice lead.

Sony will be 3rd now, but a good 3rd which sustains itself and does well or Gamecube style fading iinto the background

---------- Post added at 00:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

I am sad about the way Playstation 3 turned out, I used both Playstations and I loved them, or at least the games. Up until now consoles themselves have been less about the device, Live put a end to that.

The price put me off a lot, especially when the increase was about the blu-ray, a technology I do not want to use yet and am not sure if it will last. The continuing problems, games moving to multi-platform and developers running from the system made me decide I would get a 360 alongside my wii.

Which is a shame because of the games the PS brought me and the fact I use a Mac, so I would miss out on a lot of the additonal featues (like Windows Live) that Microsoft offer. In the end though, it has the games and it has live. Its also a fair (although still high) price.

I do hope for the next one they listain to developers, like Microsoft did with providing the XNA development enviroment, and they examine the market better to see what a acceptible price is. Then again, who knows what the next consoles will be.

More closer to the full blown media center maybe....

Tezcatlipoca
24-01-2007, 02:02
To be fair, Gaming is not that old. Only Sega and Nintendo, which sony did away with. Ahhh Irony, what would life be without you. Nintendo racing to catch up with 360 which has a nice lead.

Gaming is pretty old, young Damien ;)

Do you not remember Atari?

Or how many "generations" Nintendo & Sega went through...

But anyway....

PS3 woes make me chuckle.