PDA

View Full Version : Wht is the law with BT telephone cables

RS100
22-01-2007, 17:14
Here is the deal every house in out street apart from next door to my friends has it's own gray bt box on the outside wall where the cable from the street cab comes it then changes to the cable that then goes in to the house,

But the house on the end has no gray box it shares a gray box with my friend who lives next door whos gray box has two wires one to his and one to his next door,

So what has happend is that the house next door to my friend has lost their telephone service but my friends is ok bt said that in the cable that goes to the street cab there is two pairs of cables in it one goes to my friends and the other for next door and next doors to my friend needs changeing as their pair of cables is damaged and now bt want to dig up my friends new drive way and lay a new cable but his phone is ok is it the law that he must let bt change the cable why can they just lay a new cable to next doors

NoKnowledge
22-01-2007, 17:50
BT can dig up your friends drive but they must put it back the way it was

MovedGoalPosts
22-01-2007, 18:24
There is no right of easement over the neighbouring property per se, thus initially the cable could be regarded as a tresspass. However, rights may well have been granted by an original owner (might well have been done with a long since lost bit of paper). Equally that the cable has probably been there for many years means rights will have been aquired by length of time. Only if it's very recently been installed might there be grounds for objection on the basis of tresspass.

As for digging up the drive, if the rights exist to route the cable then rights will exist to maintain it. However I'd expect the telco to be obliged to properly reinstate the drive on completion of the work.

RS100
22-01-2007, 21:22
Well i just found out some more info the the original gray bt box was removed from my friends next doors house as they had a fault on the line so bt run a cable from my friends box

themelon
23-01-2007, 09:55
Sounds like BT are running a DACs line to the neighbour off your friends copper 'speaker wire' back to the exchange. If this is the case the neighbour or your friend most likely wont have ADSL.

It could be something else BT have cobbled together though!

RS100
23-01-2007, 21:29
No the master cable has 4 copper wires in it two go to my friends and the other two go to his next doors both houses have adsl

Sounds like BT are running a DACs line to the neighbour off your friends copper 'speaker wire' back to the exchange. If this is the case the neighbour or your friend most likely wont have ADSL.

It could be something else BT have cobbled together though!

Mace
01-03-2007, 21:41
No the master cable has 4 copper wires in it two go to my friends and the other two go to his next doors both houses have adsl
That is not standard practice a lazy repair job any senior tech would agree in BT, I suspect it was a temp fix that stayed that way The answer is to tell BT to dig up the original wire next door and fix that its not your friends problem BT are way out of line with there own procedure on this one.

Get your friend to e mail the CEO if they dont change there attitude.

Paul K
02-03-2007, 15:24
Aye, if you email the CEO of the place ben.verwaayen@bt.com you will find very quickly he hates failure especially when a customer suffers due to it.

ntl engineer
02-03-2007, 15:38
the only way they can dig up ur m8s drive if they av the original wayleaf form from the previous owner or the landlord if thery avent then they can not do it by law and for the lazy job then well i usedto work for bt and trhe wires to the propertys shud av 4 cables in each cable uless it is 10 pair fibre optic

Mace
02-03-2007, 15:47
the only way they can dig up ur m8s drive if they av the original wayleaf form from the previous owner or the landlord if thery avent then they can not do it by law and for the lazy job then well i usedto work for bt and trhe wires to the propertys shud av 4 cables in each cable uless it is 10 pair fibre optic

That's 2 pairs per cable and what's that to do with using another properties feed ? even if it is the orange and white spare? Was your spelling as bad on BT I think I may have followed one of your A108 cards scrawled out lying on the subs mat.

ntl engineer
02-03-2007, 16:26
That's 2 pairs per cable and what's that to do with using another properties feed ? even if it is the orange and white spare? Was your spelling as bad on BT I think I may have followed one of your A108 cards scrawled out lying on the subs mat.

wot i was sayin they not allowed to use the other property spare telco cable

Carl J
02-03-2007, 19:30

wot i was sayin they not allowed to use the other property spare telco cable

Do your posts come in English sir rather than text speak? It's quite hard to read posts with no punctuation and loads of misspellings and missing words :(

PS1
20-03-2007, 17:32

You are kidding ,arent you?(10 pair fibre)

ntl engineer
23-03-2007, 11:46
no ps1 i deal with 10,15,20,25,30,50,100,250,500,pair fibre optic cable and it is fun to work with m8

PS1
23-03-2007, 16:05
And how many times exactly have you had to install your 10pr fibre into residential properties?:confused:

ntl engineer
23-03-2007, 17:43
And how many times exactly have you had to install your 10pr fibre into residential properties?:confused:

into new homes or when they run a business from home just depends

PS1
23-03-2007, 18:20
and what type of NTP is installed with these?

Digi Tel
29-03-2007, 22:58
My house was built in 1982 soon after BT were told to abandon telephone poles and ducted the subscriber cables underground. ALL the thousands of houses built in the early to mid-eighties in my town have the BT cables looped from property to property underground.
In my case, I have the second pair in a chain of seven detached houses. If I look in my BT metal cavity access point (covering the hole in my brickwork), I see five pairs looping off for the next five houses. The pairs are in one cable and run under the gardens and across the drives along the front line of the properties.
Was this peculiar to the time period (1982) or do they still do this today?