PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Price announced?

NEONKNIGHT
20-01-2007, 12:20
The expected price of the Playstation 3 in Europe may have been given away accidently by the Irish version of Sony's official PlayStation 3 website. Wallet busters indeed:-

60GB version of the PS3 will retail for 629.99 EUR (£414 GBP) - 30 EUR more than the price previously announced at last year's E3.

20GB version, which will now retail for 529.99 EUR (£348 GBP) instead of the previously announced 499.99 EUR.

Expensive!

Nikesh
20-01-2007, 12:22
Crazy prices! I'm sure the prices will drop 100 quid by the end of the year.

NEONKNIGHT
20-01-2007, 12:29
Crazy prices! I'm sure the prices will drop 100 quid by the end of the year.

The prices will only fall if enough people go out and buy the thing in the first place, together with cheaper production methods. In the cold light of day, has Sony prices ever been reasonable? They do come up with some good products but at the end of the day you pay for a brand most of the time and its usually over-priced at that.

Alanmelon
20-01-2007, 13:23
Wasn't it stated somewhere that the Irish PS3 was going to be a bit dearer anyway due to VAT equivalents over there?

SnoopZ
20-01-2007, 13:32
I thought the UK price was £425 which was a little bit more than the Irish price due to VAT. And the 20gig version wasn't available in the UK upon launch. Still bloody expensive and i have no reason to buy 1 seeing i've got a 360 which looks to be far better judging by reviews.

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22289

STONEISLAND
20-01-2007, 13:37
Its still the cheapest blue ray DVD you will find.

SnoopZ
20-01-2007, 13:58

Yes it is, but we're talking about a games console here. If i wanted a HD drive, i could get the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive for around £129.99. :)

STONEISLAND
20-01-2007, 14:03
Yes it is, but we're talking about a games console here. If i wanted a HD drive, i could get the Xbox360 HD-DVD drive for around £129.99. :)

True. But you not going to get Gran Turismo. Your not going to get a more powerfully games console than the PS3. Your not going to get a more exciting future than the PS3.

Just wait and see. Xbox has had its moment.

SnoopZ
20-01-2007, 14:05
True. But you not going to get Gran Turismo. Your not going to get a more powerfully games console than the PS3. Your not going to get a more exciting future than the PS3.

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

Shadow Demon UK
20-01-2007, 15:54
True. But you not going to get Gran Turismo.

True, but your not going to get Halo ;)

Niles Crane
20-01-2007, 16:06
True, but your not going to get Halo ;)

Or Gears of War and Project Gotham Racing.

I'll stick with my 360, thanks.

Gareth
20-01-2007, 16:31
Its still the cheapest blue ray DVD you will find.See the problem with this is that all my film buff friends laugh at the idea of playing a film through a games console, and they're not interested in getting "the cheapest" thing, they get the best quality they can. So that's the early adopters excluded... similarly, I've not met anyone who's prepared to ditch their DVD collection and replace it with Blu-Ray versions just yet.

For gamers this is - for the moment - a moot point too. The games themselves don't need a Blu-Ray nor a HD-DVD disc... There's been loads of talk about how Resistance Fall of Man was padded with 17GB of rubbish (so that the useful data is burned on the outside edge of the disc) and the actual game data is only approximately 5GB.

For once, Microsoft have done this the right way round, imo. The HD-DVD drive isn't required to play games on a 360, which is what a games console is about mostly. As such, they don't force you to buy an unnecessary component. If, however, you do want to add a HD-DVD drive to your 360, they'll sell you one at an additional cost.

Admittedly the cost of a Premium 360 with HD-DVD drive is close to the price of a PS3, but at least MS give you the choice of whether you want the HD-DVD drive or not.

Damien
20-01-2007, 16:43

Is that why they are not selling in Japan and America :dozey: I think your not going to get a more perilous future than the PS3 at the moment. If no one buys the consoles then no-one is going to make games for it.

Hype, Processor talk, and so on is pointless when the games are not there. Gran Turismo is not a good enough reason to choose the PS3 over a console with has PGR and Fonza. Most other PS3 exclusives have moved to the xbox as well because the PS3 is looking like a train wreck.

SnoopZ
20-01-2007, 16:45
Is that why they are not selling in Japan and America :dozey: I think your not going to get a more perilous future than the PS3 at the moment. If no one buts the consoles then no-one is going to make games for it.

Hype, Processor talk, and so on is pointless when the games are not there. Gran Turismo is not a good enough reason to choose the PS3 over a console with has PGR and Fonza. Most other PS3 exclusives have moved to the xbox as well because the PS3 is looking like a train wreck.

I agree with that. :)

Downloads
20-01-2007, 16:50
The expected price of the Playstation 3 in Europe may have been given away accidently by the Irish version of Sony's official PlayStation 3 website. Wallet busters indeed:-

60GB version of the PS3 will retail for 629.99 EUR (£414 GBP) - 30 EUR more than the price previously announced at last year's E3.

20GB version, which will now retail for 529.99 EUR (£348 GBP) instead of the previously announced 499.99 EUR.

Expensive!

Didn't the the US and Japan get a drop just before release when ours was already estimated to be £425?

shawty
20-01-2007, 17:10
See the problem with this is that all my film buff friends laugh at the idea of playing a film through a games console, and they're not interested in getting "the cheapest" thing, they get the best quality they can. So that's the early adopters excluded... similarly, I've not met anyone who's prepared to ditch their DVD collection and replace it with Blu-Ray versions just yet.

For gamers this is - for the moment - a moot point too. The games themselves don't need a Blu-Ray nor a HD-DVD disc... There's been loads of talk about how Resistance Fall of Man was padded with 17GB of rubbish (so that the useful data is burned on the outside edge of the disc) and the actual game data is only approximately 5GB.

For once, Microsoft have done this the right way round, imo. The HD-DVD drive isn't required to play games on a 360, which is what a games console is about mostly. As such, they don't force you to buy an unnecessary component. If, however, you do want to add a HD-DVD drive to your 360, they'll sell you one at an additional cost.

Admittedly the cost of a Premium 360 with HD-DVD drive is close to the price of a PS3, but at least MS give you the choice of whether you want the HD-DVD drive or not.

See thats the problem with that, they cant be very good film buffs. The blu-ray in the playstation 3 is said to be better than all the players out at the moment that are double the price.

Gareth
20-01-2007, 17:37
Dunno, mate... it may well be. To be honest, I switch off whenever they start talking about it. I've not got a hi-def telly, not even got widescreen... it's just an El Cheapo thing from Carrefour, but it's all I need.

Might have a word with them and see what they say about the PS3's merits versus standalone players... if I can stay awake long enough.

Damien
20-01-2007, 19:55
See thats the problem with that, they cant be very good film buffs. The blu-ray in the playstation 3 is said to be better than all the players out at the moment that are double the price.

Yeah, by Sony. Also the quality between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is equal. Most film buffs would not bother getting anything like that until the stituation is sorted and more films are on either of the formats.

gooner4life
20-01-2007, 20:09
Of course the PS3 gets you true High Definition gaming, none of this 720p or 1080i rubbish, oh wait, the maximum you can play your games on a PS3 is at 720p, it wont even scale it up to 1080p or 1080i because it has no hardware scaler in it, and if you have a 1080i television that doesnt support 720p then you have to play at 480p lol way to go Sony.

I'll stick with my Xbox 360 and Wii combo.

My 360 plays HDDVD's, it plays games at 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, I have Xbox Live, I have streaming media capabilities and I have great games like Gears of War, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, PES6, COD3, SvR2007, SC:DA, PGR3, and Halo3 to come.

The Playstation brand is the one thats had it's day.

Watch sales of the 360 go mental in Japan if it's true that Microsoft are buying Capcom as well, no Resident Evil for the PS3 and more great games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet for the 360.

Tezcatlipoca
20-01-2007, 22:50

Still more expensive than the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.

And Blu-ray isn't too great, at the moment. The early players have had a lot of problems, & the initial discs so far have been pretty crap... HD-DVD has been winning so far on sales & picture/sound quality.

Don't need GT, I can play PGR3 (& soon PGR4), plus various other excellent racing games.

Don't need Resistance (which I wouldn't want anyway as it's had some bad reviews & doesn't look very good), I can play Gears of War, the Halo games, Call of Duty 3 (multiformat but better on the 360), etc.

Don't need a PS3 for GTA etc... it's multiformat.

MS are rumoured to be buying Capcom....bye bye RE, DMC etc for the PS3 if true.

Lots of other stuff is multiformat.

No point spending over 400 quid on a PS3 just to play Metal gear Solid, lol.

Not going to get a more powerful console than the PS3, true. But I have an equally powerful one, with better games.

More exciting future...Got one already, don't need a PS3. Not fussed about blurry at the moment, & there are no games I'd consider worth buying a PS3 for.

SnoopZ
20-01-2007, 23:00
You missed out that the controllers don't vibrate, which i think is a very important feature for any console. ;)

shawty
21-01-2007, 00:08
Of course the PS3 gets you true High Definition gaming, none of this 720p or 1080i rubbish, oh wait, the maximum you can play your games on a PS3 is at 720p, it wont even scale it up to 1080p or 1080i because it has no hardware scaler in it, and if you have a 1080i television that doesnt support 720p then you have to play at 480p lol way to go Sony.

I'll stick with my Xbox 360 and Wii combo.

My 360 plays HDDVD's, it plays games at 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, I have Xbox Live, I have streaming media capabilities and I have great games like Gears of War, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, PES6, COD3, SvR2007, SC:DA, PGR3, and Halo3 to come.

The Playstation brand is the one thats had it's day.

Watch sales of the 360 go mental in Japan if it's true that Microsoft are buying Capcom as well, no Resident Evil for the PS3 and more great games like Dead Rising and Lost Planet for the 360.

This is what gets to me, if your going to put down the playstation 3 put it down properly. The maximum you can play your games on the PS3 is 1080p, not 720p. Also you can play games in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The only people that wont be able to are those that tvs only support 1080i and not 720p then the PS3 will downscale it 480. It has not been confirmed yet that the PS3 will not be able to upscale in the future with an software upgrade.

Your Xbox 360 does not play HD dvds from the box unless you buy the HD DVD drive add on which then brings the price range to what the PS3 is.

Like i said above the PS3 plays games at 720p, 1080i and 1080p. If you want to pay online with xbox live you have to buy it, with PS3 its free. The PS3 has some great games out for it with plentry to come.

The PS3 comes with memory card readers and a HDMI.

I might sound like im sticking up for it but im sick of people putting it down for the wrong reasons. Everything you have mentioned in your post can be comapared to the PS3. If you dont like it and your happy with your 360 then fine, but why do you have to come on here and type stuff like the maximum the PS3 can do is 720p when you know thats not true.

Damien
21-01-2007, 00:20
This is what gets to me, if your going to put down the playstation 3 put it down properly. The maximum you can play your games on the PS3 is 1080p, not 720p. Also you can play games in 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The only people that wont be able to are those that tvs only support 1080i and not 720p then the PS3 will downscale it 480. It has not been confirmed yet that the PS3 will not be able to upscale in the future with an software upgrade.

Your Xbox 360 does not play HD dvds from the box unless you buy the HD DVD drive add on which then brings the price range to what the PS3 is.

Like i said above the PS3 plays games at 720p, 1080i and 1080p. If you want to pay online with xbox live you have to buy it, with PS3 its free. The PS3 has some great games out for it with plentry to come.

The PS3 comes with memory card readers and a HDMI.

I might sound like im sticking up for it but im sick of people putting it down for the wrong reasons. Everything you have mentioned in your post can be comapared to the PS3. If you dont like it and your happy with your 360 then fine, but why do you have to come on here and type stuff like the maximum the PS3 can do is 720p when you know thats not true.

Because the games at the moment only output in 720p and do not upscale them correctly. The 360 does since it has a proper upscaler. Many tvs do not support 1080p either. Which is a shame since there is little difference between the two (thats actually, ya know, fact. Not sonys hyperbole).

I like sony, I have had playstations up until now. But the fact remains that the cell processor has been crippled in the PS3. The price of the PS3 is too high. And developers and running away from the platform because people are simply not buying them in high enough numbers.

It is failing in America. Sony may spin this as there simply is not enough consoles to meet demand. But they are not being brought. In america, after a month of the console, you can find them in any games shop being ignored as people ask about re-stocks of the Wii.

You are obviously entitled to like the PS3, But you should not ignore the facts that unless the PS3 picks up in sales (and without a price drop soon, its unlikely). It is a dead platform.

1) Not enough consoles = No incentive to spend the high amount of money it costs to make a next gen game.
2) Not enough games = No one gets the consoles.

It happened to the gamecube, if a console does not reach critical mass within a certain time frame. Developers drop support in favour of more popular consoles. Look at the PS3 exclusives that have jumped ship.

shawty
21-01-2007, 00:36
Because the games at the moment only output in 720p and do not upscale them correctly. The 360 does since it has a proper upscaler. Many tvs do not support 1080p either. Which is a shame since there is little difference between the two (thats actually, ya know, fact. Not sonys hyperbole).

I like sony, I have had playstations up until now. But the fact remains that the cell processor has been crippled in the PS3. The price of the PS3 is too high. And developers and running away from the platform because people are simply not buying them in high enough numbers.

It is failing in America. Sony may spin this as there simply is not enough consoles to meet demand. But they are not being brought. In america, after a month of the console, you can find them in any games shop being ignored as people ask about re-stocks of the Wii.

You are obviously entitled to like the PS3, But you should not ignore the facts that unless the PS3 picks up in sales (and without a price drop soon, its unlikely). It is a dead platform.

1) Not enough consoles = No incentive to spend the high amount of money it costs to make a next gen game.
2) Not enough games = No one gets the consoles.

It happened to the gamecube, if a console does not reach critical mass within a certain time frame. Developers drop support in favour of more popular consoles. Look at the PS3 exclusives that have jumped ship.

The mere fact you think there is no game out at 1080p ( GTHD as a demo online ) and Ridge Racer 7 means you obviously dont know much about the system ( or thats what it would tell me ) Then when it comes to games only outputting 720p most tvs will be able to upscale them anyway. The only tvs that wont do that are the very early HD tvs.

Where is the proof the cell processor has been crippled, or has it just been toned down to fit into the PS3, because how i see it the cell processor is great for decoding HD and also great for playing games like the ones already out and the ones for the future.

How is the price to high. Its sold more on launch than the PS2 and we all know what happened to that. The price is high compared to Xbox 360 but you get more with the PS3, if you dont want more fine get the 360 but plenty of people want more.

Yes and you entitled to your opinion but before you come on here shouting it to everyone you should get some facts right. The fact remains that the PS3 is a great console that CAN deliver all resolution formats and that CAN sell more than the PS2 launch and it is not to expensive for what your getting.

Damien
21-01-2007, 01:58
How is the price to high. Its sold more on launch than the PS2 and we all know what happened to that. The price is high compared to Xbox 360 but you get more with the PS3, if you dont want more fine get the 360 but plenty of people want more.

Its not competing against the PS2, Its competing against xbox and wii. Whats more the market has grown a lot since the PS2, as well as the fact the PS3 was a limited resource so it was bound to sell every copy. Like the other consoles did.

What was more telling was the fact it is not selling now. That is a important fact, its heading the way of the gamecube and we all know what happened to that.

The games you mentioned were not on release yet.

The cell has been nerfed. It has a less cores than intended, with one of them disabled and another running only the OS for the PS3.

Also saying the PS3 is a great console is not a fact, its a point of view. The playstation 2 example is mute, its like saying the wii sold more than the Gamecube. Different market to 5 years ago.

btw, what is "the cell processor is great for decoding HD" so is the xbox? and HD-DVD/Blu-ray players. As well as content i get of the internet and play on my mac. You looking too much into the HD video aspects, there is no difference between blu-ray and hd-dvd nor ps3 and 360 for playback.

shawty
21-01-2007, 03:14
Its not competing against the PS2, Its competing against xbox and wii. Whats more the market has grown a lot since the PS2, as well as the fact the PS3 was a limited resource so it was bound to sell every copy. Like the other consoles did.

What was more telling was the fact it is not selling now. That is a important fact, its heading the way of the gamecube and we all know what happened to that.

The games you mentioned were not on release yet.

The cell has been nerfed. It has a less cores than intended, with one of them disabled and another running only the OS for the PS3.

Also saying the PS3 is a great console is not a fact, its a point of view. The playstation 2 example is mute, its like saying the wii sold more than the Gamecube. Different market to 5 years ago.

btw, what is "the cell processor is great for decoding HD" so is the xbox? and HD-DVD/Blu-ray players. As well as content i get of the internet and play on my mac. You looking too much into the HD video aspects, there is no difference between blu-ray and hd-dvd nor ps3 and 360 for playback.

The fact is the PS3 has sold more consoles at launch than the PS2. The PS2 was up agaisnt the Xbox and Gamecube, look how the PS2 turned out. If the PS3 has sold more at launch and is up agaisnt the 360 and Wii, look at how the PS3 might turn out. It is selling now, they just have now fixed the production problems so they are able to ship more into the stores, saying that they are sold out at bestbuy, ("the largest specialty retailer of consumer electronics in the United States and Canada") http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=VMBUVXNYX510BKC4D3MVAFI?_dy ncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=ps3&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories

The games, GTHD is available from download and was since December the 24th and is 1080p and Ridge Racer 7 was available at the launch of the US and Japan verions of the console. We know they are not available in the UK becaise it has not launched here yet. But they are 2 games you can play at full 1080p when you said you couldnt.

The cell is poweful enough. This can be shown by the quality of games out at the moment, look at the visuals of Motorstorm and F1, both games availble now in Japan.

The PS3 is a great console, i would say it was fact (even though we all know it is opinion) just how the Xbox 360 and Wii are great consoles, they all offer there own thing.

I never said there was a difference between the consoles for HD, i just said the cell chip is a great chip for decoding HD material.

If you think the Xbox 360 is the best console then fine, come on here and state that. But dont come on stating half truths about the PS3 for what seems like no reason what so ever. So far you have said the maximum the PS3 can do is 720p when there is 1 game and 1 demo available at 1080p. Then you said the PS3 was not selling, when infact the PS3 is sold out to the biggest electronic retailer in the US.

Ive also heard on different forums that games are going to be £60, its been delayed again to september, october and 2008 oh and its not getting released at all. And the PS3 in the UK is not £425 its £498 ( or similar ) because it needs vat added on. All rumors or false information.

Damien
21-01-2007, 10:51
The fact is the PS3 has sold more consoles at launch than the PS2. The PS2 was up agaisnt the Xbox and Gamecube, look how the PS2 turned out. If the PS3 has sold more at launch and is up agaisnt the 360 and Wii, look at how the PS3 might turn out. It is selling now, they just have now fixed the production problems so they are able to ship more into the stores, saying that they are sold out at bestbuy, ("the largest specialty retailer of consumer electronics in the United States and Canada") http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....All+Categories (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=VMBUVXNYX510BKC4D3MVAFI?_dy ncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=ps3&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories)

The market was different. The PS3 is not selling that well sony are missing their own targets and are using the stuff about supply to cover themselfs. The 360 is out selling it and so it the Wii, and the Wii has supply problems.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

http://www.wrex.com/News/index.php?ID=14216

zing_deleted
21-01-2007, 11:01
Blu ray = betamax in the making.I cant see the Blu ray drive coming down in proce any time soon so either sony cut prices and take a loss or they stay expensive. Blu ray media costs more to produce than HD DVD so they cant soak up the losses there so I dont know what sonys future plan is.As I posted previously the Xbox DVD rom works natively in Vista and has drivers for XP so at this moment in time its much better option. Time will either prove me right over Blu or not .
Another point is what are they going to put on these media both xbox's HD dvd or Blu ray? they hold an incredible amount of data and the machines graphics are pushed with big games on dual layer dvds so what is going to happen? massive games where most people get bored? or massive video files for split scenes in the game? if its the latter I see it as a pointless waste. Sony I think are narcissists thinking they are so big that the world will follow I think with Blu ray as with there nasty little viruses on there cd media will be proven there not all that

shawty
21-01-2007, 12:59
The market was different. The PS3 is not selling that well sony are missing their own targets and are using the stuff about supply to cover themselfs. The 360 is out selling it and so it the Wii, and the Wii has supply problems.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

http://www.wrex.com/News/index.php?ID=14216

It doesnt matter if its a different market. The comparison is there to show you that the PS2 sold less at launch and still won the console wars in the end. The PS3 hasnt even released in Europe yet either, and with PS3 beating 360 sales in japan its clear to say we do not know whats going to happen. Do you really think its fair to say the PS3 is going the way of the gamecube when i provided you with a link to say the PS3 is sold out?

Gareth
21-01-2007, 13:08
Funnily enough, Sony sold more of the PS2 this Xmas than they did the PS3. Maybe there's still life in the PS2 after all.

Tezcatlipoca
21-01-2007, 13:12
The PS2 had a big-head start when it launched, as it came out before the GameCube & the Xbox.

Its only competition at launch, IIRC, was the Dreamcast, which sadly failed miserably because IMO of SEGA's ineptitude, even though it was a better machine in some ways.

By the time the GC & Xbox came out, the PS2 had already built-up a big lead.

This time around, the PS3 is late. The 360 has had a 1 year head-start, while the Wii is out around the same time as the PS3 (US/Japan) or earlier (Europe), unlike before when the GC came out much later than the PS2.

Blu ray = betamax in the making. (snip)

Good points.

Also, another comparison to betamax....pr0n industry has gone with HD-DVD, just like with VHS, lol.

zing_deleted
21-01-2007, 13:19
well thats it then Blu ray is shafted (pun intended ;))

shawty
21-01-2007, 13:22
well thats it then Blu ray is shafted (pun intended ;))

Its not though is it, not yet. Current sales figures put it just behind HD-DVD with it rising steadily. Im not going to go on with the fact its in the PS3 ect, but when you comapre the two there is still nothing really in it.

zing_deleted
21-01-2007, 13:24
yes there is there are all the points ive made. People will buy the ps3 now as its there but imo the life of blu ray will be short lived and remember in 2 or 3 years both blu ray and HD dvd have a much stronger competitor coming to blow it out of the water.....HVD btw ;)

shawty
21-01-2007, 13:31
yes there is there are all the points ive made. People will buy the ps3 now as its there but imo the life of blu ray will be short lived and remember in 2 or 3 years both blu ray and HD dvd have a much stronger competitor coming to blow it out of the water.....HVD btw ;)

HVD might blow them out the water with quality but its not going to make it main stream when blue ray or hd dvd have just become established. In your opinion its going to be shortlived but at the moment it seems to be steady with hd dvd, so there is no clear winner.

12noon
21-01-2007, 13:33
The PS2 was up agaisnt the Xbox and Gamecube
The PS2 was up against Sega Dreamcast !

Its only competition at launch, IIRC, was the Dreamcast, which sadly failed miserably because IMO of SEGA's ineptitude, even though it was a better machine in some ways.
It was because people were copying games for the Dreamcast and not buying them. Why make games for a console when nobody buys the games.

Blu ray = betamax in the making.
Yup, i think HD-DVD will win this one. The porn industry has gone for HD-DVD.

BTW i've got a xbox 360, but would buy PS3 if it was going to take off and still be bringing out good games in a year or two.

zing_deleted
21-01-2007, 13:46
HVD might blow them out the water with quality but its not going to make it main stream when blue ray or hd dvd have just become established. In your opinion its going to be shortlived but at the moment it seems to be steady with hd dvd, so there is no clear winner.

2 years will not see either of these formats "established" how many people do you think are going to buy either of these players for the home? how many people do you actually think own a console let alone intend to upgrade to one of the newest ones? I think its very nieve to say there going steady because there are not a huge amounts of owners of either format so sales are minute compared to standard dvd which is established and took years to become so.
Going steady at bottom of a very tall ladder

shawty
21-01-2007, 13:46
The PS2 was up against Sega Dreamcast !

It was because people were copying games for the Dreamcast and not buying them. Why make games for a console when nobody buys the games.

Yup, i think HD-DVD will win this one. The porn industry has gone for HD-DVD.

BTW i've got a xbox 360, but would buy PS3 if it was going to take off and still be bringing out good games in a year or two.

Is the porn industry really a big thing now on dvds? How many people do you know that actually go out and buy porn dvds? I dont and i dont know anyone that does, you can download it all for free with broadband. I can see maybe why it was such a thing when vhs was out as there was no broadband and no internet in homes ( correct me if im wrong )

zing_deleted
21-01-2007, 13:49
Is the porn industry really a big thing now on dvds? How many people do you know that actually go out and buy porn dvds? I dont and i dont know anyone that does, you can download it all for free with broadband. I can see maybe why it was such a thing when vhs was out as there was no broadband and no internet in homes ( correct me if im wrong )

would they tell you if they did? would I yes I dont buy them I download divx rips but the industry is huge

little info to ponder http://www.forbes.com/2001/05/25/0524porn.html

500mill to 1,3 billion in 2001

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/21/60minutes/main585049.shtml

why the porn indusrty opts for HD dvd http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

even macworld agrees http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/02/pornhd/index.php?lsrc=mwrss

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Porn-industry-to-have-big-influence-on-HD-DVD-vs_-Blu-ray.html 11,000 titles a year so in answer to your question yes porn really is that big (older report as newer reports do say porn industry favour HD where as this report says its undecided)

Damien
22-01-2007, 08:09
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070122/BUSINESS/701220308/1003

shawty
22-01-2007, 14:16
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070122/BUSINESS/701220308/1003

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=ps3&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq707333%7E%7Eccat02119%23%234%23%232k%7E%7E cpcmcat91400050028%23%233%23%231o%7E%7Encpcmcat104 100050000%23%230%23%234&list=n&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n Bestbuy.com out of stock.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-PlayStation-3-60GB/sem/rpsm/oid/166283/catOid/-16622/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do Circuit City, out of stock online. Random zip codes ( 43209 ohio ) out of stock in 9 stores, 1 store with some in. Random zip code ( 32822 florida ) out of stock in 9 stores, 1 store with some in. Random zip code ( 10036 new york ) out of stock 8 stores, 2 stores with some in.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303668 Walmart.com. PS3 20gb starter pack, limited stocks only 1 availible per person. PS3 Bundle in stock.

http://www.etoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/4753967/ctid/19/INstock/N/D//SkuNo/984384
Etoys.com PS3 20gb bundle, sold out. PS3 60gb, in stock.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-49-en-15-ps3.html
Playasia.com, PS3 20gb and 60gb 110v in stock, all though 60gb was out of stock yesterday when i looked so they have just had a delivery. PS3 20gb and 60 gb 220v, out of stock.

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=177563&WT.mc_id=KAx20061023x00272xTier3&WT.mc_id=KAx20061023x00272xTier3
Kmart.com playstation 3 sold out, both models.

http://www.gamestop.com/productavail.asp?miles=200&sku=020072&zip=10036&product_name=Sony+PlayStation+3+60+Gig+%2APlease+n ote+that+system+may+take+up+to+72+hrs%2E+to+ship+d ue+to+processing+time%2E&platforms=PS3&sbox=020072a%2Ejpg&status=A&bn=False
EBgames, some stores in stock ( 1-3 consoles or 4+ ) , some stores out of stock, the list made is from a 200 mile radious of zip code 10036. Note, list is not a real time list and to phone store to check availability because products sell quikly.

Now obviously its not sold out everywhere, BUT the PS3 is selling and the only obvious reason why there is still some in stock is the fact Sony have kept up with demand in some places. You can not deny its not selling, the photos of bundles of stock of 20, 30 PS3 stood there are obviously brand new stock and not ones that are not selling. If you want to believe the PS3 is not selling then carry on believing that, i have provided you with enough evidence to state otherwise.

SnoopZ
22-01-2007, 17:34
It's not selling very well and that's a fact, but i'm not going to look around the internet like that to prove it!

Honestly some people just go on and on and on...... :shrug:

shawty
22-01-2007, 17:46
It's not selling very well and that's a fact, but i'm not going to look around the internet like that to prove it!

Honestly some people just go on and on and on...... :shrug:

It is selling, ive just proved that to you. If the console is sold out in shops then its selling, or have we all lost the ability of commen sense. The fact that some stores still have some available does not mean its not selling it most likely means Sony are keeping up with demand. That point is backed up by play asia have stock of the 60gb in today when they never last night. If you cant see that then you have something wrong with your brain. Im no 'fanboy' i love the wii and want a 360 and also a PS3 the most. But what we have here is people posting false information or half truths about the PS3.

Alanmelon
22-01-2007, 18:02
It is selling, ive just proved that to you. If the console is sold out in shops then its selling, or have we all lost the ability of commen sense. The fact that some stores still have some available does not mean its not selling it most likely means Sony are keeping up with demand. That point is backed up by play asia have stock of the 60gb in today when they never last night. If you cant see that then you have something wrong with your brain. Im no 'fanboy' i love the wii and want a 360 and also a PS3 the most. But what we have here is people posting false information or half truths about the PS3.

I don't really want to get involved in this discussion, but surely your logic is just as valid when looked at the other way around. One could argue that those outlets with little or no stock are in such a position due to Sony's inability to meet demand or that those who do have stock are unable to shift them as quickly. Nothing can really be proved by quoting all those stock levels without detailed information on manufacturing rates and how long the units are sitting on the shelves.

NEONKNIGHT
22-01-2007, 18:07
I don't really want to get involved in this discussion, but surely your logic is just as valid when looked at the other way around. One could argue that those outlets with little or no stock are in such a position due to Sony's inability to meet demand or that those who do have stock are unable to shift them as quickly. Nothing can really be proved by quoting all those stock levels without detailed information on manufacturing rates and how long the units are sitting on the shelves.

You wouldn't happen to work in Cost Accounting would you?;)

shawty
22-01-2007, 18:09

But it is selling, they have shipped over 1 million to Japan and over 1 million to the US. Also the fact some places that were sold out last night and now have new stock in. Also the fact Sony is outselling 360 in Japan. Also the fact that the PS3 has sold more on launch than the PS2. All these things say its selling and doing well. But lets say its not. The fact other lies and misunderstandings have been posted in this thread is really annoying.

Gareth
22-01-2007, 19:40
I think we all agree that it is selling - whether it's selling as well as it should, however, is up for debate.

According to this (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22215) article over at gamesindustry.biz, there's 30% of the million that they shipped in North America still sitting on shelves. Compare that with the Wii - more items were shipped and, importantly, they were also sold by vendors too.

As for the PS3 outselling the 360 in Asia, I'm not surprised in the slightest. The Asian market was always going to be the most difficult for Microsoft - it's a Western console with primarily westernised games that don't interest the majority of eastern gamers. Despite MS selling the console cheaply in this region, it's always going to struggle against both Sony and Nintendo.

As for the PS3 outselling the PS2 at launch... no idea, not seen any figures for the PS2 launch.

Damien
22-01-2007, 20:17
But it is selling, they have shipped over 1 million to Japan and over 1 million to the US. Also the fact some places that were sold out last night and now have new stock in. Also the fact Sony is outselling 360 in Japan. Also the fact that the PS3 has sold more on launch than the PS2. All these things say its selling and doing well. But lets say its not. The fact other lies and misunderstandings have been posted in this thread is really annoying.

Gareth shows the truth. The xbox has never done well in Japan, its normal for that. Again the PS2 is 5 years ago, the market has grown incredibly in the last 5 years. Another way to look at it is that although the PS3 sold more than the PS2, The wii has sold a lot lot lot more than it.

shawty
22-01-2007, 20:42
Gareth shows the truth. The xbox has never done well in Japan, its normal for that. Again the PS2 is 5 years ago, the market has grown incredibly in the last 5 years. Another way to look at it is that although the PS3 sold more than the PS2, The wii has sold a lot lot lot more than it.

So if the Xbox never does well in Japan and the PS3 always does good in Japan, Ameica and Europe then does that mean because the Xbox only does good in America and Europe that the PS3 is going to win? Obviously its to early to tell. Im not comparing systems from 5 years ago to now. Im comparing the sales from launch and the PS3 launch has sold more than the PS2 launch, it must mean something. Yes the Wii has sold more and so has the Xbox 360, thats not the arguement here, the point is the PS3 is selling and by the announcemnt of Sony that they have fixed the suply issues it is selling well due to the fact people are still sold out of PS3. The PS3 has shipped 2 million consoles so far, how many of them they have sold we dont really have an accurate number yet but dont forget your comparing the Wii that is on sale in US, Japan and Europe and the PS3 has not been released here yet. Come back in April when the PS3 has launched in Europe and if its not doing well then something is wrong.

Damien
22-01-2007, 23:36
So if the Xbox never does well in Japan and the PS3 always does good in Japan, Ameica and Europe then does that mean because the Xbox only does good in America and Europe that the PS3 is going to win? Obviously its to early to tell. Im not comparing systems from 5 years ago to now. Im comparing the sales from launch and the PS3 launch has sold more than the PS2 launch, it must mean something. Yes the Wii has sold more and so has the Xbox 360, thats not the arguement here, the point is the PS3 is selling and by the announcemnt of Sony that they have fixed the suply issues it is selling well due to the fact people are still sold out of PS3. The PS3 has shipped 2 million consoles so far, how many of them they have sold we dont really have an accurate number yet but dont forget your comparing the Wii that is on sale in US, Japan and Europe and the PS3 has not been released here yet. Come back in April when the PS3 has launched in Europe and if its not doing well then something is wrong.

http://www.gamedrift.com/articles.php?a=182

Not so well in Japan either. The wii is outselling the PS3 is both Japan and America. I am not talking world-wide figures here. The xbox 360 and wii is outselling the PS3 in america. And sony cannot claim its the supply problems. By the way, its sony who spun the hype about the supply lines, not one market analyst has said this is the reason.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

The PS3 has sold 1,200,00 consoles, not 2,000,00. The wii has sold 3,000,000 in Japan and America alone, and that is still having supply problems

shawty
22-01-2007, 23:58
http://www.gamedrift.com/articles.php?a=182

Not so well in Japan either. The wii is outselling the PS3 is both Japan and America. I am not talking world-wide figures here. The xbox 360 and wii is outselling the PS3 in america. And sony cannot claim its the supply problems. By the way, its sony who spun the hype about the supply lines, not one market analyst has said this is the reason.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

The PS3 has sold 1,200,00 consoles, not 2,000,00. The wii has sold 3,000,000 in Japan and America alone, and that is still having supply problems

Another thing you have got wrong, do you fail to read my posts, i never did say they had sold 2 million i said they have shipped 2 million.

Uncle Peter
23-01-2007, 00:31
I await the killer app (this may well be GT5) and hope that the price of the thing comes down a fair bit by then but even if it doesn't, what the hell you only live once even if the thing does look like a George Foreman grill and consume more power than a large industrial city.

TBH my PS2 only saw a handfull of games throughout its abused and kicked lifespan: mainly the usual suspects - the GT and GTA series

Gareth
23-01-2007, 17:01
Here's an interesting article... :erm:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13798

Damien
23-01-2007, 17:48
Here's an interesting article... :erm:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13798

Yes, But that must be because the PS3 is so popular, and so much more succesful than sony could have ever imagined that they just have to cut the prices :D

Tezcatlipoca
24-01-2007, 01:11
Well, we've all heard & read how:

- The 360 is a lot easier to code for than the PS3.

- The PS3 isn't actually as powerful as Sony made out (& still make out).

- Due to Cell limitations Sony apparently had to change their mind & get Nvidia to make the "Reality Synthesiser" (?) GPU, as the Cell couldn't handle it all as originally planned.

- Multiformat games out on the PS3 so far do not appear to be as good as the 360 versions.

etc.

Related to that, here's a link to a page of a thread at AVForums in which someone goes into some interesting detail regarding coding for the 360 and the PS3

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460297&page=7

Uncle Peter
24-01-2007, 22:34
According to Eurogamer: The PAL PS3 launch details are expected at midnight GMT.

Shadow Demon UK
24-01-2007, 22:45
Well, we've all heard & read how:

- The 360 is a lot easier to code for than the PS3.

- The PS3 isn't actually as powerful as Sony made out (& still make out).

- Due to Cell limitations Sony apparently had to change their mind & get Nvidia to make the "Reality Synthesiser" (?) GPU, as the Cell couldn't handle it all as originally planned.

- Multiformat games out on the PS3 so far do not appear to be as good as the 360 versions.

Also the PS3 backwards compatibility is horrendous as shown here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

shawty
24-01-2007, 23:35
Also the PS3 backwards compatibility is horrendous as shown here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoCD9TwLrVs

Just to add thats actually been fixed in the 1.5 update.

---------- Post added at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

Looks like its been announced early if this is to be believed.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=13855

Uncle Peter
24-01-2007, 23:40
Yes seems to be filtering through everywhere so it would appear to be gospel.

No exclusive launch titles jumping out of the page there. The price of those hdmi cables is a laugh though, they must cost about a quid to make if that.

kronas
24-01-2007, 23:45
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72194

confirmed!

Tezcatlipoca
25-01-2007, 00:20
Hmm.

No really stand-out launch titles at all.

Nothing worth buying a PS3 for, certainly.

There are some v good games in the list, but they're multiformat ones like Oblivion & Splinter Cell.

Still, the PS2 had zero decent games at launch, & they still sold loads of consoles.

Actually, the only really top-notch launch title I can think of for any recent-ish consoles is Halo for the 1st Xbox, & maybe PGR3 for the 360 (tho' I think PGR3 gets a bit dull).

mcmanic
25-01-2007, 11:00
so £443 then if you wanna play in Hi Def because they cannot be ****** to throw in a component cable or HDMI lead, then a extra controller at £34 which makes it £477 then at last 1 game at £50 so now £527 but you will probably buy two or be forced to take a bundle by the store so now add another £50 which makes it £577 !!!
then you got to consider that 20 odd of them games have been on 360 for ages (so much for the "The HD era only starts when Sony says so" comment) and are cheaper now and look no different, plus then there are a couple of so called exclusives which are just a few extra's added onto exsisting 360 games (RR7 & Full Auto 2) and a yet there are a few titles still on the list still to come to 360!
So to sum up yeah good launch to some (Rich and mad) but not "THAT" great to tempt anyone over from the darkside and with a high price to boot and no price drop for well over a year (http://ps3center.net/story-208.html), all does not bode well for Sony for me i'm afraid.
The competition has just priced itself out of the market for a long time, sorry but thats just how i feel and probably many others after the hardcore gamers have brought theirs leaving many on stores shelves unbrought and overpriced

Damien
25-01-2007, 14:25
They do throw the cable in now dont they?

Downloads
25-01-2007, 15:48
T3 are saying a second controller will cost £50.

I wouldn't mind getting Motor Storm and Untold Legends if i were to buy it and i do have it pre-ordered.

However, America are paying £100 less than us for the console and much less for the controllers if T3 are right.

Yes there is no HDMI cable, only composite with the console. An HDMI cable will cost £25 T3 says.

My own personal opinion is, if we buy this console we are then saying it's OK to charge us this much, which is why i will be giving up my pre-order.

kronas
25-01-2007, 16:52
(at last check) you can get gold plated HDMI's for £10 if you know where to look, NOT generic unbranded ones either!

shawty
25-01-2007, 19:37
T3 are saying a second controller will cost £50.

I wouldn't mind getting Motor Storm and Untold Legends if i were to buy it and i do have it pre-ordered.

However, America are paying £100 less than us for the console and much less for the controllers if T3 are right.

Yes there is no HDMI cable, only composite with the console. An HDMI cable will cost £25 T3 says.

My own personal opinion is, if we buy this console we are then saying it's OK to charge us this much, which is why i will be giving up my pre-order.

T3 are wrong, those prices are Euro prices.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164689.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

These are the British prices.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758075p1.html

Uncle Peter
25-01-2007, 20:53
Great so by not giving the consumer a choice between hdmi or composite one is expected to shell out even more hard earned readies?

What is the official PS3 launch song? "Stand and Deliver" ?

SnoopZ
25-01-2007, 21:01
What is the official PS3 launch song? "Stand and Deliver" ?

Stand and be ripped off i'd say. :D

Downloads
25-01-2007, 21:40
T3 are wrong, those prices are Euro prices.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164689.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

These are the British prices.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758075p1.html

Regardless of T3 inaccuracies, TotalPS3 says this...

In case you were wondering, in America, the PS3 goes for £356, in Japan, it's a tiny £252 for the 60GB unit,with prices of the 20GB machine recently being slashed by a further 20% due to poor sales, and in Australia, the PS3 costs £395.

So someone come again, how do we pay £425?

shawty
25-01-2007, 22:47
Regardless of T3 inaccuracies, TotalPS3 says this...

In case you were wondering, in America, the PS3 goes for £356, in Japan, it's a tiny £252 for the 60GB unit,with prices of the 20GB machine recently being slashed by a further 20% due to poor sales, and in Australia, the PS3 costs £395.

So someone come again, how do we pay £425?

Its not like its anything new, it happend with the PS1 and PS2 and it happens with cars, it happens with everything.

Tezcatlipoca
25-01-2007, 22:55
Its not like its anything new, it happend with the PS1 and PS2 and it happens with cars, it happens with everything.

True :(

Good old Rip-Off Britain.

Downloads
26-01-2007, 07:27

I agree, but this is worse, it goes further.

Actually on current exchange rates, the PS3 costs £300 in the US, it's $600. That makes it in real terms £125 more expensive here. I know 1.99 is an unrealistic exchange rate, but thats what i would pay for importing one plus postage.

When the 360 was released if i remember correctly i paid £50 more than the US, but it's not so bad with 9 months more warranty (i know theirs was extended) and extra consumer rights (extended sale of goods act for example).

By going further this time, Sony are paying for the Japanese peanut price by shafting us with the highest price in the world. Our overpaying is paying for their discount and i'm not going to buy it and say it's OK.

I will source one from the US as all the games are region free from play-asia and hopefully Sony will get the idea tha when it flops, it was too expensive.

There's paying a premium and then there is paying double that of the Japanese and that is totally unacceptable.

shawty
26-01-2007, 14:14
I agree, but this is worse, it goes further.

Actually on current exchange rates, the PS3 costs £300 in the US, it's $600. That makes it in real terms £125 more expensive here. I know 1.99 is an unrealistic exchange rate, but thats what i would pay for importing one plus postage.

When the 360 was released if i remember correctly i paid £50 more than the US, but it's not so bad with 9 months more warranty (i know theirs was extended) and extra consumer rights (extended sale of goods act for example).

By going further this time, Sony are paying for the Japanese peanut price by shafting us with the highest price in the world. Our overpaying is paying for their discount and i'm not going to buy it and say it's OK.

I will source one from the US as all the games are region free from play-asia and hopefully Sony will get the idea tha when it flops, it was too expensive.

There's paying a premium and then there is paying double that of the Japanese and that is totally unacceptable.

Its not worse though, its just as bad. We pay thousands more for cars. At the end of the day if you dont like the price dont get one, yes the price is high but i actually think its ok as you get a blu ray player with it. I dont see why you need to come onto a forum and explain why your not going to get one because the price is to high. We all knew from E3 2005 that this thing was going to be expensive so just under 2 years i dont see why people are still suprised.

Downloads
26-01-2007, 14:32
Its not worse though, its just as bad. We pay thousands more for cars. At the end of the day if you dont like the price dont get one, yes the price is high but i actually think its ok as you get a blu ray player with it. I dont see why you need to come onto a forum and explain why your not going to get one because the price is to high. We all knew from E3 2005 that this thing was going to be expensive so just under 2 years i dont see why people are still suprised.

You don't see why i need to come onto a forum? Are you serious?

I thought the whole point of going on forums was to chew the fat and give your views and opinions?

I just gave mine whether you like it or not.

And for info, i didn't say i wasn't going to get one, i said i would get one from the US.

shawty
26-01-2007, 15:11
You don't see why i need to come onto a forum? Are you serious?

I thought the whole point of going on forums was to chew the fat and give your views and opinions?

I just gave mine whether you like it or not.

And for info, i didn't say i wasn't going to get one, i said i would get one from the US.

Yeah the fact is that Britain gets charged more for everything, it seems that you have a gripe with Sony when its actually Britain that puts the prices high. Have your opinions yes but its not going to change anything and i dont see why almost 2 years later we still need to talk about it the way we are. In all honesty £425 for the PS3 is not much. Its a games console and a blu ray player and they cost £300 and £700 and that equals a thousand pound.

Shadow Demon UK
26-01-2007, 15:15
Yeah the fact is that Britain gets charged more for everything, it seems that you have a gripe with Sony when its actually Britain that puts the prices high. Have your opinions yes but its not going to change anything and i dont see why almost 2 years later we still need to talk about it the way we are. In all honesty £425 for the PS3 is not much. Its a games console and a blu ray player and they cost £300 and £700 and that equals a thousand pound.

But as Downloads has said the PS3 is £125 more expensive here than the US whereas the Xbox 360 was only £50 more expensive. It seems that Sony are doubling the normal mark up price which is what i think Downloads is getting at.

Gareth
26-01-2007, 15:42
it seems that you have a gripe with Sony when its actually Britain that puts the prices highWhat? How does a country set retail prices?

Sony set the price based on their calculation of manufacturing costs, distribution, etc... and also whatever surcharge they can get away with adding on, because they think that the consumer will swallow it.

I think that some of the prices being quoted are exclusive of any local taxes, which should be added on, or the VAT removed from the UK RRP. It's also interesting to note that both Nintendo and Microsoft applied a surcharge for the UK market too... if you look at the percentages of each price hike, there's not that much difference between them, but because the base price of the PS3 is so much higher, the UK's mark-up is a lot more evident.

shawty
26-01-2007, 15:42
But as Downloads has said the PS3 is £125 more expensive here than the US whereas the Xbox 360 was only £50 more expensive. It seems that Sony are doubling the normal mark up price which is what i think Downloads is getting at.

Cars are thousands more expansive over here than anywhere else. Im not certain but Sony will have a price set on how much they need to sell each console for them not to loose to much money. They wont put one price down in America and the price up in Britain to cover for it. Dont forget the shops need to make a profit aswel, so that can push the price up.

An example of this from a non Sony company.

Hd DVD player from Bestbuy.com $499.99 = £254
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8021767&st=hd+dvd&type=product&id=1158323325814

HD DVD player from comet.com = £450
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=364185

Thats £196 more for the same player here in Britain. We live in rip of Britain. Its not Just Sony or whoever is marking the price up ripping us off.

Damien
26-01-2007, 16:54
It is sony, they just get away with it because the market allows them too. In other words, it a force of habit. Shops sell them on a RRP, so they get shipped for lower than the base cost so the store can make a profit, this is the same in America.

Also Americas figure does not include VAT while ours does.

Gareth
26-01-2007, 16:55
Agreed, Sony aren't the only ones... still doesn't make it right though.

Are those players the same ones? They've got different model numbers - HD-A2 & HD-E1... although that may be because of the different geographic markets, I don't know anything about HD-DVD drives to know if it's the same model or not.

Shadow Demon UK
26-01-2007, 16:57
Are those players the same ones? They've got different model numbers - HD-A2 & HD-E1... although that may be because of the different geographic markets, I don't know anything about HD-DVD drives to know if it's the same model or not.

And i'm sure this is the same one but £100 less - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HD-E1-High-Definition-Player/dp/B000I7IHHI/sr=8-1/qid=1169828813/ref=sr_1_1/203-7326747-1039102?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Damien
26-01-2007, 17:02
The price is still very high for a console. Xboxs price is pushing it.

shawty
26-01-2007, 17:36
And i'm sure this is the same one but £100 less - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-HD-E1-High-Definition-Player/dp/B000I7IHHI/sr=8-1/qid=1169828813/ref=sr_1_1/203-7326747-1039102?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Yes it is the same one but i was comparing them from both big retailers.

Uncle Peter
26-01-2007, 17:37
Sony are still probably losing a shedload of cash on each console as well. Just a shame that we have to get fleeced to take up some of the slack for the Japs and Americans as usual.

shawty
26-01-2007, 17:38
Agreed, Sony aren't the only ones... still doesn't make it right though.

Yeah its the same one, i made sure i checked that before i posted lol.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

The price is still very high for a console. Xboxs price is pushing it.

Yes its high for a console, but its not just a console now is it. Its a HD drive to. That is what we are paying for.

Damien
26-01-2007, 21:11
Intresting blog from here:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/01/25/in_ripoff_britain_playstation_3_will_cost_835.html

I also think Sony could drop the price to £399, would make it a bit better

Downloads
26-01-2007, 21:33

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/archives/2007/01/25/in_ripoff_britain_playstation_3_will_cost_835.html

heh

basically is the same as what i said about the pricing

Damien
26-01-2007, 21:44
Yes its high for a console, but its not just a console now is it. Its a HD drive to. That is what we are paying for.

Yeah, But a lot of people dont want to pay for it. Harming sales of the console. Not every wants to be forced to hand over £400 for a Blu-Ray player when there are few discs around and no certainty over the long time future of it.

Its far too early for blu-ray, so all people are going to see is the console which costs around £120 more than the 360, or £80 if you throw in wireless and live.

shawty
26-01-2007, 21:56
Yeah, But a lot of people dont want to pay for it. Harming sales of the console. Not every wants to be forced to hand over £400 for a Blu-Ray player when there are few discs around and no certainty over the long time future of it.

Its far too early for blu-ray, so all people are going to see is the console which costs around £120 more than the 360, or £80 if you throw in wireless and live.

But its not a hight price for what it is. Wether that turns out to be more harm then good we will find out in coming years. It would be a high price for a console, but its not just a console no more.

Tezcatlipoca
26-01-2007, 22:04

I loved the UK:Resistance thing linked from there...

http://ukresistance.co.uk/

SONY ANNOUNCES XBOX 360 LAUNCH LINE-UP
Well done, PlayStation3. Well done on having lots of really old European launch games that don't work as well online as they did a year ago. If only Sony was this inept in 1999 we'd all be playing Dreamcast 2 right now.

(snip)

The "PS3 EURO LAUNCH: THE FACTS" was quite good too.

NEONKNIGHT
26-01-2007, 23:25
Sony are still probably losing a shedload of cash on each console as well. Just a shame that we have to get fleeced to take up some of the slack for the Japs and Americans as usual.

No we don't have to be fleeced (again!) by Phony and Paystation3 - we just don't buy the overpriced, under achieveing mess that it is. If anyone in the UK buy's this on release for the current rip-off price they need their heads examining! There is absolutely NO justification to go out and buy this console as it stands.

shawty
26-01-2007, 23:33
No we don't have to be fleeced (again!) by Phony and Paystation3 - we just don't buy the overpriced, under achieveing mess that it is. If anyone in the UK buy's this on release for the current rip-off price they need their heads examining! There is absolutely NO justification to go out and buy this console as it stands.

Why not? First of all its the cheapest blu-ray player on the market and also, price wise comparible to the HD DVD players on the market. Secondly There is 2 games and 1 demo ( Motorstorm, F1 and GTHD ) which are as graphically good as Gears of war ( which is the Xbox 360 most good looking game at the moment ) Thirdly the internet ( all be it not as many features as Xbox Live ) is free to play online. fourthly, Bigger HDD and memory card reader. I like all 3 consoles, to have to come on a forum and say stuff like that is nonesense.

Also have you not noticed that every company be it food, electircal or car manufactures, charge a higher price when selling in Britain.

Mod Edit (Matt D) - Removed

Damien
26-01-2007, 23:37
But its not a hight price for what it is. Wether that turns out to be more harm then good we will find out in coming years. It would be a high price for a console, but its not just a console no more.

Which is why it will fail, people think the playstation 3 as a games console, they dont need blue ray so wont pay the price. Its trying to do too much, pushing up the price for needless features

shawty
26-01-2007, 23:42
Which is why it will fail, people think the playstation 3 as a games console, they dont need blue ray so wont pay the price. Its trying to do too much, pushing up the price for needless features

Plenty of people have bought it so far, selling more at launch than the PS2 and almost nearly more than the Xbox 360.

Damien
26-01-2007, 23:46
[Plenty of people have bought it so far, selling more at launch than the PS2 and almost nearly more than the Xbox 360.

5 years ago, really means nothing. 360 had supply problems until April, although it still outsold it.

shawty
26-01-2007, 23:52

5 years ago, really means nothing. 360 had supply problems until April, although it still outsold it.

It doesnt matter if it was 20 years ago, its still a gaming console which has sold more at launch than its 'older brother', which means one thing, the PS3 is more popular at launch than the PS2 was. You could argue that the PS3 has more compertion this generation to. Yes it still outsold it because it launched worldwide.

Damien
27-01-2007, 00:39
It doesnt matter if it was 20 years ago, its still a gaming console which has sold more at launch than its 'older brother', which means one thing, the PS3 is more popular at launch than the PS2 was. You could argue that the PS3 has more compertion this generation to. Yes it still outsold it because it launched worldwide.Well no, Proper launch figures are usually taken into account after the window is complete. This is usually when demand settles down and stock becomes common place. For the Xbox this did not happen till April, the PS3 it was earier. But you cant really compare them.

You keep saying its more popular than the PS2 because it sold more units. This is not a correct measure of success, its not units sold that matters, its market share.

I.E

10 people walk into Game. 4 of them buy a Playstation 2, 3 of them a Gamecube, 3 of them a Xbox.

Next day:

100 people walk into game, 20 of them buy a PS3, 50 of them a Wii, 30 of them an Xbox.

Now Sony will say they sold over 4 times as many PS3's and hence the hype begins and people can say "It sold more units than the PS2!". Great. But really the market has expanded so the amount of console buyers getting a Playstation fell from 40% to 20%. While the rivals did much better!

So, yes, it really does not matter how many units were sold because consoles sales overall are WAY up on 5 years ago. Mid-way though the last generation the sales shot up with the GTA games, the Xbox and the DS.

Even the Gamecube, which was a failure lets face it, sold more than the N64 which sold more than the SNES. Both of which were successful consoles.

shawty
27-01-2007, 00:53
Well no, Proper launch figures are usually taken into account after the window is complete. This is usually when demand settles down and stock becomes common place. For the Xbox this did not happen till April, the PS3 it was earier. But you cant really compare them.

You keep saying its more popular than the PS2 because it sold more units. This is not a correct measure of success, its not units sold that matters, its market share.

I.E

10 people walk into Game. 4 of them buy a Playstation 2, 3 of them a Gamecube, 3 of them a Xbox.

Next day:

100 people walk into game, 20 of them buy a PS3, 50 of them a Wii, 30 of them an Xbox.

Now Sony will say they sold over 4 times as many PS3's and hence the hype begins and people can say "It sold more units than the PS2!". Great. But really the market has expanded so the amount of console buyers getting a Playstation fell from 40% to 20%. While the rivals did much better!

So, yes, it really does not matter how many units were sold because consoles sales overall are WAY up on 5 years ago. Mid-way though the last generation the sales shot up with the GTA games, the Xbox and the DS.

Even the Gamecube, which was a failure lets face it, sold more than the N64 which sold more than the SNES. Both of which were successful consoles.

If the PS2 sells 1 million at launch, then the PS3 sells 1.5 million at launch ( not actual figures ) that means that the PS3 is on target to do as well if not better than the PS2 did, which went on to win the console wars. Im not saying the PS3 is going to win im saying it is on target with how well the PS2 did and that can not be denied and has to be taken into account. Also the fact remains the PS3 nearly beat the 360 launch while Sony had shortages themselves and not launching worldwide. Like i keep saying come back in April and we will see what the figures are like then and if they are no better then something is up. Just to repeat im not fanboy, i love all 3 next gen consoles all though i down own them i have played on them. The only game i really play now is black hawk down on the pc and i play it online. That was made in 2003 and is full of glitches and obviously not up to standered in graphics as games are today. But im sick of people saying stuff thats not actually true about a console that im going to buy in the future.

Damien
27-01-2007, 00:58
Now, this is important because developers look at market share when deciding when to develop. They work out how many consoles are out in the market, and what percentage of them would buy the game.

Next Gen game development is extreamly expensive. At the moment Sony have 7% of the market. This is not at all good. If you need a 1 million games shipped to make a profit and only 1,300,000 consoles are out there you will lose money. To make matters worse the PS3 is much more difficult to develop for while the xbox has XNA and Nintendo is always easy todevelop for because of the low costs (not too powerful console, wii games cost as much as gamecube games to make almost, so for developers its easy money, especially when you look at that high market share).

You can keep saying the PS3 sold more than the PS2 but that stat is so useless its untrue.

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

If the PS2 sells 1 million at launch, then the PS3 sells 1.5 million at launch ( not actual figures ) that means that the PS3 is on target to do as well if not better than the PS2 did, which went on to win the console wars. Im not saying the PS3 is going to win im saying it is on target with how well the PS2 did and that can not be denied and has to be taken into account. Also the fact remains the PS3 nearly beat the 360 launch while Sony had shortages themselves and not launching worldwide. Like i keep saying come back in April and we will see what the figures are like then and if they are no better then something is up. Just to repeat im not fanboy, i love all 3 next gen consoles all though i down own them i have played on them. The only game i really play now is black hawk down on the pc and i play it online. That was made in 2003 and is full of glitches and obviously not up to standered in graphics as games are today. But im sick of people saying stuff thats not actually true about a console that im going to buy in the future.

Unit solds is not a measure of success when the figures you are using are 5 years out of date. This is why market share exists. When the market expands you need to see how well your really doing! Every console outsells the one before, but many fail.

Dont take it personally and repeat sony press statements. I am not a fanboy for any console, what I am saying it what i see. Xbox had massive shortages, while the PS3 never really sold out.

Sony need to get to 5 million by April beat the xbox. They are at 1.3million. Europe needs to but 4x the amount america and japan did.

See you in April.

I use a mac, i have no reason to like the xbox if it wasnt for the fact its a good console (or at least better than PS3).

Tezcatlipoca
27-01-2007, 01:02
Why not? First of all its the cheapest blu-ray player on the market and also, price wise comparible to the HD DVD players on the market. Secondly There is 2 games and 1 demo ( Motorstorm, F1 and GTHD ) which are as graphically good as Gears of war ( which is the Xbox 360 most good looking game at the moment ) Thirdly the internet ( all be it not as many features as Xbox Live ) is free to play online. fourthly, Bigger HDD and memory card reader. I like all 3 consoles, to have to come on a forum and say stuff like that is nonesense.

Cheapest Blu-ray player....true. But what if you don't give a damn about Blu-ray? Why pay over the odds for a console just because it can play BDs?

2 games & 1 demo graphically as good as Gears.... fair enough, pity the launch line up is still crap though.

PlaystationNetwork... free, yes. Good? Not from what I've read...

Memory card reader...handy, but hardly a major selling point.

Bigger HDD...well, it needs one as there's no streaming AFAIK. And all MS have to do is release a bigger HDD for the 360, not exactly difficult.

The PS3 is not worth buying, not at launch, not for a console. Maybe if/when they bring out some truly next-gen games, which are actually good, & if the price gets cut.

If all you want is something to play BDs then fair enough - it's much cheaper than standalones. But something for games? Nope.

(snip)

Mmmm, pie..........

Interesting chart. What market is it for, & what's the source?

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:05
Now, this is important because developers look at market share when deciding when to develop. They work out how many consoles are out in the market, and what percentage of them would buy the game.

Next Gen game development is extreamly expensive. At the moment Sony have 7% of the market. This is not at all good. If you need a 1 million games shipped to make a profit and only 1,300,000 consoles are out there you will lose money. To make matters worse the PS3 is much more difficult to develop for while the xbox has XNA and Nintendo is always easy todevelop for because of the low costs (not too powerful console, wii games cost as much as gamecube games to make almost, so for developers its easy money, especially when you look at that high market share).

You can keep saying the PS3 sold more than the PS2 but that stat is so useless its untrue.

Its not useless at all.

First of all take the Wii out of the equation, because devs are going to want to develop for the most advanced consoles which leaves the 360 and PS3. Obviously the 360 is in the lead its been out over a year.

Really, we had all this 6 years ago when the PS2 launched, expensive, hard to develop for, fanboys ( not saying you are) stating one is going to win over the other because of this and that. This is nothing new, the PS3 is selling fine and is on traget to reach were Microsoft are now with over 10 million units. Plus the fact if you need to sell 1 million copies of a game to make a profit and there is only 1.3 million PS3 so you will lose money, is simply a false statement, due to the fact the game will be available to 10m, 20m, 60m consoles at the end of the current gen. Thats where the money comes from.

Damien
27-01-2007, 01:09

Worldwide console sales for the next gen from nexgenwars.com. Whos figures are pretty much on key.

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Its not useless at all.

First of all take the Wii out of the equation, because devs are going to want to develop for the most advanced consoles which leaves the 360 and PS3. Obviously the 360 is in the lead its been out over a year.

Really, we had all this 6 years ago when the PS2 launched, expensive, hard to develop for, fanboys ( not saying you are) stating one is going to win over the other because of this and that. This is nothing new, the PS3 is selling fine and is on traget to reach were Microsoft are now with over 10 million units. Plus the fact if you need to sell 1 million copies of a game to make a profit and there is only 1.3 million PS3 so you will lose money, is simply a false statement, due to the fact the game will be available to 10m, 20m, 60m consoles at the end of the current gen. Thats where the money comes from.

Well lets not take Wii out of it because developers want to make money. But its a different market. So fine.

The PS3 needs to get a higher market share to be successful. I dont want a MS monopoly on consoles as well but Sony have priced me and many others out of their latest offering. So its going to be hard to get it back

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:12
Cheapest Blu-ray player....true. But what if you don't give a damn about Blu-ray? Why pay over the odds for a console just because it can play BDs?

2 games & 1 demo graphically as good as Gears.... fair enough, pity the launch line up is still crap though.

PlaystationNetwork... free, yes. Good? Not from what I've read...

Memory card reader...handy, but hardly a major selling point.

Bigger HDD...well, it needs one as there's no streaming AFAIK. And all MS have to do is release a bigger HDD for the 360, not exactly difficult.

The PS3 is not worth buying, not at launch, not for a console. Maybe if/when they bring out some truly next-gen games, which are actually good, & if the price gets cut.

If all you want is something to play BDs then fair enough - it's much cheaper than standalones. But something for games? Nope.

Mmmm, pie..........

Was the Xbox 360 worth getting at launch then, no. It works the same both ways. Ive never actually got a console at launch, but its not worthless to the people getting it at launch.

Damien
27-01-2007, 01:13
Ironically, I might have got a PS3 if the price was £300. Since Microsoft decides to tie everything into windows and only ship with a 20gb HD

And not have wireless built in which really really annoys me

Tezcatlipoca
27-01-2007, 01:13
Its not useless at all.

Surely they're gonna want to develop for:

- What's cheapest & easiest to develop for.

- What has the biggest share, & so has the most guarantee of them making a profit.

I'd say the Wii fits point 1, while the 360 fits point 2, & part-fits point 1.

The PS3 however, harder to develop for, more expensive to develop for, & fewer units out there (at the moment) so fewer games would be sold.

Apart from a small number of exclusives (MGS, Sony 1st party stuff, etc.), I'd bet that most games on the PS3 will be multiformat, & that the primary platform they'd be developed for would actually be the 360 (cheaper, easier, more units out there), with the PS3 versions just ports.

The Cell really is meant to be an utter **** to code for...more than the Emotion Engine was... and remember just how bloody long it took for there to be any truly decent PS2 games after launch........

Also: Remember the last generation........ PS2 had a nice big headstart over the Xbox & the GameCube, while it's early competition, the Dreamcast, died an early death. This time around it's different, the PS3 is out last, & costs loads more....................

Damien
27-01-2007, 01:19
Good points Matt.

It boils down to Sony playing catch up with a more expensive console, with the redeeming feature to be the Blu-Ray drive, which is not a killer feature.

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:21
Worldwide console sales for the next gen from nexgenwars.com. Whos figures are pretty much on key.

---------- Post added at 01:09 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

Well lets not take Wii out of it because developers want to make money. But its a different market. So fine.

The PS3 needs to get a higher market share to be successful. I dont want a MS monopoly on consoles as well but Sony have priced me and many others out of their latest offering. So its going to be hard to get it back

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164714.html?tag=latestnews;title;0
http://nexgenwars.com/

Well according to that they aint.

Damien
27-01-2007, 01:23
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164714.html?tag=latestnews;title;0
http://nexgenwars.com/

Well according to that they aint.

Those are 8th of December to 31st of December figures.

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:24
Surely they're gonna want to develop for:

- What's cheapest & easiest to develop for.

- What has the biggest share, & so has the most guarantee of them making a profit.

I'd say the Wii fits point 1, while the 360 fits point 2, & part-fits point 1.

The PS3 however, harder to develop for, more expensive to develop for, & fewer units out there (at the moment) so fewer games would be sold.

Apart from a small number of exclusives (MGS, Sony 1st party stuff, etc.), I'd bet that most games on the PS3 will be multiformat, & that the primary platform they'd be developed for would actually be the 360 (cheaper, easier, more units out there), with the PS3 versions just ports.

The Cell really is meant to be an utter **** to code for...more than the Emotion Engine was... and remember just how bloody long it took for there to be any truly decent PS2 games after launch........

Also: Remember the last generation........ PS2 had a nice big headstart over the Xbox & the GameCube, while it's early competition, the Dreamcast, died an early death. This time around it's different, the PS3 is out last, & costs loads more....................

Good points. We are going round in circles though so i may aswel pull out.

Tezcatlipoca
27-01-2007, 01:28
Was the Xbox 360 worth getting at launch then, no. It works the same both ways. Ive never actually got a console at launch, but its not worthless to the people getting it at launch.

I think it was worth it. Much cheaper than a PS3, & while it wasn't drowning in top-notch games at launch, there were some excellent ones (such as PGR3), while it wasn't long before the next wave.

It's the one of the only ones I've ever got at launch, actually. I waited over 6 months for the first Xbox, around the same for the Cube, longer than that for the N64. Think I might have got my DC fairly early. Oh, & my Jaguar :erm:

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:34
Those are 8th of December to 31st of December figures.

Have you got a link for that because i cant find one? Also nextgen wars has been showing 4m+ for a good few weeks now.

Damien
27-01-2007, 01:36
Have you got a link for that because i cant find one? Also nextgen wars has been showing 4m+ for a good few weeks now.

The article mentions its 2006 figures.

shawty
27-01-2007, 01:50

The article mentions its 2006 figures.

All it mentions is this.

"The company claimed that it had sold 3.19 million Wiis worldwide--falling short of its promised supply of 4 million (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6160829.html) by the end of 2006"

It does not mention that they had sold 3.19 million at the end of 2006 it just states they fell short of the 4 million by 2006.

Downloads
27-01-2007, 09:01
It doesnt matter if it was 20 years ago, its still a gaming console which has sold more at launch than its 'older brother', which means one thing, the PS3 is more popular at launch than the PS2 was. You could argue that the PS3 has more compertion this generation to. Yes it still outsold it because it launched worldwide.

I think as an analyst i am qualified enough to pass comment.

There is no statistical significance to Sony's figures. Without producing enough consoles to meet demand it can't be said that one console was more popular than the other at launch.

'Statistics', Lies and Damned Lies

Sony could produce one extra console year on year at a new launch and they would sell the extra one console easily.

So for example. In 1995 they create 999,999 consoles at lunch worldwide, all of them sell. In 2000 they created 1,000,000 consoles at launch, all of them sell, and they say it was more popular at launch than the Previous console. In 2005 they create 1,000,001 consoles and they all sell of course because demand still outstrips supply at all console launches. Now i know the figures are tight and this isn't real, but guaranteed when the PS4 is created they will make more at launch than they did the PS3 and say it was more popular at launch once again.

Can Sony use these figures to back up what they say? Of course they can. Does what they say mean anything or have any significance? No.

Damien
27-01-2007, 09:17

All it mentions is this.

"The company claimed that it had sold 3.19 million Wiis worldwide--falling short of its promised supply of 4 million (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6160829.html) by the end of 2006"

It does not mention that they had sold 3.19 million at the end of 2006 it just states they fell short of the 4 million by 2006.

Well the Wii continues to sell out and and they are coming at the same rate, so if it was 3.19 million by the end of december, I think they are likely to be at 4/5 million by now.

Either way, good to see Nintendo do well

shawty
27-01-2007, 13:01
Well the Wii continues to sell out and and they are coming at the same rate, so if it was 3.19 million by the end of december, I think they are likely to be at 4/5 million by now.

Either way, good to see Nintendo do well

But you have no facts to back it up. They have simply said they have sold 3.19 million consoles falling short of there eistimated 4 million they were suposed to te sell in 2006. For all we know they could of sold 3.19 million when the report was produced. It alsways puts nextgenwars.com in to touch because they have had the wii at over 4 million for a good few weeks now anyway.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

I think as an analyst i am qualified enough to pass comment.

There is no statistical significance to Sony's figures. Without producing enough consoles to meet demand it can't be said that one console was more popular than the other at launch.

'Statistics', Lies and Damned Lies

Sony could produce one extra console year on year at a new launch and they would sell the extra one console easily.

So for example. In 1995 they create 999,999 consoles at lunch worldwide, all of them sell. In 2000 they created 1,000,000 consoles at launch, all of them sell, and they say it was more popular at launch than the Previous console. In 2005 they create 1,000,001 consoles and they all sell of course because demand still outstrips supply at all console launches. Now i know the figures are tight and this isn't real, but guaranteed when the PS4 is created they will make more at launch than they did the PS3 and say it was more popular at launch once again.

Can Sony use these figures to back up what they say? Of course they can. Does what they say mean anything or have any significance? No.

Yes and thats why some analysts also say Sony are going to win the console war again. Cant you grasp the simple fact that if the PS3 has sold more than the PS2 its done well at launch even though its had supply issues at the begining. Like i said earlier the PS3 has had a tougher launch than the PS2 did so it is in line to do quite well. Add to that the PS3 sold just about the same at launch than the 360 did and you have a console thats on target to be at the stage Microsoft are now in the same timeframe.

Downloads
27-01-2007, 13:28
But you have no facts to back it up. They have simply said they have sold 3.19 million consoles falling short of there eistimated 4 million they were suposed to te sell in 2006. For all we know they could of sold 3.19 million when the report was produced. It alsways puts nextgenwars.com in to touch because they have had the wii at over 4 million for a good few weeks now anyway.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Yes and thats why some analysts also say Sony are going to win the console war again. Cant you grasp the simple fact that if the PS3 has sold more than the PS2 its done well at launch even though its had supply issues at the begining. Like i said earlier the PS3 has had a tougher launch than the PS2 did so it is in line to do quite well. Add to that the PS3 sold just about the same at launch than the 360 did and you have a console thats on target to be at the stage Microsoft are now in the same timeframe.

I think you missed the point of what i was saying. It's irrelevant how many were sold on launch. Demand will always outstrip supply on launch day.

You can only determine how well a console is doing by looking how many are sold after a year and then every year on year after that.

Microsoft did 10mil, i think it's fairly safe to assume the Wii will replicate that, and i hope Sony do 10 too. I want the console to suceed. It's never good to only have 1 or 2 big players in the arena. That's why i'm glad Ninty are back in it. Having 3 options keeps competition up.

shawty
27-01-2007, 13:39
I think you missed the point of what i was saying. It's irrelevant how many were sold on launch. Demand will always outstrip supply on launch day.

You can only determine how well a console is doing by looking how many are sold after a year and then every year on year after that.

Microsoft did 10mil, i think it's fairly safe to assume the Wii will replicate that, and i hope Sony do 10 too. I want the console to suceed. It's never good to only have 1 or 2 big players in the arena. That's why i'm glad Ninty are back in it. Having 3 options keeps competition up.

I know what your saying but if the PS2 sold 1 million on its launch window and the PS3 sold 1.5 million on its launch window ( not actualt figures ) then its a good indication that the PS3 is going in the right direction like the PS2 did. If you want to forget about that then i will leave it. But then you come to the 360 launch and the PS3 sold about the same and is on target now to be at the same as the 360 is now. Which ever way you look at it, its doing no worse than the 360.

Damien
27-01-2007, 14:15
I know what your saying but if the PS2 sold 1 million on its launch window and the PS3 sold 1.5 million on its launch window ( not actualt figures ) then its a good indication that the PS3 is going in the right direction like the PS2 did. If you want to forget about that then i will leave it. But then you come to the 360 launch and the PS3 sold about the same and is on target now to be at the same as the 360 is now. Which ever way you look at it, its doing no worse than the 360.

:rolleyes:

You still are not listaining. It really does not matter how many units are sold, it is a different market. Success is not measured by how many PS2's were sold but rather the massive amount they had compared to the others. Which is why they had so many exclusives and so many games.

Gamecube was less successful than N64 but it sold much more, by your logic the gamecube was successful.

Btw, Downloads is pointing out that the 360 has limited supply which is not a problem the PS3 has since its not selling out. Therefor saying it is selling almost as much as the 360 is mute since at this point last year there were still many people wanting one

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

Either way, I do hope Sony drop the price then I might consider getting one. I am just glad Nintendo have been successful and are a big player again.

shawty
27-01-2007, 14:19
:rolleyes:

You still are not listaining. It really does not matter how many units are sold, it is a different market. Success is not measured by how many PS2's were sold but rather the massive amount they had compared to the others. Which is why they had so many exclusives and so many games.

Gamecube was less successful than N64 but it sold much more, by your logic the gamecube was successful.

Btw, Downloads is pointing out that the 360 has limited supply which is not a problem the PS3 has since its not selling out. Therefor saying it is selling almost as much as the 360 is mute since at this point last year there were still many people wanting one

Nothing is mute. Because the PS3 is on target with were the 360 is now. This is due to strong sales at launch which im compatring to the PS2 which it beat and also the 360 which it tied or came close to. If you want to argue that point then you could also say the PS3 has not yet launched in Europe so a lot of people still wanting one. Regardless of what way you look at it the PS3 is about equal sales wise with the 360. Doesnt matter how many reports you hear about it not selling well the facts and figures are out there.

Gareth
27-01-2007, 19:05
The facts and figures are out there that show that many bricks-and-mortar stores have them sitting on shelves, both in Japan and the US.

I don't know if the PS3 has equalled the number of 360s that were sold after 2 months - got any figures to back up this claim? However, I do know that 360s were still sought after 2 months after they were released, which is something that you can't necessarily say for the PS3, as the fact they're still sitting on shelves in Japan/US demonstrates this.

shawty
27-01-2007, 19:27
The facts and figures are out there that show that many bricks-and-mortar stores have them sitting on shelves, both in Japan and the US.

I don't know if the PS3 has equalled the number of 360s that were sold after 2 months - got any figures to back up this claim? However, I do know that 360s were still sought after 2 months after they were released, which is something that you can't necessarily say for the PS3, as the fact they're still sitting on shelves in Japan/US demonstrates this.

Because the Xbox 360 had a bismal launch with not many consoles availble at launch.

From wikipedia.

"Because of a manufacturing bottleneck for having started the massive manufacturing only 69 days before launching,[73] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#_note-bottleneck) Microsoft was not able to supply enough systems to meet initial consumer demand in Europe or North America.[74] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#_note-bbc-soldout) Many potential customers were not able to purchase a console at launch and the lack of availability led to Xbox 360 bundles selling on eBay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay) at grossly inflated prices, with some auctions exceeding US$6,000. It was reported that 40,000 units appeared on eBay during the initial month of release, which would mean that 10% of the total supply was resold on eBay alone.[75] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#_note-52) By year's end, Microsoft had sold 1.5 million units; including 900,000 in North America, 500,000 in Europe, and 100,000 in Japan"

PS3 had early shortages, this was the reason behind delaying Europe launch which means the PS3 was not far behind Xbox 360 launch. Both had Bismal launches with amount of consoles entially for sale. Its just that the 360 launched worldwide so never had many consoles for worldwide and PS3 launched NA and Japan and never had enough for them but they also didnt need to supply Europe at the same time.

Gareth
27-01-2007, 22:40
The difference is that Sony can meet demand as there are still consoles sat on shelves only 2 months after launch. Two months after the 360 was launched there were still problems getting hold of them. Peter Moore was saying for months how they couldn't make them fast enough... that's not something Ken Kutugari can get away with.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

ps - I'm only interested in the number sold not shipped. According to reports Sony may have shipped as many as MS but MS, crucially, sold all that they shipped unlike Sony.

Stuart
27-01-2007, 22:46

I doubt it. If the PS3 suceeds, it won't be due to massive processor power or good graphics. From what I have seen it doesn't seem to have enough of an advantage over the 360 in terms of raw power for that to make a lot of difference. Certainly not enough to justify 2 or 3 times the price.

If Blu-Ray suceeds (and that is by no means definate), then PS3 MAY suceed, but only if dedicated blu-ray players aren't considerably cheaper.

The Xbox has two advantages: It has been out a while, so has a ready supply of games, and it also has a ready supply of High Definition movies.

Remember back in the 80's, Sony backed Betamax against the technically inferior, but already established VHS. Guess which won?

shawty
27-01-2007, 22:50
The difference is that Sony can meet demand as there are still consoles sat on shelves only 2 months after launch. Two months after the 360 was launched there were still problems getting hold of them. Peter Moore was saying for months how they couldn't make them fast enough... that's not something Ken Kutugari can get away with.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

ps - I'm only interested in the number sold not shipped. According to reports Sony may have shipped as many as MS but MS, crucially, sold all that they shipped unlike Sony.

First of you have got to understand that Microsoft sold all the Xbox 360 because there was not many of them at all at the launch window. This was due to them not manufacturing enough to meet demand of a world wide launch. Sony nearly sold the same amount in the same amount of time by only selling to NA and Japan. This is because they never had enough for launch. Yes they are now some sitting on the shelves but the overall sales were similar. Overall this leads Sony to be on target to rech the sales Microsoft are at now.

Damien
27-01-2007, 22:53
I also have it on good sources, that Sony kill a kitten for every PS3 sold.

shawty
27-01-2007, 22:55
I doubt it. If the PS3 suceeds, it won't be due to massive processor power or good graphics. From what I have seen it doesn't seem to have enough of an advantage over the 360 in terms of raw power for that to make a lot of difference. Certainly not enough to justify 2 or 3 times the price.

If Blu-Ray suceeds (and that is by no means definate), then PS3 MAY suceed, but only if dedicated blu-ray players aren't considerably cheaper.

The Xbox has two advantages: It has been out a while, so has a ready supply of games, and it also has a ready supply of High Definition movies.

Remember back in the 80's, Sony backed Betamax against the technically inferior, but already established VHS. Guess which won?

Apprently you cant use HD movies to win arguements for consoles. Even so the PS3 has equally the same amount of HD movies available. And dont forget the movies are only available to the 360 if you buy the HD-DVD add on drive bringing the price up to near enough the same of the PS3. Regarding your other points then your right. But just to add that F1, Motorstorm and GTHD are equally as good graphics wise to Gears of war.

Alanmelon
27-01-2007, 22:57
Regardless of all these confusing stats and maybes, it seems that wherever I look there are people slagging off the PS3 in terms of it's price, ease of programming for etc. It seems that there's a huge backlash against Sony at the moment, and if that opinion is reflected in buying trends of the public at large, I think Sony will have a bit of a disappointment.

Stuart
27-01-2007, 22:59
Sales of PS3 Slow: http://www.betanews.com/article/PS3_Sales_in_Japan_Fall_49_Percent/1164989185

Sales of all new consoles slow: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164439.html?sid=6164439&sid=6164439&part=rss&subj=6164439

Wii outselling PS3: http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6164439.html?sid=6164439&sid=6164439&part=rss&subj=6164439

IDC says PS3 sales figures not good: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22215

Damien
27-01-2007, 22:59
Apprently you cant use HD movies to win arguements for consoles. Even so the PS3 has equally the same amount of HD movies available. And dont forget the movies are only available to the 360 if you buy the HD-DVD add on drive bringing the price up to near enough the same of the PS3. Regarding your other points then your right. But just to add that F1, Motorstorm and GTHD are equally as good graphics wise to Gears of war.

This is true :tu: Not to mention you dont get wireless built in with the 360.

Although you do have the choice not to have the console price jacked up because of the HD-DVD. Most people dont want that which leaves a high price

zing_deleted
27-01-2007, 23:01
And the HD DVD drive works on your PCs as long as you have xp or vista

Stuart
27-01-2007, 23:04

You sure? I've seen HD-DVDs in my local HMV. Don't know of any stores selling Blu-Ray discs.

My point is that a sizable portion of Sony's target market probably already have 360s, so HD movies for them will be a lot cheaper.

I'm not criticising the PS3 at all, but it's at least twice the price of the 360. Having graphics as good as the 360 won't sell consoles.

shawty
27-01-2007, 23:38
You sure? I've seen HD-DVDs in my local HMV. Don't know of any stores selling Blu-Ray discs.

My point is that a sizable portion of Sony's target market probably already have 360s, so HD movies for them will be a lot cheaper.

I'm not criticising the PS3 at all, but it's at least twice the price of the 360. Having graphics as good as the 360 won't sell consoles.

First of all HMV sell blu-ray aswel as HD DVDs.

Where does that logic come from, every PS3 owner has the potential to be able to play blu ray discs. This does not work for 360 because they need to buy the add-on. This brings the amount they spent on a console up to the same price as the PS3. How does this make HD movies cheaper? Its twice the price because 1) its brand new and 2) its not just a games console its a HD drive also. There is an option, if you just want a console then you want Microsoft. If you want a console with HD drive then you want PS3. This is were the arguement comes in of who is going to win. Thats why earlier i said thats come back in April after the Europe launch and have a look at the figures, games and HD movies then so we can see how its going.

I can get hostel on blu-ray for £9.99 which is an amazing price. Not saying that HD DVD prices aint amazing i was just giving you the link to show you that you can get blu ray.

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=-1;12;-1;-1&sku=547205

On closer inspection of HMV, there is more Blu ray for sale (60) than HD DVD (57) with 19 coming soon for Blu ray and 9 coming soon for HD DVD. Well at least online thats true. But i have seen Blu ray in HMV shops.

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

How would this game work does anyone know

http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/sim/trainsimulatoronline/screenindex.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage

Because obviously thats real life, with the inside of the train looking computer generated.

Stuart
28-01-2007, 00:06
TBH, nobody knows for sure how the PS3 will sell. Sony (obviously) think it will suceed, but, apart from the Playstation 1 and 2, don't have a 100% record on predicting what will sell well (I've already mentioned Betamax, but Minidisc and the PSP spring to mind as well).

As for whether Blu-ray will help sell consoles (which Sony appear to be banking on)? It might. If it takes of, and if no-one releases a blu-ray DVD drive or player that is cheaper. After all if Blu-ray takes off, I'd lay odds that Microsoft will release a drive for the Xbox, and there are already PC blu-ray drives.

Technically, at least, the Wii isn't in the same league as either the Xbox or PS3, but it could sell well (and seems to be outselling both the PS3 and Xbox ATM) purely because it is fun.

Damien
28-01-2007, 00:07
Where does that logic come from, every PS3 owner has the potential to be able to play blu ray discs. This does not work for 360 because they need to buy the add-on. This brings the amount they spent on a console up to the same price as the PS3. How does this make HD movies cheaper? Its twice the price because 1) its brand new and 2) its not just a games console its a HD drive also. There is an option, if you just want a console then you want Microsoft. If you want a console with HD drive then you want PS3. This is were the arguement comes in of who is going to win. Thats why earlier i said thats come back in April after the Europe launch and have a look at the figures, games and HD movies then so we can see how its going.

Exactly, If you want a console, then xbox has a advanatge. At the moment thats what most people want. Blu-Ray is not a major concern for people, especially as they do not want to replace their dvd collections

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:13
Exactly, If you want a console, then xbox has a advanatge. At the moment thats what most people want. Blu-Ray is not a major concern for people, especially as they do not want to replace their dvd collections

If thats what you think then fine. But thats last bit is nonesense, you dont have to replace your dvds, you just start collecting blu rays and HD DVDs.

zing_deleted
28-01-2007, 00:15
Best thing to do is nothing until you knwo what format is going to win. Im not gonna be buying a HD tv until they can upscale properly or there is enough content broadcast so im certainly not bothered about blu ray or hd

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:17
Best thing to do is nothing until you knwo what format is going to win. Im not gonna be buying a HD tv until they can upscale properly or there is enough content broadcast so im certainly not bothered about blu ray or hd

I thought most HD tvs could upscale properly?

zing_deleted
28-01-2007, 00:18
nah now who is being silly

Which magazine resently did a report clearly stating SD tv was best viewed on a CRT. They said some are good at it but these are all in the silly money ranges the newest of the Bravia doing the best.

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:20
nah now who is being silly

Well please explain.

I would point you to thias then, http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SHA-LC37XD1E.htm

Apprently the SD pictures on this TV are great from people who own the tv over at the av forums. And it is a great price for a 1080p tv. Was £999 around xmas time.

zing_deleted
28-01-2007, 00:30
Ive sat in front of HD tvs correctly set up one of which was a 40 inch Bravia and I simply wouldnt want to watch tv that poor quality. Cheaper lcd tvs in the 37 plus range look bloody awful when watching SD.Once their is content ill buy one until there is I wont cuz its still a developing technology and its not right yet and im not a console gamer so I cant even benefit from that. (edited to get on topic)

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Well please explain.

I would point you to thias then, http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SHA-LC37XD1E.htm

Apprently the SD pictures on this TV are great from people who own the tv over at the av forums. And it is a great price for a 1080p tv. Was £999 around xmas time.

Sharps a budget brand there is no way ill be chucking a grand on a sharp.

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:31
Ive sat in front of HD tvs correctly set up one of which was a 40 inch Bravia and I simply wouldnt want to watch tv that poor quality. Cheaper lcd tvs in the 37 plus range look bloody awful when watching SD.Once their is content ill buy one until there is I wont cuz its still a developing technology and its not right yet and im not a console gamer so I cant even benefit from that. (edited to get on topic)

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:25 ----------

Sharps a budget brand there is no way ill be chucking a grand on a sharp.

More fool you then because its one of the best HD tvs out at the moment. And actually i think you will find sharp are not a budget brand.

zing_deleted
28-01-2007, 00:33
:notopic: mate and I just disagree

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:39
:notopic: mate and I just disagree
Well the PS3 is HD, which puts the price up of the console, which means to get he best out of the console you need an HD tv. Yes a bit of topic maybe but its 12.30am and its not like we are really disrupting the thread there is hardly anyone posting in it. Why do you disagree though? Its been shown that this TV produces great SD pictures aswel as HD movies and gaming. The only thing is it only aacepts 1080p through HDMI. I dont see why you disagree with that unless your waiting for 1080p sets to be affordable to you? But for just over a grand its a great piece of kit.

Stuart
28-01-2007, 00:46
Guys, the subject is the PS3. Yes, you need an HDTV to get the best out of it, but can we get back to the PS3?

zing_deleted
28-01-2007, 00:49
Blu Ray is to expensive developement costs for blu ray media are higher than HD this has pushed the cost of the console up it will also push the price of the media up also. The chances of all the movie studios to release blu ray media are slim at present as a whole new facility will need to be introduced HD DVD media development is a lot cheaper. Just by choosing a console I imagine will not make much of a difference as console owners although high in number are relatively low when you think of the whole of the movie viewing public. Take up of this technology will be slow specially blu ray because of the costs involved at the moment so imo all these technologies are in their infancy couple that with a serious lack of HD tv content and the rate technology developes by the time either blu ray or hd becomes beta max or their is a lot of content viewable much better tvs will be available for the same price, So ill wait until the format war is over and plenty of hd content available to me then ill invest in a tv 2 maybe 3 years more advanced and get the most out of it because it will all be sorted

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:48 ----------

Guys, the subject is the PS3. Yes, you need an HDTV to get the best out of it, but can we get back to the PS3?

sorry I was posting whilst you was. Blu ray is an integral part of the PS3 so maybe you could let this one slide ;)

shawty
28-01-2007, 00:53
Blu Ray is to expensive developement costs for blu ray media are higher than HD this has pushed the cost of the console up it will also push the price of the media up also. The chances of all the movie studios to release blu ray media are slim at present as a whole new facility will need to be introduced HD DVD media development is a lot cheaper. Just by choosing a console I imagine will not make much of a difference as console owners although high in number are relatively low when you think of the whole of the movie viewing public. Take up of this technology will be slow specially blu ray because of the costs involved at the moment so imo all these technologies are in their infancy couple that with a serious lack of HD tv content and the rate technology developes by the time either blu ray or hd becomes beta max or their is a lot of content viewable much better tvs will be available for the same price, So ill wait until the format war is over and plenty of hd content available to me then ill invest in a tv 2 maybe 3 years more advanced and get the most out of it because it will all be sorted

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:48 ----------

sorry I was posting whilst you was. Blu ray is an integral part of the PS3 so maybe you could let this one slide ;)

Well fair enough but i think you will find that ( in hmv anyway ) there is more blu ray titles and more blu ray titles coming soon.

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:51 ----------

Oh come on its nearly 1 in the morning and only me and him posting. Its not like we are disrupting anyone. And it directly links into the PS3. Anyway this forum is about the PS3 so why hasnt any of the moderators told anyone to get back on topic when we all talk about the 360?

Damien
28-01-2007, 00:54
HD and DVD is the same on both consoles, expect one gives you the choice.

If you want blu-ray get a PS3, if you dont, your gonna be paying over the odds for that feature.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 00:56
Well the PS3 is HD, which puts the price up of the console, which means to get he best out of the console you need an HD tv. Yes a bit of topic maybe but its 12.30am and its not like we are really disrupting the thread there is hardly anyone posting in it. Why do you disagree though? Its been shown that this TV produces great SD pictures aswel as HD movies and gaming. The only thing is it only aacepts 1080p through HDMI. I dont see why you disagree with that unless your waiting for 1080p sets to be affordable to you? But for just over a grand its a great piece of kit.

Well if the PS3 only outputs 1080p through the HDMI what is the point. Most HDTVs only do 720p and 1080i so when watching your Hi-Def Blu Ray movies on a PS3 it will downscale to 480p even if you set the console to a specific res. I have read this on a few sites.

Where as the 360 has its own scaler chip to output what ever resolution you set the console to and even upscaling normal DVDs. Where as Sony left this chip out of the PS3 and it is something that really should have been put in the console.

shawty
28-01-2007, 01:01
Well if the PS3 only outputs 1080p through the HDMI what is the point. Most HDTVs only do 720p and 1080i so when watching your Hi-Def Blu Ray movies on a PS3 it will downscale to 480p even if you set the console to a specific res. I have read this on a few sites.

Where as the 360 has its own scaler chip to output what ever resolution you set the console to and even upscaling normal DVDs. Where as Sony left this chip out of the PS3 and it is something that really should have been put in the console.

Actualy when you say they left it out your just assuming they did. I acctualy read an artical today that states that there is an actual scaler chip in the PS3 but they have only just give the devs the code for it or something along those lines.

The PS3 doesnt just output at 1080p it outputs at them all.

Damien
28-01-2007, 01:03
Actualy when you say they left it out your just assuming they did. I acctualy read an artical today that states that there is an actual scaler chip in the PS3 but they have only just give the devs the code for it or something along those lines.

The PS3 doesnt just output at 1080p it outputs at them all.

I heard its only a software scaler.

But the PS3 does do all formats i think now.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 01:10
Well what is the point in putting it there if it doesn't get used. Even by Sony.

I didn't say it doesn't use the other HD resolutions, gaming wise it does, but apparently when playing Blu Ray if your TV doesn't support 1080p then it will sometimes have trouble displaying see links and read all the comments

http://loot-ninja.com/2006/11/19/ps3-hd-scaling-issues-other-annoyances/

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/02/playstation-3-as-blu-ray-player-how-does-it-rate/

Also found this

http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Bluray_Has_Problems/1136673259

shawty
28-01-2007, 01:17
Well what is the point in putting it there if it doesn't get used. Even by Sony.

I didn't say it doesn't use the other HD resolutions, gaming wise it does, but apparently when playing Blu Ray if your TV doesn't support 1080p then it will sometimes have trouble displaying see links and read all the comments

http://loot-ninja.com/2006/11/19/ps3-hd-scaling-issues-other-annoyances/

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/02/playstation-3-as-blu-ray-player-how-does-it-rate/

Also found this

http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_DVD_Bluray_Has_Problems/1136673259

Know one actually knows how the scaler came about and why it wasnt used to begin with.

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/

Regarding the Blu ray playback (and games) , the only thing i know and understand what was wrong is because the lack of scaler chip anyone with a old HD tv that only accepted 1080i and not 720p if the game was set to play in 720p and not 1080i it would downscale to 480p.

Whatever the problem hopefully they will have it fixed soon. They have just fixed the issue that the PS3 had with playing old PS1 and PS2 games.

Alanmelon
28-01-2007, 01:27
Who cares? Just buy what you want or what you can afford. Shawty, I'm sure you'll be first in the queue for the PS3, I hope you enjoy it. I for one am happy with my 360, and can't see any point in getting a PS3 as well. However, I don't feel the need to argue for the sake of Sony or Microsoft, their multi-million dollar marketing departments have got that one covered.

It's obvious that this thread will go around in circles indefinately. No one can be sure of any outcome for many months, and by the time that becomes apparent we'll all be arguing about Xbox 3 vs Playstation 4 vs Nintendo Bum Crack (or something equally obscure).

shawty
28-01-2007, 01:31
Who cares? Just buy what you want or what you can afford. Shawty, I'm sure you'll be first in the queue for the PS3, I hope you enjoy it. I for one am happy with my 360, and can't see any point in getting a PS3 as well. However, I don't feel the need to argue for the sake of Sony or Microsoft, their multi-million dollar marketing departments have got that one covered.

It's obvious that this thread will go around in circles indefinately. No one can be sure of any outcome for many months, and by the time that becomes apparent we'll all be arguing about Xbox 3 vs Playstation 4 vs Nintendo Bum Crack (or something equally obscure).

I probabally wont be first in queue, ive got better things to be thinking about at the moment regarding money. I origanlly came on here because people were posting stuff as facts that were not actually facts, either they were mis informed or lying. I think its sad to hate any console, its just i like the PS3 more and want it the most and when i see people posting false information about it i correct them with the best of my knowledge.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 01:47
I don't hate any console I have owned every console from the SNES onwards, but with the stuff Sony said the PS2 could do and it ended up not all that, they have done the same thing with the PS3, so I am just going to play my 360, Wii, DS and PSP for the time being.

Even the heads of Microsoft xbox and Sony were slagging each others consoles a few months ago and the Sony comments about the 360 were just pointless and silly.

shawty
28-01-2007, 01:56
I don't hate any console I have owned every console from the SNES onwards, but with the stuff Sony said the PS2 could do and it ended up not all that, they have done the same thing with the PS3, so I am just going to play my 360, Wii, DS and PSP for the time being.

Even the heads of Microsoft xbox and Sony were slagging each others consoles a few months ago and the Sony comments about the 360 were just pointless and silly.

Again this is what im talking about. The stuff Microsoft said the xbox could do which it couldnt. If you are going to compare two companys and only mention what one says make sure you do the same to the other one to.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 02:04
What did Microsoft promise that the 360 couldn't deliver. As far as I am aware they have followed through on everything promised and more due to the updates the keepy releasing. For example adding 1080p support.

Sony said the Cell and Graphics of the PS3 will make it the most impressive amazing conole ever but in reality its not that much more powerful than the 360. They said the same thing about the Emotion engine and that turned out to be a load of guff.

shawty
28-01-2007, 02:06
What did Microsoft promise that the 360 couldn't deliver. As far as I am aware they have followed through on everything promised and more due to the updates the keepy releasing. For example adding 1080p support.

Sony said the Cell and Graphics of the PS3 will make it the most impressive amazing conole ever but in reality its not that much more powerful than the 360. They said the same thing about the Emotion engine and that turned out to be a load of guff.

You actually misread my post, i never mentioned the 360 in that post i just said the xbox.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 02:11
Ok well what did they say that it couldn't do??

shawty
28-01-2007, 02:24
Ok well what did they say that it couldn't do??

Do you remember the toy story graphics claim that evryone thought Sony said. Well it was actually Microsoft.

Microsoft had this to say - http://news.com.com/2100-1040-250632.html

"One of the basic premises of the Xbox is to put the power in the hands of the artist," Blackley said, which is why Xbox developers "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'"

Sony had this to say - http://money.cnn.com/1999/03/01/life/playstation/

PlayStation 2, though, is claiming to be able to handle 50 times more 3-D image data than the Dreamcast, allowing it to create characters similar in appearance to those in the Walt Disney film "Toy Story."

If you read it carefully you will realise it was Microsoft that said it and Sony that said they can create something similar. All though both are lies it was Microsoft that actually stated it but all the blame got put on Sony.

Both companys lie and spin things for there own good. Infact most companys do. But please dont just point one out when the other company is just as bad.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 02:54
So from reading those quotes, Microsoft claimed the xbox would be able to display a lot of visual detail where as Sony claimed the PS2 would be 50 times more powerful than the Dreamcast and characters in-game would look almost as good as Toy story.

For a start I still have my Dreamcast and there are some games which still look better than PS2.

Again Sony are claiming their console was miles better than any other, Microsoft just said that their console can show a lot more detail where as Sony said they can create in-game characters almost as good as Toy Story.

Both totally different claims. Microsoft's more achievable than Sony's.

shawty
28-01-2007, 03:13
So from reading those quotes, Microsoft claimed the xbox would be able to display a lot of visual detail where as Sony claimed the PS2 would be 50 times more powerful than the Dreamcast and characters in-game would look almost as good as Toy story.

For a start I still have my Dreamcast and there are some games which still look better than PS2.

Again Sony are claiming their console was miles better than any other, Microsoft just said that their console can show a lot more detail where as Sony said they can create in-game characters almost as good as Toy Story.

Both totally different claims. Microsoft's more achievable than Sony's.

Microsoft lied ( im not saying Sony never) "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'" That is a lie, no two ways about it.

Bill C
28-01-2007, 16:09
Been reading all this about Sony and the ps3. I don't play consoles being a PC gamer however if i ever went over to the dark side :), Then there is no way i would go Sony. They are not trust worthy anymore after the root kit fiasco and i will never allow anything Sony in my house as a punishment for there blatant lies. I can not trust any piece of kit that is made by Sony that could be connected to a lan. They have deceived everyone once they could do it again. As for consoles i think the shocker is going to be the Nintendo machine. Everyone at work is talking about getting one. However i don't hear everyone talking about the ps3 or xbox360 in the same way.

Stuart
28-01-2007, 16:23
Been reading all this about Sony and the ps3. I don't play consoles being a PC gamer however if i ever went over to the dark side :), Then there is no way i would go Sony. They are not trust worthy anymore after the root kit fiasco and i will never allow anything Sony in my house as a punishment for there blatant lies. I can not trust any piece of kit that is made by Sony that could be connected to a lan. They have deceived everyone once they could do it again. As for consoles i think the shocker is going to be the Nintendo machine. Everyone at work is talking about getting one. However i don't hear everyone talking about the ps3 or xbox360 in the same way.

TBH, I agree.. Going by what my friends have bought or are buying, those who are interested in consoles already have or are looking at 360s or PS3s (well, none have got PS3s, but they are planning to get them). Those who wouldn't normally be interested in consoles (most of my friends) are looking at buying the Wii.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 17:06
Microsoft lied ( im not saying Sony never) "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'" That is a lie, no two ways about it.

Its not really, they were just saying the console can achieve a lot of detail in the games due to the power. Whereas Sony Cleary lied as they said 'Characters that look almsot as good as Toy Story'.

Microsoft never stated the xbox could do Toy Story in Real time just that games could have as much visual detail. It was Sony who stated games would look almost like Toy Story.

shawty
28-01-2007, 17:24
Its not really, they were just saying the console can achieve a lot of detail in the games due to the power. Whereas Sony Cleary lied as they said 'Characters that look almsot as good as Toy Story'.

Microsoft never stated the xbox could do Toy Story in Real time just that games could have as much visual detail. It was Sony who stated games would look almost like Toy Story.

Sony partly said it, it was actually Microsoft who actaullt stated it by saying "are achieving a level of visual detail you really get in 'Toy Story.'" meaning that they are achieving it when clearly whey wernt.
Whatever way you want to look at it, they both lied which what i was getting at. If your going to jump out and attack a company make sure the other rival company hasnt domne the same thing.

Stephen
28-01-2007, 17:37
Well going back to the artical you quoted and said Microsoft lied about the xbox capabilites here is another quote from the same artical

Gates and Seamus Blackley, head of Microsoft's Xbox division, ran demonstrations of several Xbox titles, which featured detailed graphics and smooth animation that looked more like a Disney movie than current video games.

shawty
28-01-2007, 17:53
Well going back to the artical you quoted and said Microsoft lied about the xbox capabilites here is another quote from the same artical

Yeah and the same was done with the PS2, PS3 and xbox. They run demonstrations of what they think the games will look like or what they think they will achieve.

Shadow Demon UK
30-01-2007, 09:47
Japanese electronics giant Sony has unveiled 5.3% a drop in profits, blaming huge losses at its game unit.

Net profits for the three months to 31 December fell to 159.9bn yen ($1.3bn; £669m) from 168.9bn yen last time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6312179.stm

Gareth
30-01-2007, 13:53
Japanese electronics giant Sony has unveiled 5.3% a drop in profits, blaming huge losses at its game unit.

Net profits for the three months to 31 December fell to 159.9bn yen ($1.3bn; £669m) from 168.9bn yen last time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6312179.stmNever mind, at least they sold more PS3s than PS2s.

NEONKNIGHT
30-01-2007, 18:06
Never mind, at least they sold more PS3s than PS2s.

:Sprint:

Gareth
01-02-2007, 22:44
Sony admits demand for PS3 "has subsided a bit"

Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesperson Dave Karraker has told the New York Times that, "The frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit."

Shortly after Christmas it was possible to walk into a US retailer and pick up a PS3 without having to pre-order one, or get up at the crack of dawn and stand in line waiting for the shops to open.

Then we had reports of Japanese retailers knocking 20 percent off the PS3 price in Japan to try and shift units. Clearly this is down to the fact that PS3 is still waiting for a killer app. Karraker added that the company is selling all 100,000 PS3 units it's shipping into the US each week, reports Next Gen.

He also took time to have a pop at Nintendo, saying "Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else." Thanks for that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=156548

Not quite sure why he considers an impulse buy to be a derogatory term... If Sony had sold 5 million PS3s to impulse buyers, I'm sure they'd be happy.

Damien
02-02-2007, 09:23
Sony have spent most of their PR time slamming the Wii, unlike MS who have been good sports. They have a long history of being quite harsh about their rivals and they have a lot of fanboys who will likely fall into the same way of thinking

Wii is outselling PS3 by a massive amount. Sony must be quite upset. They did almost destory Ninty (and did Sega)

shawty
02-02-2007, 12:47
Sony have spent most of their PR time slamming the Wii, unlike MS who have been good sports. They have a long history of being quite harsh about their rivals and they have a lot of fanboys who will likely fall into the same way of thinking

Wii is outselling PS3 by a massive amount. Sony must be quite upset. They did almost destory Ninty (and did Sega)

The sooner you realise that Microsoft are the same the better.

http://www.absolutegadget.com/news/games/gates-slams-rival-consoles-20070119.html

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8058.cfm

It has gone on for years and is nothing new.

Stephen
02-02-2007, 17:09
Shawty, Whilst Microsoft may come out saying things about other consoles/companies their points are usually valid. Where as Sony Over the last few years have come out with some of the most random quotes that end up making them sound like complete idiots. Lying about their own products to make them sound amazing and trying to diss other companies and ending up the butt of their own PR peoples quotes.

shawty
02-02-2007, 20:09
Shawty, Whilst Microsoft may come out saying things about other consoles/companies their points are usually valid. Where as Sony Over the last few years have come out with some of the most random quotes that end up making them sound like complete idiots. Lying about their own products to make them sound amazing and trying to diss other companies and ending up the butt of their own PR peoples quotes.

Im sorry but thats just the same as any other company, even out of the gaming world. You wont just find Sony doing it.

Uncle Peter
02-02-2007, 20:52
Hmm not wishing to appear incendiary but I don't believe that Microsoft have stooped quite so low as to use a piece of vapourware to promote it's hardware yet.

Gran Turismo Mobile anyone?

Bill C
03-02-2007, 11:50
Im sorry but thats just the same as any other company, even out of the gaming world. You wont just find Sony doing it.

How can you possibly defend a company that lies and installs illegal software on pc's, Leaves them open to hackers and then denies at first that they did it. ????????

Sorry but which illegal root kit has Microsoft installed lately ?????

Stephen
03-02-2007, 13:04
Sony makes up more guff about their products more than any other company. I never said no one else does it, but Sony are the biggest load of spin merchants ever.

shawty
03-02-2007, 13:15
How can you possibly defend a company that lies and installs illegal software on pc's, Leaves them open to hackers and then denies at first that they did it. ????????

Sorry but which illegal root kit has Microsoft installed lately ?????

Did i say that, no i never. What i ssaid was Sony are not the only company that lie about there products plenty of big companys do it.

Bill C
03-02-2007, 13:40
Did i say that, no i never. What i ssaid was Sony are not the only company that lie about there products plenty of big companys do it.

Glad to see you admit they lie , Good for you.
So on that point can we trust them to produced the product they say they will.
Can we trust them not to include hidden extras in all the products they bring out. :)

My advice is if its Sony expect to have some hidden extra's and make sure when you connect there over priced over rated console to your home network make sure there not infecting you pc with a root kit.

shawty
03-02-2007, 13:49
Glad to see you admit they lie , Good for you.
So on that point can we trust them to produced the product they say they will.
Can we trust them not to include hidden extras in all the products they bring out. :)

My advice is if its Sony expect to have some hidden extra's and make sure when you connect there over priced over rated console to your home network make sure there not infecting you pc with a root kit.

I admited it before today, i know they lie as do every other big company. It didnt stop them doing well with the PS1 and PS2 did it. Nor has it stopped any other big company doing well. The PS3 its self is not over priced for what it actually is though, it might be expensive to you but dont tar everyone with the same brush.

SnoopZ
03-02-2007, 13:56
I admited it before today, i know they lie as do every other big company. It didnt stop them doing well with the PS1 and PS2 did it. Nor has it stopped any other big company doing well. The PS3 its self is not over priced for what it actually is though, it might be expensive to you but dont tar everyone with the same brush.

It's expensive.

shawty
03-02-2007, 14:18
It's expensive.

Its not expensive for what it is. Its expensive to you because you may not want blu ray ect ect. But for what the machine actually is its cheap.

Gareth
03-02-2007, 14:26
The PS3 its self is not over priced for what it actually is though, it might be expensive to you but dont tar everyone with the same brush.That depends what you're using it for. If you're using it as a console to play games on and a Blu-Ray player to watch HD films on then it's not more expensive than the competition. If, however, you're not interested in having a Blu-Ray player and would only use the PS3 to play games, then it is more expensive than a comparative games machine (the 360).

It all boils down to what the intended purpose of the machine is.

Inevitably, the price of standalone Blu-Ray players will eventually plummet and the build quality/features list will increase.

shawty
03-02-2007, 14:35
That depends what you're using it for. If you're using it as a console to play games on and a Blu-Ray player to watch HD films on then it's not more expensive than the competition. If, however, you're not interested in having a Blu-Ray player and would only use the PS3 to play games, then it is more expensive than a comparative games machine (the 360).

It all boils down to what the intended purpose of the machine is.

Inevitably, the price of standalone Blu-Ray players will eventually plummet and the build quality/features list will increase.

Yes but the point is for what that machine actually is, means its not expensive.

Gareth
03-02-2007, 15:33
Yes but the point is for what that machine actually is, means its not expensive.Not if you don't need/want half of what it offers. It could be made out of diamonds but if you don't like diamonds (or you don't want to have to replace your current collection of rubies) then it's needlessly expensive.

It's only inexpensive if the features you're paying for meet your requirements. Turns out that for a lot of people, the Blu-Ray drive in a PS3 is nothing more than an expensive DVD player

shawty
03-02-2007, 15:35
Not if you don't need/want half of what it offers. It could be made out of diamonds but if you don't like diamonds (or you don't want to have to replace your current collection of rubies) then it's needlessly expensive.

It's only inexpensive if the features you're paying for meet your requirements. Turns out that for a lot of people, the Blu-Ray drive in a PS3 is nothing more than an expensive DVD player

Not true, simply putting like that doesnt work. Your not forced to buy it so if you think its expensive for a gaming machine then you dont buy it. The PS3 is cheap for what it actually is regardless if you want it or not.

Uncle Peter
03-02-2007, 15:45
Hmm it's extremely expensive if you wish to pre-order one from HMV. They'll even throw in a PSP if you hand over 675 of your hard earned English pounds

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72601

....checks calendar to see if born yesterday.

shawty
03-02-2007, 15:47
Hmm it's extremely expensive if you wish to pre-order one from HMV. They'll even throw in a PSP if you hand over 675 of your hard earned English pounds

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72601

....checks calendar to see if born yesterday.

Yes now i admit thats stupid.

Damien
03-02-2007, 15:49
Not true, simply putting like that doesnt work. Your not forced to buy it so if you think its expensive for a gaming machine then you dont buy it. The PS3 is cheap for what it actually is regardless if you want it or not.

Yeah, but most people want a games machine. Thats what the last two playstations were.

Gareth
03-02-2007, 15:54
Not true, simply putting like that doesnt work. Your not forced to buy it so if you think its expensive for a gaming machine then you dont buy it. The PS3 is cheap for what it actually is regardless if you want it or not.Where did I say people were being forced to buy a PS3? Obviously they're not forced to... and lots are demonstrating this by not buying them :p:

However, you are forced to buy a Blu-Ray drive as Sony haven't produced a (cheaper) PS3 with just a DVD player, despite the games not requiring the additional capacity that BR affords. And even if games in the future do require the additional space, there's nothing to stop the developers using more than 1 DVD (I remember Doom came on more than 1 floppy disk).

For those who want a BR drive and a games console, it's a good deal - and it'll be an even better deal when Sony reduce the price. However, if you're only looking for a games console, then it's not a good deal as there is a comparable console available for less - this makes it, comparatively speaking, expensive.

Anyone else think this thread is going round in circles?

Uncle Peter
03-02-2007, 16:02
One of Sony's justifications for basing the console on the Blu-Ray standard was that their idea of NG games would take advantage of the increased capacity of the media over DVD9.

However, this has apparently turned around and bitten them quite badly with Bethesda's claim that they've had to duplicate data on Oblivion to compensate for the poor transfer rate of the drive.

shawty
03-02-2007, 16:17
Yeah, but most people want a games machine. Thats what the last two playstations were.

Well we will see how the sales figures are in April like ive said numerous times.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Where did I say people were being forced to buy a PS3? Obviously they're not forced to... and lots are demonstrating this by not buying them :p:

However, you are forced to buy a Blu-Ray drive as Sony haven't produced a (cheaper) PS3 with just a DVD player, despite the games not requiring the additional capacity that BR affords. And even if games in the future do require the additional space, there's nothing to stop the developers using more than 1 DVD (I remember Doom came on more than 1 floppy disk).

For those who want a BR drive and a games console, it's a good deal - and it'll be an even better deal when Sony reduce the price. However, if you're only looking for a games console, then it's not a good deal as there is a comparable console available for less - this makes it, comparatively speaking, expensive.

Anyone else think this thread is going round in circles?

Your not forced to buy a blu ray drive because your not forced to buy a PS3. If you think its to expensive then you dont buy it. Its not expensive for what it actually is. Its like saying a ferrari is expensive to ford escort, well yeah it is so dont buy a ferrari but as it stands the ferrari is not expensive for what it is. And the PS3 is actually on target to be where the Xbox 360 is in the same timescale. So in that case the Xbox 360 is selling the same as Sony.

Bill C
03-02-2007, 17:32
Well we will see how the sales figures are in April like ive said numerous times.

---------- Post added at 16:17 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Your not forced to buy a blu ray drive because your not forced to buy a PS3. If you think its to expensive then you dont buy it. Its not expensive for what it actually is. Its like saying a ferrari is expensive to ford escort, well yeah it is so dont buy a ferrari but as it stands the ferrari is not expensive for what it is. And the PS3 is actually on target to be where the Xbox 360 is in the same timescale. So in that case the Xbox 360 is selling the same as Sony.

So what you are saying i think is

if you dont need blue ray and all you want is a games machine then buy a 360 as it costs less and does the job perfectly.

Bulky
03-02-2007, 17:52
i have owned ps1, dreamcast,ps2,x-box, and i'm getting a 360 , the thing i don't like about the sony machine is it has blu ray (which i don't want) but i also do not want the x-box hd player , i don't like the fact you have no choice with the ps3 you have to pay extra because of the blu ray feature, i will make the decision myself when both formats are fully established. as a games machine there is nothing between them so why pay the extra cash for a feature that next year stand alone blu ray or hddvd players will be cheaper still

shawty
03-02-2007, 17:57
So what you are saying i think is

if you dont need blue ray and all you want is a games machine then buy a 360 as it costs less and does the job perfectly.

If you dont want a cheap blu ray player and just a games console then the Wii and 360 are best for you. Me i will most likely own at least 2 of them sometime in the next 5 years with the PS3 being one of them. That doesnt seem to be stopping the sales being on target with the xbox 360 though. But for what you actually get in the PS3 it is not expensive, no ifs or buts. Its when it comes down to personal choice and opinion that it becomes expensive to someone. But for what the machine actualy is, its cheap.

Gareth
03-02-2007, 18:21
Your not forced to buy a blu ray drive because your not forced to buy a PS3. If you think its to expensive then you dont buy it. Its not expensive for what it actually is. Its like saying a ferrari is expensive to ford escort, well yeah it is so dont buy a ferrari but as it stands the ferrari is not expensive for what it is. And the PS3 is actually on target to be where the Xbox 360 is in the same timescale. So in that case the Xbox 360 is selling the same as Sony.Hahaha, what a crap analogy... a Ferrari is a super car, a Ford Escort is an everyday, about-town car. The 360 and PS3, however, are both from the same "generation" of gaming consoles, and technically-speaking they are comparable.

Also, you appear to be unaware that part of the attraction of owning a Ferrari is that it is so expensive that it makes them that much more exclusive - Ferraris are not intended to be mass market cars. Ferrari even limit the production of certain models to ensure exclusivity - combined with waiting lists for new models, etc...

If you look at the actual cost of producing a Ferrari and compare it with the list price of a brand new Ferrari, then I'd say it is expensive - the starting price of the Ferrari 599 is $250,000, and they charge an extra $10,000 for a semi-automatic gearbox. The individual components do not come anywhere near that price, and even adding-in manufacturing costs, R&D, distribution, cost of dealerships, etc... you are way over the asking price. However, this isn't really relevant for Ferrari, because, as I said, it's not a mass-produced product that its manufacturer wants to see in every household - Sony, on the other hand, would dearly love to repeat the success of the PS2 and dominate the gaming console again by having tens of millions of their consoles installed across the globe.

For what it's worth, a better analogy would have been to compare a Ferrari to the McLaren F1 (the sports car not the Formula 1 racing car). Compared to the McLaren, the Ferrari is cheaper - but that still doesn't make either car good value for money as they are both expensive.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:11 ----------

i have owned ps1, dreamcast,ps2,x-box, and i'm getting a 360 , the thing i don't like about the sony machine is it has blu ray (which i don't want) but i also do not want the x-box hd player , i don't like the fact you have no choice with the ps3 you have to pay extra because of the blu ray feature, i will make the decision myself when both formats are fully established. as a games machine there is nothing between them so why pay the extra cash for a feature that next year stand alone blu ray or hddvd players will be cheaper stillPlus, you can hedge your bets and buy a combined HD-DVD / Blu-Ray standalone player. Judging by the DVD player market, these will become commodity items that will cost you less than the price of a film you'll watch on it.

shawty
03-02-2007, 18:24
Hahaha, what a crap analogy... a Ferrari is a super car, a Ford Escort is an everyday, about-town car. The 360 and PS3, however, are both from the same "generation" of gaming consoles, and technically-speaking they are comparable.

Also, you appear to be unaware that part of the attraction of owning a Ferrari is that it is so expensive that it makes them that much more exclusive - Ferraris are not intended to be mass market cars. Ferrari even limit the production of certain models to ensure exclusivity - combined with waiting lists for new models, etc...

If you look at the actual cost of producing a Ferrari and compare it with the list price of a brand new Ferrari, then I'd say it is expensive - the starting price of the Ferrari 599 is $250,000, and they charge an extra $10,000 for a semi-automatic gearbox. The individual components do not come anywhere near that price, and even adding-in manufacturing costs, R&D, distribution, cost of dealerships, etc... you are way over the asking price. However, this isn't really relevant for Ferrari, because, as I said, it's not a mass-produced product that its manufacturer wants to see in every household - Sony, on the other hand, would dearly love to repeat the success of the PS2 and dominate the gaming console again by having tens of millions of their consoles installed across the globe.

For what it's worth, a better analogy would have been to compare a Ferrari to the McLaren F1 (the sports car not the Formula 1 racing car). Compared to the McLaren, the Ferrari is cheaper - but that still doesn't make either car good value for money as they are both expensive.

Crap anolgy then, but you got the point. The PS3 as it is is not expensive, and i dont even understand how you would say it is. Gaming wise there is already 2 machines out that you cant comapre to the PS3 because they are different ( blu ray ) If you want to comapre the 360 to PS3 then add the HD DVD drive onto the 360 and you to around the same price, and that price is cheap for a gaming machine and HD drive.

Damien
03-02-2007, 18:26
Crap anolgy then, but you got the point. The PS3 as it is is not expensive, and i dont even understand how you would say it is. Gaming wise there is already 2 machines out that you cant comapre to the PS3 because they are different ( blu ray ) If you want to comapre the 360 to PS3 then add the HD DVD drive onto the 360 and you to around the same price, and that price is cheap for a gaming machine and HD drive.

Yes, but the idea is that people do not want to pay so much extra for a add on. Which they do not have to do with the HD-DVD. If sony did a version without blu-ray then it would not be a problem.

You bascially saying the PS3s main selling point is Blu-Ray which is not enough for most people.

ethan_hunt202
03-02-2007, 18:32
It's enough for me

Bill C

OK forget the blueray for a while.

No blue ray
No hard drive

Remember forget the blue ray

If you wanted just a gaming machine which one is better value.

JUST GAMING

Which do you think mummy and daddy would buy when they see the price of them both. Remember Mommie and Daddy are not interested in Blue ray or anything ray and properly don't understand what the hell blue ray is ?, They just see the games machine

So which one do you think the wallet will open for.

Wii
sony ps3
xbox360

????????

SnoopZ
This thread is going round and round in circles and it won't stop unless we all agree with shawty, as hes the only one defending the PS3. Hes kind of sounding like a parrot now!

Bulky
You bascially saying the PS3s main selling point is Blu-Ray which is not enough for most people.

not enough, you couldn't be more right ????, its called a games console for a good reason , to play games on , don't add the hddvd player on to the x-box - 360 and it completely trounces the price of the ps3 , yeah it won't play hd movies , who cares , i bought a games console to play games on , if i wanted a hddvd drive then fair enough it would be comparable to ps3 but at least i have the choice with the x-box .

Gareth
03-02-2007, 18:38
at least i have the choice with the x-box .This sums it all up for me :)

SnoopZ
03-02-2007, 18:42
This sums it all up for me :)

I couldn't agree more.

shawty
03-02-2007, 18:52
Yes, but the idea is that people do not want to pay so much extra for a add on. Which they do not have to do with the HD-DVD. If sony did a version without blu-ray then it would not be a problem.

It is enough though thats the point, its on target to be at the same sales as the 360 in the same time frame, which is just a games console.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

OK forget the blueray for a while.

No blue ray
No hard drive

Remember forget the blue ray

If you wanted just a gaming machine which one is better value.

JUST GAMING

Which do you think mummy and daddy would buy when they see the price of them both. Remember Mommie and Daddy are not interested in Blue ray or anything ray and properly don't understand what the hell blue ray is ?, They just see the games machine

So which one do you think the wallet will open for.

Wii
sony ps3
xbox360

????????

Ive already stated to you that im not answering again. My point is for what it is its cheap, you cant get round that fact.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

not enough, you couldn't be more right ????, its called a games console for a good reason , to play games on , don't add the hddvd player on to the x-box - 360 and it completely trounces the price of the ps3 , yeah it won't play hd movies , who cares , i bought a games console to play games on , if i wanted a hddvd drive then fair enough it would be comparable to ps3 but at least i have the choice with the x-box .

Thats like saying you didnt have a choice with the PS3, but you did because you didnt buy it and that was your choice. Im not saying its right or wrong but PS3 could have a system without bluray has they are using the games on blu ray.

Gareth
03-02-2007, 19:11
Thats like saying you didnt have a choice with the PS3, but you did because you didnt buy it and that was your choice. Eat your heart out, Henry Ford :rolleyes:

shawty
03-02-2007, 19:14
Eat your heart out, Henry Ford :rolleyes:

whats wrong with that? Its coorect.

Bulky
03-02-2007, 22:11
Thats like saying you didnt have a choice with the PS3, but you did because you didnt buy it and that was your choice. Im not saying its right or wrong but PS3 could have a system without bluray has they are using the games on blu ray.

ok i think i have de-coded what you were trying to say after many beers :) , you are right , sony have not given me the chance to buy a ps3 , as it is too expensive as i don't need to play hd movies and i want to just play games on my GAMES console they didn't give me the choice to just pay for a games console as microsoft have done .

Bill C
03-02-2007, 22:26
ok i think i have de-coded what you were trying to say after many beers :) , you are right , sony have not given me the chance to buy a ps3 , as it is too expensive as i don't need to play hd movies and i want to just play games on my GAMES console they didn't give me the choice to just pay for a games console as microsoft have done .

So what you are saying and i agree with you is

If you want to play games only get a wii or a xbox360 and save yourself a packet.

If you want a overpriced games console then buy a Sony and hope they have not included extras you did not ask for.

Bulky
03-02-2007, 22:34
So what you are saying and i agree with you is

If you want to play games only get a wii or a xbox360 and save yourself a packet.

If you want a overpriced games console then buy a Sony and hope they have not included extras you did not ask for.

:Yes: couldn't have put it any simpler :)

Gareth
03-02-2007, 22:37
If you want a overpriced games console then buy a Sony and hope they have not included extras you did not ask for....and even if they have, Sony will be so arrogant as to assume you're so stupid that you won't even know what it is (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/09/sony_drm_who_cares/), and that you won't care about it.

Bill C
03-02-2007, 23:47
...and even if they have, Sony will be so arrogant as to assume you're so stupid that you won't even know what it is (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/09/sony_drm_who_cares/), and that you won't care about it.

Now wasn't that nice of Sony. Whats up there sleeve for a LAN connected ps3 i wonder ?